My 0.02 review of Sun Princess

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

TopofWorld was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Disclaimer: highly subjective review.

On board Sun Princess 13/07 to 20/07 Barcelona to Rome. 

Boarding process: a bit chaotic due to crowds, but we were lucky to quickly find a porter and immediately went to security. After that the whole process lasted 20 minutes and we were on board. 8/10

Everything was okay, we had drinks, went to muster station, had lunch at the MDR 6th floor. Cabins were ready quite before 2 and luggage was delivered before 4. Cabin stewart very friendly and efficient. Quite good. First impressions 10/10.

Cabin: Deck 16, category D0. Balcony is huge with 2 loungers, 2 chairs a small table and still plenty of room. A bit windy, but quite enjoyable.  Cabin has lots of storage space etc. As expected. What we did not expect is the twice-a-day cabin makeover. We thought this was a thing of the past. 10/10.

MDR: in the pluses food is always hot (a rarity for cruise ships), service is exceedingly good, and food is very good (compared to the 2023 TA with Epic). In the minuses, not as a large selection, but still you find something to eat. 9/10.

Buffet: this might raise some objections but I like that they now serve you your food. You might wait a bit, but people now do not get to touch the food, sneeze over it etc. Lunch selection is quite varied and food is tasty (again compared to NCL Epic last year). You will definitely find something to eat, and it is usually hot enough. 8/10.

Butcher's block by Dario. One of the 2 specialty dinners we got in our package. Honestly, a big nothing. Strange concept, a guy walking around with trays of food ringing a bell, slow (very very very slow) service, and food was inedible and no plating. They did not even ask how you like your steak. Steak is cooked unseasoned and you get a small plate of salt and pepper to do it yourself once served????!!!!! The guy in charge asked us how eve4ything was, but was not really interested in the answer. I would not go there even if they paid us. 0/10.

Arena: kinda small for a ship this size but shows are repeated and if you go early you always get a seat. One show with a guy (Mike??) playing music and singing oldies was okay. 5/10. The pirate show lasted about 1 hour and it was quite good production-wise with impressive costumes, story, etc. 10/10.

To be continued. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

Cabin is typical of a cruise ship, with plenty of room for two. Balcony is huge, category D0 will be a Sanctuary category as of October. Right now is simply a premium Deluxe Balcony. Cabin. Has a shower. Many fellow cruisers here in CC complained of the automatic night lights, but we find them quite useful. A/C works beautifully and TV is probably 70 inches or more. No coffee or tea amenities but you can request them if you have no package. Room service is quick with 20-30 minutes to deliver. So far no wrong deliveries.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the review. I look forward to reading more.

We board in 24 days time and plan to eat on deck 6 each night at 7.30 pm (except for specialty nights). Was the MDR full for fixed dining. I presume it's all two and four seating tables?

Fixed dining. 7:30pm. No waiting at all. Always the same table even though we did n9t ask for it. Lines at DK7 are huge. We prefer deck 6. Worked better for us.

48 minutes ago, TopofWorld said:

Fixed dining. 7:30pm. No waiting at all. Always the same table even though we did n9t ask for it. Lines at DK7 are huge. We prefer deck 6. Worked better for us.

Thanks @TopofWorld

I'm hoping we get a table near the panoramic windows looking astern. Deck 7 and 8 have no appeal to us whatsoever.

Did you try any of the specialty restaurants?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TopofWorld said:

Cabin is typical of a cruise ship, with plenty of room for two. Balcony is huge, category D0 will be a Sanctuary category as of October. Right now is simply a premium Deluxe Balcony. Cabin. Has a shower. Many fellow cruisers here in CC complained of the automatic night lights, but we find them quite useful. A/C works beautifully and TV is probably 70 inches or more. No coffee or tea amenities but you can request them if you have no package. Room service is quick with 20-30 minutes to deliver. So far no wrong deliveries.

Great pics. After you leave please post cabin number.

i have a D0aft & a S9 booked.  After Oct 

Edited by dog
  • Like 1

I am very much enjoying your comments.  Since we have many of our dinners in the various specialty restaurants, I was particularly interested in your comments regarding Butcher's Block by Dario.

Sorry for the delay but it was dinner time. MDR, walked right in to the usual table. Zero wait. Beef Wellington was offered and it was REALLY good. Tomorrow we will dine at Rudi's and I will let you know. But, IMHO, as a cook for 25 years (NOT a chef) I would advise trying anything else but Dario, however YMMV. 

back to scoring. Many CC fellow cruisers often mentioned the constant upsetting, but we did not feel it. Nickel and dime is there, so you have to be vigilant. Limited number of shops, so no worries there. Overall spending vibe 7/10.

Guest services: of course the Princess IT messed up and their system says my wife is not premier, but I am. So she is being charged for everything.  GS recognizes  the issue, but after 3 visits, the problem remains. But, I give them that they are polite. 3/10.

Laundromat: they do exist, but only 2 machines per deck!!!! Either bring enough clothes or go there at around midnight. Still, kudos for making them available with free soap supplies. 7/10. To be continued.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, TopofWorld said:

Sorry for the delay but it was dinner time. MDR, walked right in to the usual table. Zero wait. Beef Wellington was offered and it was REALLY good. Tomorrow we will dine at Rudi's and I will let you know. But, IMHO, as a cook for 25 years (NOT a chef) I would advise trying anything else but Dario, however YMMV. 

back to scoring. Many CC fellow cruisers often mentioned the constant upsetting, but we did not feel it. Nickel and dime is there, so you have to be vigilant. Limited number of shops, so no worries there. Overall spending vibe 7/10.

Guest services: of course the Princess IT messed up and their system says my wife is not premier, but I am. So she is being charged for everything.  GS recognizes  the issue, but after 3 visits, the problem remains. But, I give them that they are polite. 3/10.

Laundromat: they do exist, but only 2 machines per deck!!!! Either bring enough clothes or go there at around midnight. Still, kudos for making them available with free soap supplies. 7/10. To be continued.

At least they now have instructions. When we first boarded you really didn’t know what the different settings meant!

Hi ev1. Dinner at Catch by Rudi tonight.  Honestly the BEST dinner we had in a long time. Impeccable service, incredible tastes, quantity more than plenty, quality off the charts. Solid 12 out of 10. And that's  me being stingy. 

Now some pet peeves to even the score.

1. Swimming pools: too few for the size of the ship. Difficult to get a chair (blame the entitled chair hogs), and I believe that Princess in the process of creating more suites they limited the common spaces.

2. Crew assistance chat: Too little too slow. Usually takes between 7 to 10 minutes for a reply, making it impossible for a chat. Novel concept, but needs more staff. 

3. Fresh juice: what is that thing they are trying to pass as juice? Better use it as engine cleaner.

4. Most bars and cafes are now open space. This maximizes public space but limits the feeling of privacy and warmth. Probably younger passengers appreciate it more.

As I said the above are just minor gripes the old geezer in me tries hard to find and complain. Technologically the ship is gorgeous, and the positives outweigh the negatives. Plus, we are vacationing cruising in a brand new ship, with the crew trying its best. Most of the positives I credit the crew with, most of the negatives I blame corporate. A solid 8 out of 10.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TopofWorld said:

3. Fresh juice: what is that thing they are trying to pass as juice? Better use it as engine cleaner.

I never had the chance to try the fresh squeezed jar bar.  Now, I regret not doing it on previous cruises.

What upsets/disappoints me is that Princess introduces these innovative "new" items as the best of the best.  It doesn't take long for them to modify the offerings.  Fresh squeezed juices from real fruit does not equate to something that is poured into a machine from a box.

Then they are introducing the NEW...best of the best pizza.  Will it show up at Slices for free or be part of casual dining pizza...or better yet, a surcharge to upgrade to this pizza at a casual dining venue.

They included two (2) a day sundaes and then increased the price of Plus/Premier.  Who eats 2 a day?  Maybe one during the entire cruise or 1 in your lifetime.

This is a laundry list of other introductions that have benefitted Princess and not the passengers.  Just sad.

BTW...I do like your assessment/ratings for your review.  Thank you.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Then they are introducing the NEW...best of the best pizza.  Will it show up at Slices for free or be part of casual dining pizza...or better yet, a surcharge to upgrade to this pizza at a casual dining venue

On the thread where this new pizza offering is discussed, the consensus was that these new pizzas would be available in Alfredo's/Gigi's casual dining venue.  Whether this consensus was based on something official from Princess or whether it was everybody's best guess, is not clear to me.  However, it makes sense.  Obviously, Princess is paying to use this guy's name.  Several posters familiar with his stores in the North Bay area say he is the real deal.  To me it only makes sense that Princess will try to recover that expense.  Personally, based on the comments from the posters who know of him, I would happy to pay to get my medallion scanned in order to try it.

• 4 weeks later...

I was on this exact same Cruise staying in a signature Suite. I agree with virtually everything the op States especially the fact that the Butcher Block by Dario is an absolute waste of time. I would certainly rate Sun princess as the best overall ship I've cruised on

On 7/16/2024 at 11:59 AM, XBGuy said:

I am very much enjoying your comments.  Since we have many of our dinners in the various specialty restaurants, I was particularly interested in your comments regarding Butcher's Block by Dario.

Seriously the Butcher Block by Dario is the absolute worst dining experience I've had on a cruise

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Styles Bichley said:

Seriously the Butcher Block by Dario is the absolute worst dining experience I've had on a cruise

C'mon, don't sugar coat it.  Tell us how you really feel.  😂

• Haha 3

Currently on Sun Princess and the “wow” factor isn’t quite as good as our inaugural cruise on Celebrity Edge back in 2018.

Will try Sabatini’s tonight. Hoping it as good as Emerald Princess and better than Regal Princess 🤞🙏

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Esprit said:

Currently on Sun Princess and the “wow” factor isn’t quite as good as our inaugural cruise on Celebrity Edge back in 2018.

Will try Sabatini’s tonight. Hoping it as good as Emerald Princess and better than Regal Princess 🤞🙏

Edited by Styles Bichley
double post

6 hours ago, Suite Susie said:

We are booked, think we might be cancelling!

You will be doing yourself a favor.  It was included in our "package" but they would have to pay me to eat there again and every other restaurant on the ship would need to be closed.