Carnival Corporation Orders Three Additional Ships for Carnival Cruise Line, Introducing a New Class of Ships

4 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Yes but that has been the trend. 

if by trend you mean Excel class, than I would agree.  Just have to wait and see for this class.  Again, they mirror their competitors in cabin size.

Just now, stobe1 said:

Could they possibly be dusting off the old shelved Pinnacle class design and updating it a bit for this new class?

Pinnacle_Back.jpg

ScivoloPoppa-scaled.webp

LazyRiver-1030x727.webp

It was Fincantieri that brought forth this  concept.  

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I did say that you did, just stating the facts of why the Spirit class size (and I love it as well) will not come to pass (at least for the CCL line anyway).   Your point on the age of the ships that serve the height issue access markets is a valid one.  Not sure I have heard any true response to what happens when....

Florida has been talking about replacing the Sunshine skyway bridge to allow for bigger ships but that's a pipe dream currently.

Just now, stobe1 said:

And the destinations will be Celebration Key, Amber Cove and Grand Turk lol. Maybe throw in a Cozumel here and there.

As we have seen from RCCL, when ships get that big, the options are limited.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

Could they possibly be dusting off the old shelved Pinnacle class design and updating it a bit for this new class?

Pinnacle_Back.jpg

ScivoloPoppa-scaled.webp

LazyRiver-1030x727.webp

Looks like a MSC seascape had a baby with an Oasis/Excell class. 

1 minute ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Florida has been talking about replacing the Sunshine skyway bridge to allow for bigger ships but that's a pipe dream currently.

They have, as well as building a new terminal outside the bridge.  That would take a huge effort, both in time and dead presidents.

3 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

These home ports, Tampa, Jacksonville, Baltimore and to a much lesser extent (Charleston, Mobile, etc.) have significant obstacles.  RCCL is rumored to be coming out with a new class that is significant lower but wider that will breach these issues.  I will wait till I see the conceptual on CCL's new class before making my mind up.

19 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

And you still can.  Of the big 4 lines, none are creating ships of that size anymore.  The economics just do not work.

Norwegian has been holding back the most. Their two newest ships are just slightly bigger than Vista at 142K GT. They have four more coming that are 156-169K GT. Then in the 2030's they're getting four 200K GT ships.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Norwegian has been holding back the most. Their two newest ships are just slightly bigger than Vista at 142K GT. They have four more coming that are 156-169K GT. Then in the 2030's they're getting four 200K GT ships.

Royal Caribbean's hinted Discovery Class is also going to be smaller and I'm excited to see what those look like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

I had seen that.  To me, it is extremely interesting to see the lines adapting to this new built up (post covid) demand.  Add in the size component and it creates a virtual whirlwind of variables.  The whole ship as the destination can only go so far....,  at least to me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ohioNCLcruiser said:

Royal Caribbean's hinted Discovery Class is also going to be smaller and I'm excited to see what those look like.

shorter, not smaller is what I read/heard.

58 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Also the more and more mega ships Carnival orders the closer we get to having a Dream or Vista class ship in New Orleans. 

Waiting for the obligatory "NO! We need 15 ships in Galveston and 25 ships in Miami!"

Please move Dream or Vista class ship to Nola.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Gotta love CC, people moan and groan when they do not get new builds.  People moan and groan when they do order new builds.  Never gets boring here.

I think they're probably doing the right thing from a business model perspective. I'm not surprised at all by the announcement. That doesn't mean that it has to be for me.  We'll continue to enjoy the Carnival product that fits our cruising style. If and when that ceases to exist, we'll happily move elsewhere. No harm; no foul. Not going to spend time worrying about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riles34 said:

The facial recognition is a huge game changer. Took me and 14 others 22 minutes from drop off to being on the Carnival Celebration in Miami.

I will agree that tech has helped a lot, but it is across the board, it isn't a specific implementation that helps a bigger ship board just as quickly as a smaller one.  That's my gripe - it doesn't seem like (and maybe I'm just not observing it) that there any more agents for the Mardi Gras vs the Breeze, for example.

3 minutes ago, jsglow said:

I think they're probably doing the right thing from a business model perspective. I'm not surprised at all by the announcement. That doesn't mean that it has to be for me.  We'll continue to enjoy the Carnival product that fits our cruising style. If and when that ceases to exist, we'll happily move elsewhere. No harm; no foul. Not going to spend time worrying about it.

We are not all that different.

31 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

Pinnacle_Back.jpg

ScivoloPoppa-scaled.webp

LazyRiver-1030x727.webp

This looks like a nightmare.....

• Like 1

I'm all for the new ships and yall already know how I feel about New Orleans. I want a new ship or at least Dream/Vista class. Now I read the announcement,  I didn't see any hints as to the size of the new ships unless I missed something. I hoping the new ships are not Excel or bigger. Loved the Mardi Gras but I didn't even make it to a 3rd of the ship. It was way too big. Now if they throw Emeril's on a smaller size ship.....

4 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

I didn't see any hints as to the size of the new ships unless I missed something.

Ships are going to be larger than Excel and hold more pax.  From the announcement:

"a new class of vessel, at nearly 230,000 gross registered tonnes"

"With over 3,000 guest staterooms, the new ships will be the largest in the  Carnival Corporation global fleet and will be able to deliver fun to more guests than any ship in the world when carrying almost 8,000 guests at full capacity."

3 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

I didn't see any hints as to the size of the new ships unless I missed something. I hoping the new ships are not Excel or bigger.

Noticeably bigger.

25% larger than Excel class in gross tonnage.

About 25% more staterooms than Excel class.

"brand for a new class of vessel, at nearly 230,000 gross registered tonnes"

"With over 3,000 guest staterooms, the new ships will be the largest in the Carnival Corporation global fleet"