NEXUS Renewal - Countries Visited

My NEXUS Pass expires July 2025.  The renewal window opened up, this month, so I went ahead and applied before the fee increase this October.

When filling out the application, I noticed a change for countries visited.  It now says do not include countries visited where the stay was less than 24 hours.  This is a happy change for us cruisers!

Interestingly, although my last renewal was in March 2020, the date parameter for countries visited was July 2019 thru to July 2024.  I really need to start keeping a spreadsheet, as I had to wrack my brain on this!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I really need to start keeping a spreadsheet, as I had to wrack my brain on this!

I keep an electronic folder for every trip we take, whether a cruise or land-based holiday. Each one contains a detailed itinerary spreadsheet, as well as such things as cruise documents, private excursion details, flight information, etc., etc. They don't take up much space in my cloud storage, and I'm amazed at how often I refer to them, either because I need some information or because someone asks a question on CC and I know that I have the answer in one of the trip folders.

• Like 5

Wow! You are so organized! I am jealous. I have good intentions — because I start out that way — but then my id takes over and tells me to do something else. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always saw this question as a test.  Whether you list it or not, "they" know you have been there even if less than 24 hours.

In my last Nexus interview I was tested against several ports of call, and they were ones that I had not listed because my renewal was started at the beginning of Covid and interviews were cancelled and my interview took place 2.5 years later and I never updated any information online.  The places I was "tested" against happened after my application was submitted.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

WHOA.  This is the first time, since 2009, that I have EVER received approval without an interview.  And in record time!  I am ecstatic.

You have "done your time".  Here is hoping that my next renewal will not need an interview either!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Just to follow up on this… my new NEXUS card arrived in the mail exactly 12 business days from application.  Amazing.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Just to follow up on this… my new NEXUS card arrived in the mail exactly 12 business days from application.  Amazing.

You are lucky!  Buy a lotto ticket!

• Haha 1

On 8/16/2024 at 9:25 PM, *Miss G* said:

On 8/17/2024 at 4:11 PM, CDNPolar said:

You are lucky!  Buy a lotto ticket!

Nexus cards have been arriving quickly lately, or so it seems.  DH and I both got our renewal cards (done a few months apart) in under two weeks.  But if you really want to see speedy service, apply for a British passport, those were processed in about a week, regular service not expedited.  It seems to only be the Canadian bureaucrats that operate at a snail’s pace…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bookbabe said:

cards (done a few months apart) in under two weeks.  But if you really want to see speedy service, apply for a British passport, those were processed in about a week, regular

Wow! Thanks for the heads up!

40 minutes ago, Senga said:

We applied for NEXUS renewal August 15th.  My husband received his approval letter today!!!!

Holy smokes! I can’t believe how fast they’re processing! Congrats!

• Like 1

On 8/20/2024 at 10:44 AM, Senga said:

We applied for NEXUS renewal August 15th.  My husband received his approval letter today!!!!

They sure are moving fast. I submitted my latest renewal on Sunday, August 18 and just received my formal approval today. 5 day turnaround

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We renewed early to avoid the price increase.  Was pleased to see the expiry date remained our birthdays which is NOT the case if you renew your passport early.  Since we usually renew our passports 6 months in advance you lose a lot of time.

On 8/23/2024 at 8:52 AM, lx200gps said:

They sure are moving fast. I submitted my latest renewal on Sunday, August 18 and just received my formal approval today. 5 day turnaround

...and to close out my data point, submitted my renewal on August 18, received the approval notification August 23 and received my new card September 5. I renewed a year early, my old expiry was August 2025 and my new card's expiry is August 2030.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Whitby100 said:

So you can apply to renew at any point?

Your current card has to be expiring within a year.  So, for example, my birthday is July 17th and my card was expiring on July 17th 2025.  As soon as July 17, 2024 arrived, I was eligible to apply.  My new card now expires on July 17, 2030.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Whitby100 said:

Mine is within a year so I’d like to get it done.  I will need it in November.  Does it matter if I am in the midst of a renewal while using it?

Based on the recent experience some of us have had with our renewals, if you apply now you should have the new card in hand by November. As always, YMMV. Once you make the renewal application on their website, you will see wording that basically says that your existing card continues to be valid until the time you activate the new card on the web site, which automatically cancels the old one. So, worst case you don't receive your new card in time, the old one will continue to be valid anway.

On 7/27/2024 at 6:11 AM, CDNPolar said:

I always saw this question as a test.  Whether you list it or not, "they" know you have been there even if less than 24 hours.

In my last Nexus interview I was tested against several ports of call, and they were ones that I had not listed because my renewal was started at the beginning of Covid and interviews were cancelled and my interview took place 2.5 years later and I never updated any information online.  The places I was "tested" against happened after my application was submitted.

As I prepare for my renewal do I need dates of countries visited?  If yes is it the days, months, years?  How specific is the info required? I’d like to get organized before I start.  Any other tips to help get organized ahead of time?

53 minutes ago, Whitby100 said:

As I prepare for my renewal do I need dates of countries visited?  If yes is it the days, months, years?  How specific is the info required? I’d like to get organized before I start.  Any other tips to help get organized ahead of time?

My date parameter for countries visited was July 2019 thru to July 2024. So they ask for the last five years.  You don’t need the actual dates.  I read through their drop-down list of countries to make sure I hadn’t forgotten one, so that was helpful.  You do not need to list the countries where your visit (or in-transit) was less than 24 hours.