Looking for any hotel/info/advice for Porting out of Venice, staying 1 night prior to cruise

petuniaflower

We will port out of Marghera Venice if that makes a difference..not sure if we would stay close to the port, or if everything is close distance so that doesnt matter?? Our high level plan is to fly in the day before we board and hope to explore/ride a gondola and have pasta out of a parmesan wheel if possible lol..open to any additional things to do in a day!  Travel party is group of 9, 1yo to mid 40s!  We'd be open to a hotel suite for all of if it was cheaper than several rooms too 🙂  Thx!

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

We will port out of Marghera Venice if that makes a difference..not sure if we would stay close to the port, or if everything is close distance so that doesnt matter??

Have not personally done this, but for what it is worth, there have been a number of threads on the topic and it appears that at least some of the lines using Marghera instead of Trieste or Ravenna,have passengers checking in at the old Venice Cruise Terminal (Stazione Marittima)before transferring them to Marghera for boarding.

Others who know more will surely add their thoughts, but there are some past threads on the topic which you may find of interest.Choose from these:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=marghera&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=464

Should you also have to check-in at the original Venice Cruise Terminal, hotels around the train station and Piazzale Roma would be the most convenient location as this is the last point for land travel access and you would have a choice of either taxis or using the People Mover to get you to the terminal.

Edited by edinburgher

I seriously doubt you are going to find a suite that holds 9. Expect the reasonable max of 3 in a standard room. 4 is possible, but pretty crowded. European standard rooms are typically smaller than US rooms. I would also suspect a gondola will have a max number probably of half your party.

I would suggest arriving at least 2 nights before you board, to effectively tour at all.

I agree with @edinburgher, there are many threads here discussing the logistics involved with the various ports that are replacing Venice.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

We'd be open to a hotel suite for all of if it was cheaper than several rooms too

I agree with the above and I think, but do not know for sure, that you would also struggle to  find an apartment which would sleep that number, but you could try internet searching something like "Venice apartment sleeping nine persons" or something similar, in the hope there could be a small number of options, but you would  lose the  choice of location and have to work out how best to travel to and from it, and how many bridges you would need to cross carrying your luggage if you choose not to use the left luggage lockers and carry only  small overnight bags.   Venice is wonderful but presents some unique challenges.....

And note that a private water taxi would probably not be able to accommodate nine persons plus all their luggage, so I think you would need two and they are not inexpensive, but the public water buses are also usually crowded, and again, your party of nine would struggle to travel together with their luggage.

i think that you will need to consider splitting yourone  group into smaller groups.

The pros and cons are something  everyone in your party  would need to discuss

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

And note that a private water taxi would probably not be able to accommodate nine persons plus all their luggage, so I think you would need two and they are not inexpensive, but the public water buses are also usually crowded, and again, your party of nine would struggle to travel together with their luggage.

Agree with this and expanding a bit. Venetian water taxis I think can seat up to 10 passengers maximum but you will lose room in the boats with luggage from the airport so will most likely have to separate into 2. Water taxi from the airport to the main part of the city is at least 120 Euro per boat. 

Sleeping 9 people in a hotel is going to be wildly expensive. Most rooms in the main tourist areas are going to be limited to 2-3 people per room. I agree you should look at Piazzale Roma and near Santa Lucia Train Station for the most economical options. If you are looking for larger rooms hotels like the JW Marriott, which sits on its own island, could be an option. Rooms are larger there and it's less expensive than comparable hotels near San Marco, but you do need to spend time in a boat going to and fro. 

I also agree that 1 night would be a frustrating, costly experience. You'll need two nights and one full day to have a shot at really seeing much at all. 

Gondola rides are limited to 5 people per boat and will cost 80 Euros per boat for about 25-30 minutes in the day and more at night. 

15 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

and have pasta out of a parmesan wheel if possible lol

This is mainly an American thing. It does exist in Italy but is mainly at tourist restaurants. 

Thanks all! How does one find out if they are checking in at the old terminal or not?  MSC Armonia if that helps.  One suite for all of us not needed, was just an option if it was cheaper!  Just looking for the "path of least resistance" from Venice airport to a hotel for a night (or 2), some exploring, then onto the cruise.

I am a big fan on staying in Venice (not Mestre or other places outside of town).  With a Marghera sailing, I think one would likely want to simply grab a land taxi, at the Piazale Roma, and go directly to the port.  So, the logistic issue is getting yourselves (and luggage) between the Piazale Roma and your hotel (assuming you stay in Venice).  There are a few places within easy walking distance of the Piazale Roma (Olimpia, Ca Doge, etc) but many folks prefer a more "romantic" location for their hotel choice   There are only a few options to move between the Piazale Roma (as far as you can get with land transportation) and any hotel which are walking, varporettos, or a water taxi (a very expensive option).  If one plans on using the vaporettos, it is smart to choose a hotel located close to a vaporetto stop.  Also keep in mind that you would need to drag your own luggage on and off the vaporettos (no extra charge for 1 piece per person).  

When you fly-in to Venice (Marco Polo airport) there are various options.  There is a fast and comfy ATVO Bus (usually leaves 3 times an hour) between the airport terminal and the Piazale Roma.  These buses have plenty of luggage storage (underneath).  One can also leave the airport using a land taxi, Alilaguna (a competitor of the ACTV vaporettos), or a private water taxi (very romantic but expensive).

Alternately, some folks prefer to stay outside of Venice and Mestre is the obvious choice if flying-in.  There is transportation between the airport and Mestre (bus or taxi).  One can later go into Venice on the train, bus, or regular land taxi...although that does take time.  From Mestre to the port at Marghera is best done by a land taxi.

Hank

1 hour ago, petuniaflower said:

Just looking for the "path of least resistance" from Venice airport to a hotel for a night (or 2), some exploring, then onto the cruise.

Fastest way into Venice proper from the airport would be to jump onto a water taxi but it will also be the most costly-- about 120 Euro. If you did that then it wouldn't really matter where you stayed so long as they had a water taxi dock. You would exit the taxi directly into your hotel and avoid having to schlep your luggage. These tend to be at the more expensive places in town but there are a few more moderate hotels that have water taxi docks. 

Unless something has changed recently, which of course it could have, you cannot arrive to the port on your own as they don't have the facilities to handle that.  You check in at the old terminal between Piazzella Roma and Tronchetto.

The pasta made in the wheel isn't touristy,  it is done, but in Rome, not Venice.  Caccio e Pepe is a Roman dish.

Quotes from the above link:

What are MSC Cruises embarkation procedures from Venice - Marghera?

All embarkation procedures including luggage drop-off, meet & greet and Health and Safety operations are held at Venice Cruise Terminal in Venice Maritime Station (Venice Passenger Terminal). All embarking Guests will then be transferred to Venice - Marghera, where they will board the ship after a quick document check.

Where is Venice Cruise Terminal?

Venice Cruise Terminal is in Venice Maritime Station (Venice Passenger Terminal). Address: Marittima Fabbricato 248 - 30135 Venezia - Italy.

Is it allowed to go directly to Venice - Marghera without going through Venice Cruise Terminal first?

No, guests must complete all embarkation procedures at Venice Cruise Terminal before being transferred to Venice - Marghera. Guests who might be arriving to Venice - Marghera on their own will be asked to go to Venice Maritime Station (Venice Passenger Terminal) for check-in operations and thus might risk being late for embarkation. Please note that taxis do not pick up at Venice - Marghera.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Should you also have to check-in at the original Venice Cruise Terminal, hotels around the train station and Piazzale Roma would be the most convenient location as this is the last point for land travel access and you would have a choice of either taxis or using the People Mover to get you to the terminal.

Now that it is confirmed that you will check-in at the original Venice Cruise Terminal,  thehotel location  info I gave in post #2 would still be good and sightseeing aside, would probably be the easiest as you could transfer from the airport on the airport bus, followed by an easy short stroll to your accommodation, and on the morning of check-in, either a taxi or the People Mover to get you the short distance to the check in area.

As you would have to do in other cities and towns anywhere in the world, you will need to pay whatever the going rate is on your dates,as pricing is determined by supply and demand on the dates you plan to be there.  There may be cheaper accommodation closer to the airport with a public bus used to take you into the city proper, or you could try the Mestre area which is outside Venice proper but not too far away with decent transport links to the city, but you would need to travcel into and out of Venice on arival and departure to get you to check-in, also for your sightseeing.

Note that It could also be tricky navigating Venice with a one year old, assuming he or she will be in a pushchair,as it will need to be carried up, across and over the many bridges which are mostly stepped.

As I mentioned before, Venice is wonderful but presents unique challenges.

Edited by edinburgher

15 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

The pasta made in the wheel isn't touristy,  it is done, but in Rome, not Venice.  Caccio e Pepe is a Roman dish.

At best its gimmicky.

And I actually thought the same thing about it having to be from Rome but turns out it stems from a risotto technique that originated in the Venice and Milan orbit. But popularized as we know it today in American restaurants. 

https://www.cheeseprofessor.com/blog/pasta-alla-ruota

OK, this is off the wall but here goes.  On our last cruise out of Venice we stayed in the historic centre of Padova and loved it.  Quick blast down the highway con brio and we were at Marittima.  We were four and the minivan dropped us right at the door of Marittima, baggage and all.  You can't do that from Venice itself, there's no road access from Venice to Marittima.  So, nine people, baggage and a toddler?  Oh boy!  Vaporetto with nine people, baggage and a toddler?  Absolutely not!

I would also recommend more than one night in advance, funds permitting.  With jet lag, local travel, checking in and out, you won't have much chance to do any sightseeing with only one night.  So I realize that if you have never been to Venice then you still have not been to Venice.  Your choice.  Ft. Lauderdale it ain't.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Fairgarth said:

We were four and the minivan dropped us right at the door of Marittima, baggage and all.  You can't do that from Venice itself, there's no road access from Venice to Marrittima

Has there been a change since the original terminal at Marittima became redundant?  I ask because there were definitely roads going to and even to  inside the port terminal from Venice (from P. Roma and from the People Mover.station) when it was still being used,. one section of iwhich was also a busy main road, part of which was a long bridge with pavements on each side for pedestrians coming and going on foot between the terminals and P Roma.. The few cruiselines which used to run shuttle buses beween P Roma and the cruiseterminal on turnaround days used that same road, as did taxis. And it was busy so why it would be completely closed to traffic is quite puzzling.

Edited by edinburgher

You are quite right, there is a road from Piazzale Roma to Marittima and then on to the mainland.  So let me clarify.  P. Roma is a small part of Venice, 2% maybe?  If we divide the city into "P. Roma" and "the rest of Venice" then there are no roads and you cannot drive from "the rest of Venice" to "P. Roma".  If that is not true, then perhaps somebody else could chip in.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Fairgarth said:

there are no roads and you cannot drive from "the rest of Venice" to "P. Roma".  If that is not true, then perhaps somebody else could chip in.

It is absolutely true.  P Roma is the last point for all transport which is not water based, the reason why many visitors decide to stay in hotels there or close to it, as it is convenient for arrivals and departures by airport bus, trains and taxis, and in the past for the People Mover. Everywhere else in Venice must be reached by either vaporetto, on foot or by water taxi. Unique challenges but worth the inconvenience.

Edited by edinburgher