Skagway hit with another rock/mud slide yesterday 7/23/2024

I saw this online and then on the Alaska board.

However, I am hoping the mods will leave the link here also as it could impact many Princess cruisers and they may not see it on the Alaska boards.

Poor Skagway....if it's not one thing...it's another...😟

• Thanks 1

Yes, was following someone on the NCL Board who is there today and mentioned this. For people planning the train trip or to rent a car to drive to the Yukon, it is definitely something to pay attention to. It does seem like Skagway has just been plagued with issues. We are looking forward to our next visit there in September on the Ruby and have a Jeep reserved. I sure hope it is cleared up by then.

A friend is on the Discovery Princess (we were on last week).  She said that 20 people from the Discovery were on the wrong side of the slide and couldn't make it back.  They made it to another ship (guessing HAL) and will catch up with the Discovery tomorrow in Ketchikan.  What an ordeal!  Having been to the Yukon 3 times after docking at Skagway I know that would be a very tough situation to be in.

2 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

A friend is on the Discovery Princess (we were on last week).  She said that 20 people from the Discovery were on the wrong side of the slide and couldn't make it back.  They made it to another ship (guessing HAL) and will catch up with the Discovery tomorrow in Ketchikan.  What an ordeal!  Having been to the Yukon 3 times after docking at Skagway I know that would be a very tough situation to be in.

Wow!  What an ordeal. Lucky, they were able to “hitch a ride” with HAL!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

With ships sailing full, how did HAL manage to house 10-15 rooms?  This is when it does pay to be on a ship’s excursion.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

With ships sailing full, how did HAL manage to house 10-15 rooms?  This is when it does pay to be on a ship’s excursion.  

On a normal week I would totally agree with you.  But many folks could not make it to their cruises last week due to the Crowdstrike fiasco so there were probably a lot of unused rooms.

• Like 2

Was it ever closed?  Media reports about the landslide covering the highway and the tracks are wrong.  The tracks are miles from the road at that point.

1 hour ago, 57eric said:

Was it ever closed?  Media reports about the landslide covering the highway and the tracks are wrong.  The tracks are miles from the road at that point.

There were multiple rockslides in Yukon on Tuesday. A Yukon and White Pass Route Railroad tour was unable to return to Skagway. A rock slide blocked the train tracks near Lake Bennett. And another massive rock slide was blocking the Klondike highway, 60 miles from Skagway.