Plus package vs Premier package

bobk57

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

What is the good Zinfandel at Vines? The stupid Plus wine menu doesn't list the actual wines.

I think it is called Edmedes or something similar to that spelling. The Seghesio Zin is their better one but is over the plus limit by about $3.  I tend to like the drier reds so, I chose the Grgich Hills Merlot or a nice cab, like Silverado or Duckhorn.  

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 3:07 PM, Shaver John said:

I am not sure why folks discount the exercise classes, which are $30 each or the desserts. Yes, we have premiere on both of our upcoming cruises and have had plus and just cruise and premiere on the last 3 cruises. So, I think you have to think about what you will be doing, I for one will be eating yummy cake and ice creams and doing all the classes I can put into my schedule, and of course getting photos taken at all the venues where there is a camera. Not that I do anything with the photos, but I will have them as a memory. So, if you want to do everything I think premiere is the way to go, We are in a suite and I still think it is worth it, even with the suite lounge and suite breakfast, still like having all the other items to be included, not free, just included.

I'm diabetic so no desert for me and my wife has a savory palate and never orders desert other then cheese cake once in a while. I live in a community with a state of the art gym and they offer classes that we don't use. I haven't taken ship photos in years and the ones that I paid for (actual pictures back in the day) are in a box some place. We are fine with the included offerings and probably won't even use the 2 casual dining meals offered in the plus package. Beverages, tips and WiFi are all we are looking for so the plus works out for us. I spend more than $60 on other lines just for drinks packages. Princess is a bargain and I hope it lasts.  We left Princess 10yrs ago because Celebrity was offing a choice of any 3 items, Drinks, WiFi, $300 OBC or Gratuity. Now they offer just Classic drinks and basic WiFi for an up charge that ranges in price by itinerary.  $60 is a bargain even if I don't use the other offerings.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2024 at 5:53 PM, Wishing on a star said:

I have heard of, and seen,  different variations on the veal pasta pockets.

Finally tried it on Regal...  and it was the version that was like little tiny square ravioli.

It was good, but was I wowed... no...  being from the. south, beef and gravy have been common.  And, the version of the veal on Regal tasted more like that than what most would think of 'Italian'.

This veal pasta option is not on the menu on the Sun.

I could still go to Alfredos several times and try different Pizzas and dishes!!!

Not all Italian food is tomato sauce based. Marsala sauce originated in Sicily.

8 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Not all Italian food is tomato sauce based. Marsala sauce originated in Sicily.

Red sauce from one part of Italy white sauces from another 

10 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I think it is called Edmedes or something similar to that spelling. The Seghesio Zin is their better one but is over the plus limit by about $3.  I tend to like the drier reds so, I chose the Grgich Hills Merlot or a nice cab, like Silverado or Duckhorn.  

Yes that is the one at Vines that I like. On the grand there are tables with ocean view where you can sip that Zin for an hour or so

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Miss-Lizzie said:

Any thoughts on the upgraded premium package that is $90 vs $80. that will be rolling out on Princess soon. 

Ever since they included Specialty dining it seems lake a better deal, provided they can handle the crowd. 

6 minutes ago, 555 said:

Ever since they included Specialty dining it seems lake a better deal, provided they can handle the crowd. 

Like I have said before embarkation night is going to be an issue since all full suites get a complimentary speciality dinner that night and many people try and book those as well to avoid the first night dinner chaos   We sail suites and do not pre book because the app doesn’t make it easy. We always call as soon as we board to the dine line. Never had an issue before but time will tell

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 555 said:

I am going to try this on our next cruise, since it will be on a Royal class ship.  The Crown / Grand class ships just don’t have enough variety in their dining venues to justify the extra cost.  When we were on the Crown recently, we couldn’t even get into the GastroPub on some nights.  I wish they would also serve lunches at the specialty dining venues under the premier package, perhaps on sea days. 

Or maybe you can order the meal to go if they run out of seating, that would not bother me one bit but I know that doesn’t work for everyone.  
I seem to have read that Oceania includes all specialty dining and haven’t heard any news that people couldn’t get reservations.  Time will tell if it will work for Princess as I think the ships hold a lot more passengers.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 555 said:

Upgraded to Unlimited Premier and was able to choose our preferred dining times in both the Crown Grill and Sabatini's for our November cruise.  I imagine if I had we waited, the time slots would have started to disappear.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Same here, upgraded to unlimited and have been able to secure 7 nights of dining.

I will say my cruise is 30 days out and right now, from what i can see, Crown Grill and Sabatini's is a bit "tight" in terms of time choices . I'm a bit of an early eater, so for me the 8pm and onwards time slots are a bit too late. They are available though for these two, but before 8, not so much. However The Catch by Rudi is wide open every night. Just my purview on Enchanted, 9/21 sailing ! 

Edited by grimace95120
spelling
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, cruisinsince75 said:

Upgraded to Unlimited Premier and was able to choose our preferred dining times in both the Crown Grill and Sabatini's for our November cruise.  I imagine if I had we waited, the time slots would have started to disappear.  

So if the times disappear what is Princess going to do when they are advertising “unlimited specialty dining”. Are the going to open venues at 3 for dinner and keep them open to midnight ?  I am betting if they don’t limit this package to “X” amount of passengers how much are the willing to refund to people they cannot accommodate ?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

So if the times disappear what is Princess going to do when they are advertising “unlimited specialty dining”. Are the going to open venues at 3 for dinner and keep them open to midnight ?  I am betting if they don’t limit this package to “X” amount of passengers how much are the willing to refund to people they cannot accommodate ?

You will be spending half or your trip on line at guest services.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Like I have said before embarkation night is going to be an issue since all full suites get a complimentary speciality dinner that night and many people try and book those as well to avoid the first night dinner chaos   We sail suites and do not pre book because the app doesn’t make it easy. We always call as soon as we board to the dine line. Never had an issue before but time will tell

So if I read this correctly, if you are in a full suite. You can do one of the specialty restaurant for free? And on Regal what is a full suite? Thanks

7 minutes ago, memoak said:

servers and cooking capacities , not necessarily table space

5 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

You will be spending half or your trip on line at guest services.

I personally would not book premier as we only go to those restaurants a few times a cruise. Always on embarkation night which is guaranteed for full suites

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

servers and cooking capacities , not necessarily table space

Still unlimited is unlimited or is it not. Are they going to give me a refund every night ?

1 minute ago, memoak said:

I personally would not book premier as we only go to those restaurants a few times a cruise. Always on embarkation night which is guaranteed for full suites

I don't think Princess specialty restaurants are all that great. I booked the Plus and won't use half of what that offers either but for the drinks, WiFi and gratuity it is well worth it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, memoak said:

Still unlimited is unlimited or is it not. Are they going to give me a refund every night ?

If you are standing in line at 9:00pm - last reservation seating time - you will be seated and served when you are at the front of that line and a table becomes available?

14 minutes ago, Miss-Lizzie said:

So if I read this correctly, if you are in a full suite. You can do one of the specialty restaurant for free? And on Regal what is a full suite? Thanks

Full suites are those with designations starting with “S”. On the Regal I believe that would be Penthouses and Premiums

6 minutes ago, memoak said:

Memoak - here is a pager - we will let you know which venue and time becomes available.

You will have 10 minutes before that availability will be passed to the next person on the waitlist for tonight.

I look at this in a similar vein as airline capacity. Most, if not all Major Carriers allow some level of overbooking , knowing that 1) some people will cancel and or 2) if they do have to offer compensation for those who get bumped that compensation fits inside their acceptable levels of profit margin.

I suspect Corporate Administration  has spent a lot of time in the back office weighing out the profitability of this new offering and the risks associated with upsetting clients , then decided to  press the GO button.  .

BUT what's often overlooked in these decisions  are the front line staff who will undoubtably bear the brunt of irate folks who will be looking for unlimited to truly mean unlimited and available .

I think about the scene that plays out in the airport where the gate agent gets screamed at due to flight issues, and can only hope that those ugly scenes don't end up on a cruise ship because of this  

Three things here, as I have also posted earlier.

1.  For the one question... Mini-Suites are not full Suites and do not have these benefits.

2.  About the Veal at Alfredo's/Gigi's...  If one has been reading, it is very clear that I know that Italian is not all 'red sauce'...  I was referring to the fact that when on Regal, I seemed to be served a different version of this dish.

3.  About the Specialty Dining.  The one who mentioned greater kitchen capacity and serving staff was probably on to something.

However, the manager at Crown Grill 'worked us in' later in the evening, as they seemed to be serving as many folks as possible.   It was like being at a lower cost chain steakhouse on a busy Friday or Saturday night.  The experience, service, and some of the food left a LOT to be desired.  So, be forewarned.

33 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Memoak - here is a pager - we will let you know which venue and time becomes available.

You will have 10 minutes before that availability will be passed to the next person on the waitlist for tonight.

There is no wait list for suite perks

7 minutes ago, memoak said:

There is no wait list for suite perks

Unlimited Specialty Dining meals: It is recommended that guests make  Specialty Dining reservations pre-cruise using the Princess® App. Princess Cruises reserves the right to pre-assign Specialty Dining times and location. The Specialty Dining included in a Package is for restaurant cover changes only and does not include menu items subject to supplementary charges. Availability of Specialty Dining reservations may be limited on certain cruises. P

• Thanks 2