Family of nine left behind in remote Alaska, charged $9K by Norwegian Cruise Lines

A youtube person that I follow discussed this.  They were part of a larger family group left behind due to independent (but maybe NCL excursion) tour operator.  One of the passports accidentally not left at dock so they couldn't enter Canada and fee was charged by some government type agency due to not stopping at a foreign port during cruise.  NCL to reimburse for that charge plus expenses plus credit for prorated days of cruise missed plus 20% future cruise credit (if I remember all correctly)

• Like 1

Something is odd.  The lumberjack show is a short walk from the piers so why would they not have just walked back or arranged taxis if need be.  Why just sit there waiting?

There are also pharmacies in Ketchikan who could have called their home pharmacy and arranged a few days worth of medication for them.

People really need to take some ownership of problems and not wait for others to solve them.

If this was a NCL excursion, good lesson for those who keep saying the ship will always wait for you if on a ship's excursion.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, drew69 said:

Something is odd.  The lumberjack show is a short walk from the piers so why would they not have just walked back or arranged taxis if need be.  Why just sit there waiting?

There are also pharmacies in Ketchikan who could have called their home pharmacy and arranged a few days worth of medication for them.

People really need to take some ownership of problems and not wait for others to solve them.

If this was a NCL excursion, good lesson for those who keep saying the ship will always wait for you if on a ship's excursion.

NCL usually docks at Ward Cove, which is NOT within walking distance of the Lumberjack show.

Yes, it was apparently a NCL-sponsored excursion and from the article I read, the responsibility lies with the tour-operator that was not checking tickets for the return trip. They were told there would be another bus so by the time they realized they needed a plan B, it was too late.

As to NCL waiting, they only wait for the tour operator to return. If a passenger is not on that bus for whatever reason, NCL would most likely be unaware of the issue and that passenger is a no-show at that point.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, julig22 said:

NCL usually docks at Ward Cove, which is NOT within walking distance of the Lumberjack show.

Yes, it was apparently a NCL-sponsored excursion and from the article I read, the responsibility lies with the tour-operator that was not checking tickets for the return trip. They were told there would be another bus so by the time they realized they needed a plan B, it was too late.

As to NCL waiting, they only wait for the tour operator to return. If a passenger is not on that bus for whatever reason, NCL would most likely be unaware of the issue and that passenger is a no-show at that point.

I didn't realize it was docked at Ward Cove which does make a difference.  Still, they knew how long the drive there was so how could they not realize they needed a plan until it was too late.  As the all aboard time approached, you stop waiting for the tour operator to return and arrange transportation ASAP.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

Ketchikan is “remote Alaska?” LOL, okay.

I know and how did the NY Post get this story about a Tulsa family.  Someone is sensationalizing and whining to shake NCL down for a bigger payout.  They will then claim they are telling their story just "to help others"

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, drew69 said:

I didn't realize it was docked at Ward Cove which does make a difference.  Still, they knew how long the drive there was so how could they not realize they needed a plan until it was too late.  As the all aboard time approached, you stop waiting for the tour operator to return and arrange transportation ASAP.

The lumberjack show often ends within minutes of all-aboard (been there, done that). So even if they had chosen to try to find a cab, there might not be one immediately available.

But what they should have done is call the port number listed on the FreeStyle daily to let the ship know the situation - and get instructions from there.  The ship would have probably sent a bus for them - or told them to get a cab, the ship would wait.

But the bigger question would be how they were the only ones apparently left behind? I've been on that tour and yes, there are people trying to take the tour bus instead of the NCL shuttle (which is probably no longer running by that time). But everyone should have tickets and/or stickers - and the tour operator should be checking.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, julig22 said:

But what they should have done is call the port number listed on the FreeStyle daily to let the ship know the situation - and get instructions from there.  The ship would have probably sent a bus for them - or told them to get a cab, the ship would wait.

I'm not sure about which "bus" but they had tickets.  The "driver" wasn't checking tickets, but counting heads and when it was full, he told people to wait for the next one, but there wasn't a next one.  They did call the port number, and either the port or NCL sent someone to get them, but the ship had still left before they got to the port.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

I'm not sure about which "bus" but they had tickets.  The "driver" wasn't checking tickets, but counting heads and when it was full, he told people to wait for the next one, but there wasn't a next one.  They did call the port number, and either the port or NCL sent someone to get them, but the ship had still left before they got to the port.

Not sure of your point? Yes, it was the tour operator not checking tickets for those on a tour. I've been on a tour that ends at the LumberJack show and it can be quite confusing with respect to which bus you should take, even when busses are clearly labeled and there are people trying to guide people to the correct bus. So people that should be on bus #1 get on #2, then there's no room left on bus #2 but plenty of room on bus #1 and so on.

They were given bad information about another bus. Not your typical "pier runner" situation, if everything stated is how it actually happened (kinda a coincidence that only this family was left behind).

As to calling the port - you obviously have to do that BEFORE the ship leaves port. But there are a few missing pieces - and it's also possible the ship couldn't wait for whatever reason. And in that case, NCL's responsibility is to get them to the next port if possible. For various reasons, that wasn't possible and NCL is paying their expenses. And looking for a new tour operator LOL.

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

Not sure of your point?

only that they did call the port - although they probably waited for the next bus first.  It sounded like the ship was still there when they called and NCL tried to get them to the next port but the missing passport . . . 

2 hours ago, drew69 said:

NCL docks in Ward Cove which is (I believe) about 7 miles from the Lumberjack show.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

only that they did call the port - although they probably waited for the next bus first.  It sounded like the ship was still there when they called and NCL tried to get them to the next port but the missing passport . . . 

From the NCL response, it sounds like NCL tried to call the missing family and they (NCL) called the port authority. Or maybe they both called.

The cruise line shared this statement at 8 p.m. on July 16:

“On the afternoon of Friday, July 12, a family of nine guests missed the ship’s all aboard time in Ketchikan, Alaska due to a misstep by a local tour operator. When the guests did not return to the ship at the published time, we attempted to contact them but were unable to reach them. As such, we alerted the local port agent in Ketchikan and requested that they assist the family with booking a hotel for the night. As the guests would be unable to downline in the next port of call, Victoria, British Columbia, the port agent also helped the guests with securing flights to Seattle the following day, July 13.

We will be reimbursing the family for all of the out-of-pocket expenses they incurred over these two days, as a result of missing the ship in Ketchikan, including meals, accommodations, etc. Reimbursements will be processed once receipts for these expenses are provided to us. Additionally, we have already initiated the process to refund the family for the fee imposed by the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, as a result of the guests not visiting a foreign port prior to returning to the U.S., as required when an itinerary originates from the U.S. in accordance with the Passenger Vessel Services Act. In addition, these guests will be receiving a pro-rated refund for the two cruise days they missed. As a gesture of goodwill, the company will also be providing each of the nine guests with a Future Cruse Credit in the form of a 20 percent discount of their cruise fare that can be used towards their next voyage.”

I believe it was in Ketchikan that the captain once told us that Ketchikan is one port where they can't afford to wait because it's already full steam ahead to make it to Victoria in time.

Word to the wise - always leave your passport in your safe if you aren't carrying it with you! And apparently the ship will try to contact you if you don't make it back - not the first time I've heard mention of the ship trying to call passengers while in port.

Edited by julig22
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

When we were there last year, there were two sets of busses one for excursions and another for shuttle. We did not go to downtown Ketchikan but to a native village outside of town. We were offered the choice of being dropped off in town and finding our own way back.

It sounds like they are going to be reimbursed for their expenses. I am not sure if their going to the press had anything to do with it. I do know that calling the call center is worthless as they have limited access to specifics of what happened on the ship and there is going to be lots of back and forth between the ship and HQ, while the ship is trying to get on with the next sailing.

What about the family members left onboard? Did they not hear the names and contact the crew on their behalf? Did they not try to contact them? I think we are hearing NCL defending their position and the family stating theirs and somewhere in the middle is what really happened.

One last point, the distance from Ketchikan to Victoria is quite large and in good conditions requires a good deal of speed to make it, so waiting around may not have possible.

46 minutes ago, bonvoyagie said:

On last point, the distance from Ketchikan to Victoria is quite large and in good conditions requires a good deal of speed to make it, so waiting around may not have possible.

Then Norwegian (or any cruise line) should not make promises they can't keep.  They keep selling you the ship-sponsored excursions at a higher price, promising that they'll wait for you, and they didn't.  The independent operator acted as an agent of NCL, so NCL screwed up; and they need to own it.  

I almost never buy the ship excursions anyway.  I always thought that promise was a bit empty.  The independents usually offer just about the same guarantee.  And sometimes in different circumstances, you'll usually get your money back or a raincheck from an independent when you won't from the cruise line.  So why pay extra for the ship tour? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bonvoyagie said:

I think we are hearing NCL defending their position and the family stating theirs and somewhere in the middle is what really happened.

Why should it be somewhere in the middle, and not what NCL stated or what the family stated?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DorothyB said:

Lots of speculation already in this thread. They “probably waited?” “It sounded like…?”

Near as I can tell, no one on here has heard both sides of the story here yet. 

• Thanks 1

I have a semi-off topic question. After almost every port in Alaska they would start overhead paging passengers - usually only a few names were called to report to guest services or whatever they call it. Did those passengers not return from ashore? 

1 hour ago, tetleytea said:

Then Norwegian (or any cruise line) should not make promises they can't keep.  They keep selling you the ship-sponsored excursions at a higher price, promising that they'll wait for you, and they didn't.  The independent operator acted as an agent of NCL, so NCL screwed up; and they need to own it.

No, they do NOT promise that they will wait for you. They promise to wait if they can, get you to the next port if they can't. Which they attempted to do, a missing passport is the reason they couldn't return to the ship at the next port.

And just how is NCL to know that a missing passenger was missing from an excursion? Unless someone had notified them that there were still excursion passengers waiting for a bus, they have no idea why there is a family missing. The tour operator messed up, NCL is left to clean up the mess.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tetleytea said:

I almost never buy the ship excursions anyway.  I always thought that promise was a bit empty.  The independents usually offer just about the same guarantee.  And sometimes in different circumstances, you'll usually get your money back or a raincheck from an independent when you won't from the cruise line.  So why pay extra for the ship tour? 

They never promise to wait for you?  They promise to get you back to the ship if you miss it.  2 different things.

Here's an article about it from a different source and it says it was a Norwegian shore excursion. Just posting it to increase sources of information.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13645365/Family-stranded-Alaska-cruise-ship-left.html

I put no blame on the family. It is clearly a Norwegian screw-up. For those who say it was the vendor of the shore excursion, it was Norwegian who took their money. If Norwegian subcontracts that is up to Norwegian and performance is still Norwegian's responsibility.

Norwegian seems to have covered its legal obligations as far as damages, and legal obligations include not charging them for the two days the family did not receive due to Norwegian's failure. But I find a gesture of goodwill of only a 20% future cruise credit to be truly pathetic.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, icft said:

Here's an article about it from a different source and it says it was a Norwegian shore excursion. Just posting it to increase sources of information.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13645365/Family-stranded-Alaska-cruise-ship-left.html

I put no blame on the family. It is clearly a Norwegian screw-up. For those who say it was the vendor of the shore excursion, it was Norwegian who took their money. If Norwegian subcontracts that is up to Norwegian and performance is still Norwegian's responsibility.

Norwegian seems to have covered its legal obligations as far as damages, and legal obligations include not charging them for the two days the family did not receive due to Norwegian's failure. But I find a gesture of goodwill of only a 20% future cruise credit to be truly pathetic.

NCL is reimbursing them for their out of pocket expenses and crediting them back for the 2 days and also giving them the 20% future cruise credits.  Also, perhaps they and others should read the T&Cs of the shore excursions before booking them. Caveat Emptor.

NCL makes arrangements for Guests for Shore Excursions solely for the convenience of the Guest; NCL does not act on behalf of or supervise the parties or persons who own, furnish, or operate such excursions, and the same are provided by independent contractors. NCL assumes no responsibility for, nor guarantees the performance of, any such excursion provider, and Guests acknowledge that NCL shall not be liable for losses or injuries arising from the acts or omissions of such provider.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, drew69 said:

NCL is reimbursing them for their out of pocket expenses and crediting them back for the 2 days and also giving them the 20% future cruise credits.  Also, perhaps they and others should read the T&Cs of the shore excursions before booking them. Caveat Emptor.

NCL makes arrangements for Guests for Shore Excursions solely for the convenience of the Guest; NCL does not act on behalf of or supervise the parties or persons who own, furnish, or operate such excursions, and the same are provided by independent contractors. NCL assumes no responsibility for, nor guarantees the performance of, any such excursion provider, and Guests acknowledge that NCL shall not be liable for losses or injuries arising from the acts or omissions of such provider.

Good point on the T&Cs. So I guess from the legal perspective Norwegian has put out a lot of cash that was not required.

It still sucks for the family. I guess they are lucky they got to take a beating for free. Thank goodness this kind of thing is a rare occurrence.

• Like 1

I can safely stand by what I said:  why even get the ship's tour?   They sing quite a different tune when they sell them.  You're "guaranteed" to make it back.  Until...you don't.   And then we get quite a different story.  And thus we read this press release.  

Just get the cheaper independent tours, folks.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1