Live (hopefully) Summit July 19-26, 2024 Alaska Northbound

On 7/27/2024 at 4:38 PM, Barwick Cruiser said:

I don’t know how I missed this report until today 🤦🏼‍♀️. I’m so happy for you that the weather mostly cooperated and it looks like you had a wonderful cruise! Agree about the great service on Celebrity…it’s what keeps us coming back even tho we only book lowly verandas 😂. Did you book another cruise onboard? Thank you for posting! 
Safe return home! 
Cathy

We did not book another cruise on board. We have a few other vacations coming up before our next scheduled cruise in Sept. 2025. My guess is we will regret not buying a “book later” certificate 😃 We also mainly book lowly verandas!! 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

So glad you got to fly with Michelle.  Of all the excursions I've ever done on my many trips to Alaska, that was by far my favorite one.

Oh yes! We didn’t realize how lucky we were to have her until she started telling us her story. Quite a pioneer!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

There was a headliner in the theater on Wednesday who also did a matinee on Thursday.  Friends who were on your cruise wonder if you know his name or if by chance you kept the daily program and could look it up, please

I’m pretty sure it was Colte Julian. He performed Elton John songs Wednesday night then a Billy Joel tribute the next afternoon. I’ll double check with my dailies when I unpack 😅

Posted (edited)

I have to add a post about our one night stay post-cruise in Seward. We loved this town! Our plan had been to hike to Exit Glacier Friday, but it was a rainy day and we decided even though we had the appropriate clothing we would do something else. We walked from our hotel (The Breeze Inn) to downtown area (still got our steps in 😂) We visited the Alaska Sea Life Center. It is a very nice facility. We listened to a Stellar Sea lion researcher talk about their project while watching a live webcam of the seal rookery. Very interesting! We enjoyed seeing the other displays as well. It was so fun to watch the puffins dive under water to eat! 

The next day we took a boat tour to the Kenai Fjords National Park. This was the excursion of a lifetime!! If you are going to splurge on excursion this would be my recommendation. Of course you are never guaranteed wildlife sightings, but we got very lucky! We saw a group of humpback whales cooperatively feeding which has only been happening in these waters for the past 10 years if I’m remembering correctly. To see all of the whales blow together was simply spectacular 😍. It was amazing to see the birds start to gather and then the whales appear. Truly blessed to see this sight! We also saw puffins! Those have been on my bird sighting list since we were in Maine a few years ago and didn’t see them. We also saw seals, otters, sea lions, eagles, and glaciers. An Alaskan paradise!

After our tour we had some time to kill before we boarded the Coastal Classic train to Anchorage. We enjoyed a beer at the Tidewater Taphouse and did some last minute shopping. 

The train ran on time and we had no delays on our flight home via Seattle. 🙏🏻

This truly was the trip of a lifetime ❤️
Seward cruise terminal

IMG_5777.jpeg

at the Sea Life Center

IMG_5787.jpeg

IMG_5788.jpeg

overlooking Resurrection Bay 

IMG_5796.jpeg

IMG_5802.jpeg

the Summit awaiting its next voyage

IMG_5808.jpeg

a seal popped up to say hello while we were eating dinner 😊

IMG_5811.thumb.jpeg.5457d8e50e948ee9e6ca8e8b5cbd4127.jpeg

our vessel through Major Marine Tours 

IMG_5814.jpeg

AADBA52C-03D3-4699-8CCC-116E86692B7D.jpeg

Cute otter

harbor seals

IMG_5860.jpeg

puffins do exist!

IMG_5953.jpeg

Watch for the birds the captain told us

I can’t believe we witnessed this!

Aialik GlacierIMG_6124.jpeg

Stellar Sea Lions

All aboard!

IMG_6149.jpeg

we never got used to the midnight sun. 

IMG_6025.jpeg

Edited by NBliving
Spacing
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ciaranaman said:

Just caught up with your travels - great pics and great wildlife sightings!  Very jealous and very happy for you!

~Bernadette

Ahh ,thank you! We know we were so fortunate in our wildlife sightings. Doesn’t happen every time!

• Like 1

On 7/28/2024 at 8:47 AM, cruisestitch said:

There was a headliner in the theater on Wednesday who also did a matinee on Thursday.  Friends who were on your cruise wonder if you know his name or if by chance you kept the daily program and could look it up, please

I just double checked and I was correct that it was Colte Julian. Wednesday night Elton John show, Thursday matinee Billy Joel.