Sales Pitches on board, or in spa?

Hi there, 

I'll be sailing with VV for the first time in September. 

A pet hate of mine is aggressive sales pitches or upselling - particularly when you aren't expecting it.   I've already read that most of the "workshop" activities are actually just sales pitches in disguise, but is there anything else I should actively avoid on board?

Also, specifically  in relation to the spa - on another cruise line I booked a spa treatment (which was lovely) but the post-treatment relaxation glow was quickly ruined when the therapist turned all the lights on at the end of it  and then basically trapped me in the room for about 30 mins while she tried to sell me the products she'd used.  I had to be quite forceful in the end to get out there without parting with $$$.    Is it the same in the spa on VV?  If so, I'll probably skip booking anything as the sales pitch totally ruined the experience for me.

Thanks

Spa sales are more gentle than on other lines...just tell them you are not interested and you are done.
Cruise selling only if you go to the future cruise desk

• Like 2

In terms of the workshops to avoid, there is one on posture that is an insoles sales scam and one on nutrition pushing supplements. Might be others but some are obvious, like the watches one is in the watch store!

• Like 2

When I have had a facial or massage the person would show me the products that were used when we got out to the front area. So it was easy to pass and move on. None of them to offense.

• Like 1

I booked a massage last time I sailed. When I was in the actual room, I was shown a card and offered an upscaled massage of longer duration or an afterward stay on the spas heated beds. It was low pressure and no problem when I said I would like the Swedish massage only. This was all finished before the massage began and nothing offered after it was done. No pressure whatsoever.

• Like 2

I can't speak for the spa or workshops but in general there is less upsells on Virgin.  No photographers for example, on Scarlet night they set up free photo booths like they have at events.  Since there is no drink package, bartenders and servers aren't trying to sell you into a package the first day. Same with specialty dining, since all restaurants are included. 

There also isn't a cruise director MC'ing the show and advertising shore excursions, activities etc. - the shows are just shows. 

5 hours ago, pinksparklebird said:

Hi there, 

I'll be sailing with VV for the first time in September. 

A pet hate of mine is aggressive sales pitches or upselling - particularly when you aren't expecting it.   I've already read that most of the "workshop" activities are actually just sales pitches in disguise, but is there anything else I should actively avoid on board?

Also, specifically  in relation to the spa - on another cruise line I booked a spa treatment (which was lovely) but the post-treatment relaxation glow was quickly ruined when the therapist turned all the lights on at the end of it  and then basically trapped me in the room for about 30 mins while she tried to sell me the products she'd used.  I had to be quite forceful in the end to get out there without parting with $$$.    Is it the same in the spa on VV?  If so, I'll probably skip booking anything as the sales pitch totally ruined the experience for me.

Thanks

i had a very similiar experience on Celebrity after a facial, it got so ridiculous, i just told her that i have told you now 3 times that I am not interested, you still persist, now I am not asking i am telling you to stop.  The barber shop situation was over a simple question of was the 18% service charge (which I had no problem with and prepaid) a tip, she hemmed and hawed, provided no real answer, I just said thanks have a nice day.  i'll never go to the spa on any ship again.

Right--on VV, no papers in your room each night advertising junk.  Things work differently on other lines.  Most of that 18% autograt goes to the company that runs the spa, not to the person who served you.  In contrast, most of any extra tip and commission on any products they sell you goes to that individual.  I once saw the paycheck documentation of a spa employee on another line. It suddenly made total sense why the hard sell and the "additional tip" as they were paid very little on the basic service.  On VV, they are paid by the line/company without any add on for tips, etc. In fact, at our first spa experience I attempted to tip the woman and she explained that it was already included in the price and was not appropriate on VV!  

A server on VV told me that she earns three times as much on VV as she did on a previous line where she was tipped (and she was good; I can't imagine her not earning good tips).  The only people I've heard of being unhappy with the VV system is are some of the bar tenders.  It seems that in addition to getting the included tips  on other lines, they are very used to getting an extra dollar or two on each drink.  VV pays them more, but perhaps not enough to make up for those "extra" tips they were getting.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Most of that 18% autograt goes to the company that runs the spa, not to the person who served you.  In contrast, most of any extra tip and commission on any products they sell you goes to that individual.  I once saw the paycheck documentation of a spa employee on another line. It suddenly made total sense why the hard sell and the "additional tip" as they were paid very little on the basic service.  On VV, they are paid by the line/company without any add on for tips, etc. In fact, at our first spa experience I attempted to tip the woman and she explained that it was already included in the price and was not appropriate on VV!  

On my last Princess cruise the woman who did my facial was a sweetheart. I told her at the start I was only interested in a facial. When it came time to sign for the service I asked about the auto gratuity and she said exactly what @cantgetin said. Since I always carry a small bit of cash in a hidden pocket in my shorts I tipped her with cash. She was so excited since that was now money in her pocket. She told me she was done with Princess when her contract was up and was going over to Virgin. Her best friend was on Scarlet and had been telling her about how well they were paid and treated. 

• Like 3

Most of the time, I have found that if any free activity listed on board has any reference or a vague title related to your health, then it's an upsell workshop intended to sell you products about which they have just spoken about.  So I just don't go to those anymore.

VV doesn't project the hard-sell vibe.  In the spa, I will kindly tell the therapist at the start of the appointment that I just want the service and I'm not interested in buying products.  What I have noticed is that if you show an interest in products that are on the shelf in the check-in, one of the gals may meander over to ask you if you need help, and they will respect a "no, thank you."

Even in the high-end jewelry stores, they're not high pressuring you to come take a look.  I usually avoid eye contact on other cruise lines, but on VV I will smile and say "hi" as I walk by because I know they're not going to try to get me to stop in.

• Like 2

I've only had one situation on VV that I didn't anticipate.  I went to a fitness class called "Roll and Relax" and surprise!  They did the footprint thing and tried to tell us that we needed shoe inserts.  We actually did a class, but nowhere did it imply any selling.