Torn Between Two Suite Categories (Yacht Club) Royal or Duplex on New World America

Posted (edited)

Looking for some guidance on the duplex suite with hot tub vs. royal suite on the New World America for November 2025.  The duplex suite on sister ship Europa looks really nice and I love the second bathroom but not too crazy about the stairs.  I think I saw a second door in the upper level bedroom that would preclude one from having to climb stairs...can anyone confirm? (For the record, we are perfectly fit and capable of climbing stairs...but I always factor in what if's when traveling with a drinks package...which is only prudent). 

The royal suite looks nice as well...also with a second bathroom but I'm confused...I thought it came with a full bar set up with several bottles of spirits.  @morpheusofthesea can you confirm?  Or is this a perk only for owner's suites?  If no bar set up beyond minifridge inclusions, I see no reason to spend an extra 2k for space alone.  

Need help deciding as my hold runs out soon.  Oh, btw...this is a Caribbean itin but I'm intrigued by the ship so will be a ship-is-destination cruise.  I heard there will be a secret speak easy that is invitation only...so cool.

Any help is appreciated and I would also appreciate general commentary on experience with World Europa...

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

.I thought it came with a full bar set up with several bottles of spirits.  @morpheusofthesea can you confirm?  Or is this a perk only for owner's suite

Our resident expert is @Two Wheels Only. I have no experience with World Europa/World America. 9-12 bottles of liquor/wine/Champagne with RS&OS to take home. If one is traveling light???

Edited by morpheusofthesea

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

For the record, we are perfectly fit and capable of climbing stairs...

Again, we spent 50 years in steerage. Only since covid did we throw caution to the wind (and 70). You sound too young still. Build your nest egg. Steerage isn't all that bad...Its the lowlife that has always bothered us, and the lowest prices in the cruise industry is attracting them in droves. Never had to worry about bedbugs in the past on any cruise ship. Less chance of bedbegs in the top suites.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1

YC3-Rroyal-Suite-16007.webp

YC3-Rroyal-Suite-18003.webp

The Royal Suite comes in 2 configurations. The one with the larger bathroom has a smaller balcony. The one with the smaller bathroom has the larger balcony. Deck 18 has the larger balcony and deck 16 has the larger bathroom with separate shower...

Deck 18

Deck 16

These are from World Europa, obviously. I had the same dilemma as far as Owner's vs. Royal vs. Duplex for World America and decided on the Duplex. It has 2 bathrooms and a more open balcony (the upper one) than the other 2 choices. The side balcony is open on the RS but it isn't deep. Both the RS and OS have 1 bathroom in the stateroom. Based on the other RSs that I've sailed in, bottles should be included in the same way.

The Duplexes with hot tub seem to mostly be the same other than mirror image. The width of the balcony might be slightly different but I can't confirm without better photos/videos or until I'm on the ship myself next year. Based on what I've read, the door upstairs is for (emergency) exit, not entry.

There should be a "secret" speakeasy on America like Europa has but MSC could do something different like the Venom (snake) Drop on Europa vs. the Jaws (shark) Drop on America.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

"I think I saw a second door in the upper level bedroom that would preclude one from having to climb stairs...can anyone confirm?"

In some videos of Duplex v1.0 on earlier MSC ships, wherein YC inclusion was an afterthought and the suites are outside the wire (IYKYK), the upper door is mentioned as an emergency exit.

I would expect the same limited use for the door in a Duplex v2.0.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@Two Wheels Only thank you so much for the great information. This is very helpful!  I thought I saw in the videos that there was a second bathroom in both the RS and the duplex but I don’t see that indicated in the floor plan above. Do they indeed have a second bathroom?

Edit:  just rewatched the video. Now I understand the bathroom configuration for the RS. I Need to take another look at the duplex. 

@Georgia_Peaches you are doing really thorough research, I commend you, I am  glad there are videos out there, I do a lot of research even on a “basic” cabin and its location, making your decision would be quite a dilemma for me, ha! You will make the right one. 

• Thanks 1

I also considered Duplex vs Duplex Whirlpool vs RS on World Europa. I went for the Duplex Whirlpool primarily for the 2 bathrooms (3 ladies travelling with me), and the larger balcony space over standard Duplex.

Booked well over a year ago, now only 20 days to go...

• Like 1

Based on further research, I have ruled out the RS.  The lack of a second bathroom and the fact that the only room left in the category does not have the bath in the bedroom, I can safely say this room will not work for us.  I haven't told DH yet and feel I will have to ease him into the decision so as to lessen his shock at my choosing a less expensive category 🤣.

The duplex with whirlpool tub is very intriguing, especially with the second bathroom (a RS miss, IMO).  I love the private sundeck on the upper level and can imagine that this will be a great place for a night cap before bed.

Side-by-side comparison:

Royal Suite with Whirlpool:

• More sq. footage
  • full bar set up
  • dedicated pergola on sun deck
  • no second bathroom
  • costs 2K more at roughly 11K

Duplex Suite with Whirlpool

• Less square footage 
  • has stairs
  • has 2 balcony areas
  • has 2nd bathroom
  • no full bar set up
  • priced roughly at 9K

The RS comes with a $1300 refundable OBC from my TA and the Duplex has $1030 refundable OBC.  Each would become a discount after the fact since we wouldn't use much/any on the cruise.

Thank you @cellfree.  The research is half the fun for me!  DH doesn't have the time or patience for either.  And to your point about looking into every category, and at the urging of @morpheusofthesea to get my head out of the clouds 😇, I will now throw a YC Deluxe balcony into the mix...just to be thorough.  The World class ship(s) seem to have so much to offer that I am left to wonder if we would spend as much time using the YC amenities on this ship as we have on past ships.  Stay tuned...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

"I Need to take another look at the duplex."

The new, in-YC duplex is pretty much the only reason we would go on a World ship. The YC reports from World Europa have given me the impression that a YC can indeed be too big.

To test a duplex, we have booked a v1.0 on Grandiosa. If it turns out as well as I hope, we will give World America a chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

no full bar set up

GP, I am confident a quick chat with your butler and concierge can get you an equivalent bar setup at the usual mark-up one sees on a cruise. Even with the liquor cost, you would still save money with the duplex.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

@Two Wheels Only thank you so much for the great information. This is very helpful!  I thought I saw in the videos that there was a second bathroom in both the RS and the duplex but I don’t see that indicated in the floor plan above. Do they indeed have a second bathroom?

Edit:  just rewatched the video. Now I understand the bathroom configuration for the RS. I Need to take another look at the duplex. 

DW and I did a lot of research on the WA Royal Suites before we booked our 2026 cruise. Royal suites do not have a second bathroom.  

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, chrisgp999 said:

DW and I did a lot of research on the WA Royal Suites before we booked our 2026 cruise. Royal suites do not have a second bathroom.  

Yes, it's a shame that they didn't put at least an additional powder room in this category.  What category did you end up booking and what was the deciding factor?

21 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Yes, it's a shame that they didn't put at least an additional powder room in this category.  What category did you end up booking and what was the deciding factor?

We booked a Royal Suite as we always do on MSC.  Chose a suite on deck 16.

Deciding factor for the suite selection was size.  Royal Suites on deck 16 of the WA have a larger living space and larger bathroom than RS on deck 18.

Deciding factor on choosing the World America was more difficult than the cabin selection.  The WA had quite a few negatives on our checklist.  The biggest positive was that she is sailing out of Miami versus more "remote"port locations such a Galveston or Port Canaveral.  Anyway, we know we'll enjoy our cruise.  It's just a matter of how hard we have to work towards that enjoyment.

We ultimately decided upon the duplex suite with whirlpool.  The deciding factor was the second bathroom and the 2 tiered deck arrangement.  Though we will not get the bar set up or the reserved pergola on the sun deck, the private deck that comes with our suite will make up the difference.  We will also take @no1talks direction and speak with our butler about getting our own bar set up upon embarkation.

As for concerns about WA Yacht Club being too big to execute the service of which we have become accustomed, I read up on a few past live reviews of world Europa which have put my concerns at ease.  It's 18 months out and I am beyond excited!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

"We will also take @no1talks direction and speak with our butler about getting our own bar set up upon embarkation."

Upon further consideration and because feckless butlers are not unheard of on these message boards, I'd go right to the YC director. Just say something like, "We were torn between Royal and Duplex suites, but the 2nd bathroom in the Duplex was the deciding factor. However, we are very much interested in purchasing a liquor assortment like that in a Royal suite."

After all, doesn't MSC usually get less onboard spending from YCers because we already get drinks and the included food is generally good enough to dissuade specialty dining? If I were a YC director, I wouldn't turn down your money. Even Cunard has in-room bar options on their room service menu.

CunardIn-RoomBar.thumb.png.4e827989d289236f40a1943dbef501a6.png

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Checking in here as we have sailed both World Europa and Grandiosa in the duplexes.

Grandiosa is our pick of the two: on World Europa we were on Deck 16 directly below the Top Sail lounge, the balcony was not ‘private’ as the Top Sail outdoor area directly overlooked the balcony and jacuzzi, and we suffered from noise on 3 nights around 3am from the cleaners moving furniture. 

There was no noticeable issue on Grandiosa of the suites being outside the enclave, elevators came quickly to take us up to Top Sail.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, raino144 said:

Checking in here as we have sailed both World Europa and Grandiosa in the duplexes.

Grandiosa is our pick of the two: on World Europa we were on Deck 16 directly below the Top Sail lounge, the balcony was not ‘private’ as the Top Sail outdoor area directly overlooked the balcony and jacuzzi, and we suffered from noise on 3 nights around 3am from the cleaners moving furniture. 

There was no noticeable issue on Grandiosa of the suites being outside the enclave, elevators came quickly to take us up to Top Sail.

Do you remember the cabin number on WE? We ultimately went with the duplex and my understanding is they are all on deck 16. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Do you remember the cabin number on WA?  We ultimately went with the duplex and my understanding is they are all on deck 16. 

16006 was our duplex on World Europa.

12004 was our Grandiosa duplex, was below the bridge and so very private and peaceful.

We’re back on Grandiosa in October, might be the same duplex.

Edited by raino144
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, raino144 said:

16006 was our duplex on World Europa.

12004 was our Grandiosa duplex, was below the bridge and so very private and peaceful.

I just checked we are in 16003. I wonder if we will have the same privacy issues. 

Photo taken from the outdoor Top Sail area, showing the view down to 16004/6/8.

16003 same but other side of the ship (the outdoor Top Sail is the entire width of the ship).

IMG_2965.jpeg

• Thanks 1