Popularity of West Coastal Cruises

7 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

This is part of the reason we decline invites now.  Sometimes it's like being at a convalescent home.  

I turn down non-lunches. The only time when it was good (non-lunch) when it was on the Dawn Princess in the Ward Room. That was exceptional.

• Like 1

My attraction to these cruises is being on the ship, not really the specific ports of call. I'm booked on four sailings b2b this January/February/March. It's Mexico, Hawaii, Mexico, Hawaii. Total 48 days, 34 of which are sea days. For me, shore excursions are in the past. Now it's just a little walking around at some ports, sometimes to restock supplies.

This past winter I sailed 24 days b2b in the Caribbean with lots of port days. The ship was kind of empty on those days, very comfortable to be on board.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Coral said:

I turn down non-lunches. The only time when it was good (non-lunch) when it was on the Dawn Princess in the Ward Room. That was exceptional.

Our favorite was back in the 1990’s on an Alaskan cruise with only 20 or so elites. The captain has us all up on the bridge for wine and snacks while at Hubbard Glacier

Edited by memoak
  • Like 1

The West Coast cruises are very popular with those of us living in CA, and the Southwest in general. They are a nice alternative to Mexican Riviera cruises and the ports like San Diego, Catalina, Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Francisco, Astoria, etc. are pleasant places that have plenty to offer, even on multiple visits. So you will find lots of repeat cruisers. They are easy, priced well, and a fun cruise escape to nice ports. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Shaver John said:

I know some cruises are much more popular than others, Alaska, Mexico, etc. Just wondering how popular are the West Coastal Cruises and are they mostly sailed on by folks living on the west coast, or from a large mixture of different folks. We are thinking about going on one, and so we are just curious. Do most folks who sail on these have a ton of days, say over 1100 or will 550 days tend to be in the top 40 most traveled. Last trip to Mexico we were not close to the top 40 with over 500 days. 

Book the cruise you want to go on. Sounds like you may be setting yourself up for disappointment if you're looking for the MTG lunch. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Book the cruise you want to go on. Sounds like you may be setting yourself up for disappointment if you're looking for the MTG lunch. 

Correct never plan on the MTG or you may very well be disappointed especially with cruises out of LA or SF. We have over 500 days and almost never make the cut offs from those ports 

Our next cruise in April is LA to Vancouver on Grand Princess.  Not as convenient for us Floridians as Port Canaveral or Port Everglades. But Mrs BV is demanding a cooler cruise that the last one (Enchanted Western Caribbean in June). 

• Like 1