Documentation needed

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Re entry isn't the problem, leaving the country in the first place can be the issue. Disagree all you want, but the information is out there.

Please point me to that information that says for closed loop US cruise you need a notarized letter from non -traveling  parent.  My experience is  completely opposite and further per Cruise Critic website  "Most cruise lines do not require a child travel consent form if a child is traveling with only one parent. However, if parent and child do not share a last name, many lines do require you to bring your child's passport and birth certificate as legal proof that you're related. Some cruise lines, such as Princess and Holland America, require children cruising with only one parent to provide a passport in order to cruise, even on closed-loop, round trip U.S. sailings where a birth certificate is otherwise acceptable travel documentation.:

6 minutes ago, chfenton said:

Please point me to that information that says for closed loop US cruise you need a notarized letter from non -traveling  parent.  My experience is  completely opposite and further per Cruise Critic website  "Most cruise lines do not require a child travel consent form if a child is traveling with only one parent. However, if parent and child do not share a last name, many lines do require you to bring your child's passport and birth certificate as legal proof that you're related. Some cruise lines, such as Princess and Holland America, require children cruising with only one parent to provide a passport in order to cruise, even on closed-loop, round trip U.S. sailings where a birth certificate is otherwise acceptable travel documentation.:

One last time; this has NOTHING to do with a closed loop cruise. 

There are laws about transporting a minor over international borders without the knowledge of BOTH custodial parents. 

good night 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

One last time; this has NOTHING to do with a closed loop cruise. 

There are laws about transporting a minor over international borders without the knowledge of BOTH custodial parents. 

good night 

But it has everything to do with the OP's question that I thought was the purpose of this thread. Again agree completely with you for traveling internationally and entering other countries, but for a closed loop US cruise (which per the OP is Miami based Explorer in January 2025) no documentation from non-traveling parent is required.

1 minute ago, chfenton said:

But it has everything to do with the OP's question that I thought was the purpose of this thread. Again agree completely with you for traveling internationally and entering other countries, but for a closed loop US cruise (which per the OP is Miami based Explorer in January 2025) no documentation from non-traveling parent is required.

You are taking the child OUT OF THE COUNTRY it matters not if it’s on a ship, train or an airplane 

• Like 2

Just now, not-enough-cruising said:

You are taking the child OUT OF THE COUNTRY it matters not if it’s on a ship, train or an airplane 

Respectfully, you are just plain wrong and it appears nothing I can say or quote will change your mind but for others looking at this thread in the future- it does in fact matter- you can take your child on a US closed loop cruise without consent of non-traveling parent-which was the question as posed by the OP.  In other words, under the law of the US, a closed loop cruise is treated no different than if you live in New York and take your child to Hawaii - no docs needed from non-traveling parent.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You missed my point, but that's OK.  The point being you don't need it until you need it, so why not be prepared? It's kind of like travel insurance.

Cheers

Then I guess we missed each others points because I wasn't saying it wasn't a good backup plan if one wants to do so, I was just saying it isn't a requirement.

But as you say, cheers.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, chfenton said:

Respectfully, you are just plain wrong and it appears nothing I can say or quote will change your mind but for others looking at this thread in the future- it does in fact matter- you can take your child on a US closed loop cruise without consent of non-traveling parent-which was the question as posed by the OP.  In other words, under the law of the US, a closed loop cruise is treated no different than if you live in New York and take your child to Hawaii - no docs needed from non-traveling parent.

You can’t be serious. A closed loop cruise is no different than traveling Mew York to Hawaii?? 

Plenty of information out there to guide folks to do the responsible thing, and travel with documentation 

Whether it's required or not, why NOT have the notarized document from the non-present parent?  At MOST it's a $25 charge and MAYBE an hour of time.  You can probably find the notary service for free (there was a notary at my former employer and I've used the public library services). 

If a couple were divorced and a child was traveling with a single parent, wouldn't the letter (or court statement) be good to have?  So how does the cruise line know the marriage situation?  They don't. 

The last thing you want is a document issue keeping you from getting on the ship (even if it does nothing more than delay boarding).  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Whether it's required or not, why NOT have the notarized document from the non-present parent?  At MOST it's a $25 charge and MAYBE an hour of time.  You can probably find the notary service for free (there was a notary at my former employer and I've used the public library services). 

If a couple were divorced and a child was traveling with a single parent, wouldn't the letter (or court statement) be good to have?  So how does the cruise line know the marriage situation?  They don't. 

The last thing you want is a document issue keeping you from getting on the ship (even if it does nothing more than delay boarding).  

Perfectly said

17 hours ago, fpcruiser said:

We have been asked every time for a notarized permission slip for our grandchildren with a different last name. They both have passports.

Which is entirely different than a child travelling with their parent with the same last name.  In your case they are following the correct proceedure

19 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Unless you are divorced or separated, or under some sort of custody agreement regarding your children, I don't think any documentation is needed to travel without your spouse, but with your children.

Divorce or separation does not even come into paly with a closed loop cruise from the US.  As long as the child is travelling with a parent and has the same last name no additional documentation is required even if you were breaking your custody agreement.

On the other hand...

Those of you saying "it's not needed, don't bother..."  What is your normal response when someone says "Should I get a passport for a closed loop cruise or can I use my BC?"   If your answer is "Get the passport, you never know", wouldn't the appropriate answer to this question be "Get the notarized document, you never know"? 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

On the other hand...

Those of you saying "it's not needed, don't bother..."  What is your normal response when someone says "Should I get a passport for a closed loop cruise or can I use my BC?"   If your answer is "Get the passport, you never know", wouldn't the appropriate answer to this question be "Get the notarized document, you never know"? 

RC recommends a passport though. They don't recommend (or even mention) getting a document for one-parent cruises.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

RC recommends a passport though. They don't recommend (or even mention) getting a document for one-parent cruises.

And a recommendation means?  

Absolutely nothing. They also "recommend" what to wear for dinner. 

I notice you didn't answer the question. 

34 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Divorce or separation does not even come into paly with a closed loop cruise from the US.  As long as the child is travelling with a parent and has the same last name no additional documentation is required even if you were breaking your custody agreement.

I agree with that as pointed out earlier.  My clarification should have inferred differing last names, which may be a separate issue.

18 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

And a recommendation means?  

Absolutely nothing. They also "recommend" what to wear for dinner. 

I notice you didn't answer the question. 

Bringing extra documents just in case, despite there being no recommendation to do so is like bring your bowling ball just in case you come across an alley on your cruise.

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Bringing extra documents just in case, despite there being no recommendation to do so is like bring your bowling ball just in case you come across an alley on your cruise.

So, advocating bringing a passport (with a cost of $130), even when not required = "good".

Advocating bringing a notarized document (with a cost of $25 or less), even when not required = "bad".

Got it! 👍

Oh, wait, a passport is "recommended", as are gratuities and dress codes for dinners.  But advocating for THOSE "recommendations" is "bad".  😄

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So, advocating bringing a passport (with a cost of $130), even when not required = "good".

Advocating bringing a notarized document (with a cost of $25 or less), even when not required = "bad".

Got it! 👍

Oh, wait, a passport is "recommended", as are gratuities and dress codes for dinners.  But advocating for THOSE "recommendations" is "bad".  😄

I always advocate bringing a passport, that men dress in tuxedos for dinner on formal night and that you tip and tip well 🙂

I am good. 😉

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Got it! 👍

You're introducing too much non sequitur into all this.

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I always advocate bringing a passport, that men dress in tuxedos for dinner on formal night and that you tip and tip well 🙂

I am good. 😉

Personally, I think a passport is good to have too.  But there have LOTS of threads with cruisers all but forcing people to get one.  

For a small outlay of time and a small (if any) outlay of money, both of which are much larger with a passport, I don't understand the "it's not required, don't bother", which is the same as with a passport or following a dress code.