Which excursions are worth the price?

titodewy

On 7/24/2024 at 8:46 PM, FLAlaska said:

In Skagway, my favorite is always renting a car and driving up to Emerald Lake.(mostly you are driving alongside the train) You can follow Murrays Guide (you can find it on google). Love being able to that at our own pace and stopping when we wished

renting a car for the day is now running about $600 (taxes and fees included).  That's cray-cray, IMO.  We did it a few years ago for less than $150.

• Like 1

Nobody can say whether a tour is worth it.  The question is whether it is worth it to you and none of us can answer that question.  Also you are asking a bunch of questions that can easily be answered on the WEB,  I would suggest that you go on the WEB and do a bit of research by yourself.  It isn't that hard and you will learn a skill that will provide many long term benefits.

DON

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

renting a car for the day is now running about $600 (taxes and fees included).  That's cray-cray, IMO.  We did it a few years ago for less than $150.

Wow! I did it 10 years ago and it was nowhere that much

On 7/23/2024 at 5:15 AM, Mary229 said:

Alaska has been very popular lately and I would book your most wanted excursions asap. Many of the tour operators watch what the cruise lines charge and match the prices so you will not always save money by going independent. Also many of the tour operators prefer to work with the cruise lines as the cruise lines have insurance to cover lost revenue.  Either way, choose early and reserve.  May will be better than June as far as availability.  

whale watching tours fill up quickly  

About how many weeks in advance would you suggest prior to departure?

22 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

I just checked the price for September:  $332.75 including taxes and fees. 👌

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Teechur said:

I just checked the price for September:  $332.75 including taxes and fees. 👌

Not for our day.  And the only options were an SUV or minivan.  So for a rando day, sure.  Just not our day.

Edited by GORDONCHICK

10 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

Yeah, it was a great deal in 2015.  Just not on our day in September this year.

Nothing is inexpensive in Alaska. 

On 7/28/2024 at 3:28 PM, titodewy said:

About how many weeks in advance would you suggest prior to departure?

I book mine as soon as the excursion is available. Always check the cancellation terms.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2024 at 11:34 PM, GORDONCHICK said:

I rented a car from Klondike for an upcoming Aug/Sept cruise for $330.  We'll do the train first (8-11am) and then do some sightseeing via car on our own for the rest of the day.

14 hours ago, capecruzer said:

I rented a car from Klondike for an upcoming Aug/Sept cruise for $330.  We'll do the train first (8-11am) and then do some sightseeing via car on our own for the rest of the day.

It's the specific date that's key.  

16 hours ago, capecruzer said:

If thinking about going up,into Canada make sure you have passports AND make sure the road has reopened. 

• Like 1