Power Adapter Help?

JP350

3 minutes ago, minniemouse427 said:

We have a few "bricks" with multiple USB slots that we have used in the US outlets on our previous cruises. I came across this during the Prime days sale last week and grabbed one thinking it could be useful to utilize the "unused" outlet. It is clear in the description that it isn't a power converter.

Would this work for general charging purposes (phone, watch, Kindle, etc?)? None of us use hair dryers so that consideration isn't needed. If not, I just put it away and save it for an overseas trip in the future! 🙂

image.png.0ff996749700845fbb86210199322693.png

https://www.amazon.com/EPICKA-Universal-Travel-Adapter-Power/dp/B078S3M2NX?pd_rd_w=9DqcO&content-id=amzn1.sym.378a0f29-5acb-4c80-bc6e-087cd6806daf&pf_rd_p=378a0f29-5acb-4c80-bc6e-087cd6806daf&pf_rd_r=63TE934VMXJJYQMHWK4E&pd_rd_wg=t4yJm&pd_rd_r=61fb9c15-aea3-450c-9c4d-5fb3ca56c069&pd_rd_i=B078S3M2NX&ref_=pd_bap_d_grid_rp_0_1_ec_pd_hp_d_atf_rp_1_i&th=1

It might. I doubt it though. The Type E/F receptacles on the ship are recessed just like on land. That’s a Type C which will work in the receptacle. Not only is it ungrounded, it’s big. The ground actually helps hold the plugs (and adapters) in place. That won’t. It may pull out. I see 4 USB A slots and 1 USB C. Thats fine for a Fitbit or one phone. It’ll take forever for another phone or tablet. 

Are you planning on traveling to the UK or Australia? If not, you don’t need all those options, or the bulk that goes with them.

23 minutes ago, markeb said:

Are you planning on traveling to the UK or Australia? If not, you don’t need all those options, or the bulk that goes with them.

No, we aren't currently planning any travel outside the US other than a couple of upcoming (US based) cruises. It was on sale for less than $20 and grabbed it just in case it would be useful. Totally not a big deal that it won't work in this instance.

It is just as easy to leave it home as we have two "bricks" with multiple USB options that we have successfully used in the US outlets on previous cruises.

Thank you, one less thing to pack! 🙂

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I just always pack "Old Faithful" here:

Anker Charger.jpg

With no USB C ports, Old Faithful is soon going to just be old...

I think I recycled my Anker 6 port USB A brick.

15 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I think you mean "C/E/F" not "C/D/E".  But, anyway, type "C" is not grounded, while "E" and "F" are grounded in different locations, but using a type "E" plug in a type "F" outlet, or vice versa, will eliminate the grounding feature of the plug, as the plug grounding will not match the outlet grounding. 

Thanks...for clarification.   Iain is always complaining about all the adapters I purchase,  especially when I sail I will have to get a new one for South Africa.  

I've limited the number of cables I need by buying some of these Octopus Cables.  I can then cut down on lots of cables for different devices.

image.thumb.png.41a7b5bf2b691d72d265327d9bc013dc.png

• Like 1

On 7/21/2024 at 8:24 PM, markeb said:

OK.

The second adapter will do that with the advantage that it's much less likely to pull out of the socket from weight. You're still stuck using all of your own 20W USB adapters. The USB sockets on it are USB A, so low power and slow.

If you're looking at charging devices that charge by USB cable, I'd personally look at a charging brick and a simple Type E/F adapter like this

51XIlmlB+wL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-European-Travel-Adapter-Outlets/dp/B071GC3G9G/ref=sr_1_10?crid=3PCUL858KX3KN&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.k8RKkiKoV7Pff67XpPbRstbzb7M3YDaIw4nlaV9FIVlhIWyATBVZx0ivtEdBPYoT8SxCeB8cOi0BxkiqxeeTcXzkj-31eCjYDLFd4yZZYPMsZJSZwpkH4J4YcQuytsPPsq9M1cq5Ms9hYlgWV__-c-hV5Bnq9LLkGLEQZGIiRwknNa08OK6CBKUiEiy6owk11-wiIuA6tWmwPnfzQUXGBwHb2IlwnWAILrkdHiDHvynwM0lN1iM20OFejMwViN_iYdj5_dH58HlpjeLbux_iTO33jO1Banf2_Hnlsamn2o0.uUmSwZx90uwI_mNHNJpLB4z8ChUOs3nI3KWexMW8FBY&dib_tag=se&keywords=type%2Be%2Ff%2Bplug%2Badapter&qid=1721607150&sprefix=type%2Be%2Caps%2C102&sr=8-10&th=1

Charging blocks/bricks keep getting cheaper and cheaper. This is $56 on Amazon (it was, of course, on sale for Prime Day last week...).

712oJFMAcLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

U Green also makes some nice ones. I like the fact that they have a detachable cord, so you don't have to worry about gravity pulling them out of the socket, and you can either use the cables you have, or usually get less expensive ones pretty easily for travel. The Anker has four USB C/PD outlets and two low wattage USB A outlets. There are versions on the market that have more. 

With an E/F adapter you can use the 220V outlet in the cabin, although be aware that housekeeping uses that outlet and they don't always plug your stuff back in...

No wrong answer, just some options.

It's funny you mention that Anker USB hub, as I had that in my cart during prime day. I was thinking about buying it for our bedroom, as we can never get enough USB chargers. I like this idea for a ship too, because of the USBC which is at a premium right now with the number of new devices coming out. 

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've limited the number of cables I need by buying some of these Octopus Cables.  I can then cut down on lots of cables for different devices.

I have a few of the three connector ones .. We are now to the point where all our devices, except my DW's iPhone, use USB-C so I am able to reduce the number of cables that I take with me.  

15 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I have a few of the three connector ones .. We are now to the point where all our devices, except my DW's iPhone, use USB-C so I am able to reduce the number of cables that I take with me.  

We've not gotten there yet.   I currently need Firewire, Type C and Micro for lots of things I have.

5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We've not gotten there yet.   I currently need Firewire, Type C and Micro for lots of things I have.

We're skipping the iPhone 15 but will probably get an iPhone 16 early next year. Which will mean we can ditch the Lightning cables for good! My wife still has a set of Bose headphones that charge by Micro, and I think I have a rechargeable flashlight that does as well (but it doesn't travel with me).

Probably keep USB A to C cables to plug the phone into the car (especially rentals) when traveling, and I have some devices that have USB C connections but won't charge off of a USB C charger, which is truly frustrating!

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

When I take my travel router I need a Micro USB for it and also if I take by battery pack.  So I guess I forgot about those -- I have a small packing cube with cables in it, which also has two RJ-45 cables and an HDMI cable ... hey way -- now I am remembering why I have so many different cables, not all of them are associated with power adapters 🙂  

Life as a retired 'geek' and still can't cut the cables completely out of our lives huh! 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, markeb said:

I have some devices that have USB C connections but won't charge off of a USB C charger, which is truly frustrating!

I kept running into that problem until I purchased this recently.  I now test all my cables and trash the ones that do not do data and power. 

USB Cable Tester Board USB Cable Checker Data Wire with Acrylic Case Charging Test Data Line Type-C Micro Type A Type B

image.png.fb6eb476b003ed1a5d4d9c31e1899d6c.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CF95VL2Y

Edited by DaKahuna

On 7/22/2024 at 5:17 PM, Jim_Iain said:

image.thumb.png.41a7b5bf2b691d72d265327d9bc013dc.png

The one's you posted have annoyingly BRIGHT LEDs as Uber drivers often buy them to offer their passengers to charge their phone; hard to see them at night

I bought this one because it had NO lights and also charges the apple watch
image.thumb.png.5ffbd72f5acac2cbfee4bd7731128c0e.png

31 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I kept running into that problem until I purchased this recently.  I now test all my cables and trash the ones that do not do data and power. 

USB Cable Tester Board USB Cable Checker Data Wire with Acrylic Case Charging Test Data Line Type-C Micro Type A Type B

image.png.fb6eb476b003ed1a5d4d9c31e1899d6c.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CF95VL2Y

That's actually the frustration. These are all things with no data requirement. A rechargeable vacuum for my keyboard and an Airmoto portable tire inflator. Probably a couple of other things that I'm not thinking of. No reason they shouldn't charge off of USB C that I know of. Probably they can't step down the wattage and just don't accept the power, versus phones, tablets, and most of my other charge only devices that do just fine. 

• Like 1