AARP Gift Cards not working?

I've been trying to apply 5 $500 AARP gift cards since Friday both online, calling general reservations and then the gift card department today.  They keep getting an error and say it's because of the cyber security breach last week.  Anyone else having issues with these processing or having them work the last few days?

Did cancel a shore exc paid partially by a gift card but balance hasn't been returned to card yet. The email did say they will email me a new gift card in the next couple days so I'll see.

6 hours ago, Jareen said:

I've been trying to apply 5 $500 AARP gift cards since Friday both online, calling general reservations and then the gift card department today.  They keep getting an error and say it's because of the cyber security breach last week.  Anyone else having issues with these processing or having them work the last few days?

Try again in a few days. The worldwide computer issues of the recent day need to reset.

• Like 2

We always call HAL directly to use the AARP cards @Jareen. Keep in mind the email confirmation you receive from AARP references an order#. That is not the gift card number. You have click on the red link in the email that says GET YOUR REWARD. When you do, you will see the gift card # and the important PIN #. You need this information to complete your benefit (whether by phone or on line). I find it MUCH easier doing it online with HAL by calling 1-877-724-5425. Our last cruise we used 20 $500 cards saving $800 - and the HAL representative was kind and patient as can be! 

• Like 3

Finally was able to call them in today and it was very easy.  I had tried online several times and called in twice without luck.   It seemed to be linked to the cyber attack  issues so I wouldn't hesitate to buy again.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My cancelled shore excursion credit went back to the original gift card even though the email stated a new gift card would be issued so just another reminder to keep track of all gift card numbers until they have been totally expended on a cruise!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I've tried multiple times and can't get the GCs to apply.

I even paid down the balance yesterday to leave what I want to pay with GCs since I've read it won't let you mix & max credit cards and gift cards.

I have 4 GCs.  They're a mix of AARP cards and cards I got from Wells Fargo by redeeming credit card rewards points.  They total the remaining balance.  I input the card #s and pins, hit the "submit" button and absolutely nothing happens.

I tried telling it to make a partial payment of $500 and input the info for one card.  That won't even get to the "submit" point.  Even though I put the amount in the partial payment box, it seems to want full payment.  I even tried using a different browser.

Such a pain.  Guess I'll either email my PCC or call the above number.

But, seriously.  If they aren't going to let you make payments online with Gift Cards, they need to remove that section from Make A Payment options.

On 7/22/2024 at 3:08 PM, pghflyer said:

every time I read these posts, I become less convinced these are worth the (now) 8% discount relative the time and risk

We agree  the downside is a 92% possible loss of money .  

• Like 1

I just email my TA a PDF file with the card numbers and pins and he does it for me.  Will be send him my list this week for our upcoming Eurodam cruise.

• Like 2

I called yesterday afternoon.  Guy was pleasant and listened to me rant at him about how, if this isn't going to work, then IT should remove the option to pay with Gift Cards from the Make a Payment window!  He didn't comment, just asked if he could help me with anything else.

Yes, tell someone to either make it work or take it off that page!  I didn't yell at him, just told him it was frustrating to try something multiple times and it wouldn't work yet there was no error or anything to tell you why it wasn't working.

Anyway, now I know.  Of course, by the time I need to make payment on next November's cruise, I'll have forgotten all this. 😄

On 7/24/2024 at 1:09 PM, Nodakboiler said:

My cancelled shore excursion credit went back to the original gift card even though the email stated a new gift card would be issued so just another reminder to keep track of all gift card numbers until they have been totally expended on a cruise!

That's. correct we had that happened on an excursion switch  Lucky we kept all our email AARP print outs. and yes it goes by the new number given on the email

I did have a problem as well yesterday.  I called back this morning, no problem got them all applied......sometimes you just need to give them a call back, computers are great when they work, LOL.......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, doone said:

I did have a problem as well yesterday.  I called back this morning, no problem got them all applied......sometimes you just need to give them a call back, computers are great when they work, LOL.......

What phone number are you calling to get them applied?   Thanks.

You have to be sound of mind dealing with these aarp gift cards. That said we’ve used them for years first at ten present discount. Be sure to keep all your receipts even after you’ve cashed them. They make money on lost, death and any other mismanaged episodes. At eight percent it’s even less of a good deal. One small screwup and your already under the table. This my opinion 

• Like 1

HAL gift cards (whether purchased via AARP or not) cannot be used online to pay down the cost of your cruise or pre-paid crew gratuities.  You will need to contact your travel agent or HAL directly to have them applied.

You CAN use them online to purchase Shore Excursions, Spa, Dining, etc. up to 3-days prior to sailing.  I think the cut-off is 3 days.  After that I just take them Guest Services once on board to be applied as needed.

I keep a spreadsheet that has a breakdown of each card that shows:
Date of purchase
Where I purchased them
Amount
then track each time that I use it
Date
Item/Experience
Amount Used
Amount Remaining

I also print off the email receipt and write on them what they were used for.  Between the two, this makes it easier to track and work with HAL if any issues come up.

• Like 1