Pricing on NCL Has Gotten Outrageous

7 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Exactly. The key is "at a price you can afford". Everyone has a budget that is based on their available funds, and their wants/desires for their time. It can be hard for people to walk away when their wants exceed their means. When that happens you get a lot of "sour grapes" reactions...just like Aesop said.

Trying to see this in context. Prior to the MSC cruise, what line held the "absolute worst in every way" title for you? With 108 cruises, which line stands out as the best for you? Why were you sailing MSC instead of that line?

We’ve sailed with 12 different lines and when MSC started to status match we wanted to give it ago, especially since Yacht Club got good reviews.

in context we sailed in Europe and it’s different. So the top bad things at MSC.

1. Every port was embarkation and debarkation. Welcome onboard and goodbye. Bags in hallways every night. Crew had no clue if you were coming or going. Felt like a bus trip and not a cruise.

2. Every announcement was in FIVE languages so it absolutely never ended. Not only the safety drill (again every day), but also the case for pool activities and in the theatre etc.

3. Food was generally really bad. Even in YV it didn’t have a standard cruise quality.

4. Our fellow guests from all over Europe will large school groups. You will find loud people everywhere but 100% Europeans and a lot of smoking…

5. Crew were working really hard but constantly getting yelled by in languages they didn’t know and trying to help but I saw so many strange scenes were security had to intervene just because of the language problems.

To answer your other question. Here’s my current list of my favorite cruise lines:

Oceania

NCL

Holland America

Regent

Celebrity

Cunard

Royal Caribbean

- Fredrik

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, KKB said:

I'm eyeing the Joy on Sept. 2. With a My Vegas $500 & CruiseNext it could be close to free...

The Joy sailing on September 2 is a bargain, especially the balcony cabins.  We were all set to book it until we realized we had a schedule conflict:(  Enjoy if you go!  We have done that itinerary before and took Amtrak back to NYC from Montreal, which was very enjoyable.

• Like 1

At least the high cruise prices for 2025/26 has made me more comfortable spending more on my land trips than I would have been before. So I've quite a few of those lined up.

I still think NCL is the cruise line that gives ME the best (least bad) value. I don't know if destination or room type (or both) makes the difference, but for European )preferably Northern) cruises, solo in "cheap" rooms NCL gives me best (least bad) value. (In "value" the itinerary is of course important)

I like to cruise but it's getting way too expensive so as things look now I may do one or two cruises and several land trips to places I want to see more of or just like to hang in very year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do think NCL is at a disadvantage in most pure pricing comparison scenarios because their prices are truly bundled ("Sail-Away" rates without the add-ons are almost always "sold out", even on just released itineraries years out).  I am sure if all the other cruise line default prices included their bundles (or added their cost of all the NCL FAS inclusions) in their default cruise rates, I would see NCL showing up earlier in my "cheap cruises searches" (NCL doesn't appear until like Page 10 in my Cruise Plum searches today, maybe an occasional transatlantic)......but it is also a challenge in that I might not always want to be forced to BUY wi-fi and specialty dining and particularly subsidize those BOGO airfare with the downsides entailed....and would rather just have a more competitive cabin rate so I could give them more business as I do like the overall product.  

• Like 2

I agree that NCL is more expensive in Europe than its competitors due to the Sail Away fares being almost never available. Our first ever cruise was almost on NCL but the Sail Away price disappeared from one day to the next, so we went to the competition (RCI). 

To be fair, the prices of all holidays have increased dramatically. We always compare multiple different cruise lines and land-based options, and cruising remains competitive but not on the big American lines. The cheapest cruise options in Europe are either MSC, Costa or P&O depending on the dates and itineraries (MSC has very aggressive pricing in the US market, but not in Europe! MSC is not always cheap here, and in fact can be quite expensive on the World Europa and Euribia.)

I would like to try NCL but I won't until they drop their prices. I also want to go on a Royal Caribbean cruise again, to try out their Oasis class, but I won't as long as they charge people through the nose for a ship that is over 15 years old. Carnival has few sailings in Europe but their prices are not crazy, so I might try them if the dates/itineraries line up.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Fredrik said:

We’ve sailed with 12 different lines and when MSC started to status match we wanted to give it ago, especially since Yacht Club got good reviews.

in context we sailed in Europe and it’s different. So the top bad things at MSC.

1. Every port was embarkation and debarkation. Welcome onboard and goodbye. Bags in hallways every night. Crew had no clue if you were coming or going. Felt like a bus trip and not a cruise.

2. Every announcement was in FIVE languages so it absolutely never ended. Not only the safety drill (again every day), but also the case for pool activities and in the theatre etc.

3. Food was generally really bad. Even in YV it didn’t have a standard cruise quality.

4. Our fellow guests from all over Europe will large school groups. You will find loud people everywhere but 100% Europeans and a lot of smoking…

5. Crew were working really hard but constantly getting yelled by in languages they didn’t know and trying to help but I saw so many strange scenes were security had to intervene just because of the language problems.

To answer your other question. Here’s my current list of my favorite cruise lines:

Oceania

NCL

Holland America

Regent

Celebrity

Cunard

Royal Caribbean

- Fredrik

I wont mention them by name but there is a pair of very successful cruise vloggers from the UK and they state the children on European MSC cruises are the worst ever.  Their words, not mine. We tend to think Americans are the rudest but there are some really rude Europeans.  My co-worker took a Mediterranean cruise which was mainly Europeans and Israelis.  He's born and raised in Miami which is the rudest city in the USA and he was appalled by the behavior.  He was physically pushed out of the buffet line.  During sail away some crank next to him asked him where he was from and he said Miami.  The crank's response "You don't have cruises in your country, you have to come here?"
This is why I stick to this side of the pond 🙂

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I wont mention them by name but there is a pair of very successful cruise vloggers from the UK and they state the children on European MSC cruises are the worst ever.  Their words, not mine. We tend to think Americans are the rudest but there are some really rude Europeans.  My co-worker took a Mediterranean cruise which was mainly Europeans and Israelis.  He's born and raised in Miami which is the rudest city in the USA and he was appalled by the behavior.  He was physically pushed out of the buffet line.  During sail away some crank next to him asked him where he was from and he said Miami.  The crank's response "You don't have cruises in your country, you have to come here?"
This is why I stick to this side of the pond 🙂

It’s not even a contest, I’m European and European kids are the worst. 🤣

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

We tend to think Americans are the rudest

OT, but WHAT???? I (Scandinavian) find Americans in general the absolutel opposite of rude! (There are exceptions of course, but thankfully few) Very friendly and helpful. So are the British. As for other nationalitiles, there are all kinds! I have noticed some nationalities being extra rude around the buffet, but I will not name them here. 😮 

Edit: I'm talking about adults here. Thankfully there hasn't been too many kids on the cruises I've done. I try to pick ones that don't attract kids/teens.

Edited by Asawi
  • Like 2

Can we please not turn an NCL pricing thread into a "which whole population of individuals" is most unwelcome, that just isn't going to go anywhere good............

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It seems like not a week goes by that I don't see both of these scenarios play out here on our beloved Cruise Critic:

1. People complaining about the reduction in services, cutbacks, elimination of their favorite beverages, etc., accompanied by something to the effect of "I wouldn't mind paying a bit more to have these things again."

2. People complaining about the high cost of NCL cruises.

It's almost like asking for more results in higher prices. 🤔Weird, that! (I'm sure some clever man or woman will tell me that prices are rising without a commensurate increase in service and selection, but the point remains: don't complain about rising prices when you ask for more, it doesn't work that way!) Want more? Prepare to pay more, and for everybody else to pay more, too, bearing in mind that not all cruisers are in the same income bracket. What is a "bit more" to me or you might be a dealbreaker for others.

Carry on, folks! 😄

• Haha 1

Just a general observation, I believe NCL had published (don't ask me where, I don't remember as I was trying to find the stat) that most of their adult cruisers want the drinks, use internet, etc.  So, the Free At Sea package is probably booked with the vast majority of adult cruisers.

Don't know how many "Sail-Away" cabins NCL has available, never really looked as I like including the cheap drinks package.  But, for those who look for the "no frill" cruise experience (which is probably the least profitable for any cruise line), you can find those on other cruise lines more readily.

I know Carnival and Royal actually don't have anything comparable to an "inclusive" package unless you actually "add it" to your booked fare.  That said, as has been mentioned here, those others aren't budget friendly in the least.

I think I got drink packages with my MSC Cruises but don't remember their cost.

It took me a while to get to Diamond status on Royal.  But, as such, they give 4 drinks of any type as a "perk" per day.  I use those and pay for any extra drinks if I go over the 4.  But, a couple of drinks over and above those included 4, and you're paying the same as you would for NCL's FAS per day.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Just a general observation, I believe NCL had published (don't ask me where, I don't remember as I was trying to find the stat) that most of their adult cruisers want the drinks, use internet, etc.  So, the Free At Sea package is probably booked with the vast majority of adult cruisers.

Don't know how many "Sail-Away" cabins NCL has available, never really looked as I like including the cheap drinks package.  But, for those who look for the "no frill" cruise experience (which is probably the least profitable for any cruise line), you can find those on other cruise lines more readily.

I know Carnival and Royal actually don't have anything comparable to an "inclusive" package unless you actually "add it" to your booked fare.  That said, as has been mentioned here, those others aren't budget friendly in the least.

I think I got drink packages with my MSC Cruises but don't remember their cost.

It took me a while to get to Diamond status on Royal.  But, as such, they give 4 drinks of any type as a "perk" per day.  I use those and pay for any extra drinks if I go over the 4.  But, a couple of drinks over and above those included 4, and you're paying the same as you would for NCL's FAS per day.

For US sailings, MSC nearly always offers a base fare and a "best value" fare. The "best value" fare includes the Easy Plus Drinks package and unlimited wifi. But it is always possible to book without that. They don't set aside specific cabins for each fare type, it is just an option you can choose no matter what cabin you are booking (except for Yacht Club which already includes drinks and wifi, so not possible to book a base fare for YC).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

For US sailings, MSC nearly always offers a base fare and a "best value" fare. The "best value" fare includes the Easy Plus Drinks package and unlimited wifi. But it is always possible to book without that. They don't set aside specific cabins for each fare type, it is just an option you can choose no matter what cabin you are booking (except for Yacht Club which already includes drinks and wifi, so not possible to book a base fare for YC).

Thanks.  Didn't know that.  I got the packages when I sailed MSC.

But, I always get the packages on any cruise line, except for the previously mentioned Royal Cruises.  But, you have to be Diamond to get the 4 drinks/day.  And, their drinks packages are WAY expensive by comparison.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

But, I always get the packages on any cruise line, except for the previously mentioned Royal Cruises.  But, you have to be Diamond to get the 4 drinks/day.  And, their drinks packages are WAY expensive by comparison.

My plan is to wait until I do one more cruise on Celebrity and hit Elite before ever sailing RCCL, that way I will get matched to Diamond. I have never even considered RCCL, because I ALWAYS get the drink package and RCCL doesn't tell you how much the drink package is actually going to cost you up front since they have variable pricing and sales and such. That makes it impossible for me to completely price out an RCCL cruise to compare against other cruises.

I'll never sail on Virgin either, because they don't even have a drink package.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 3:01 PM, JamieLogical said:

Right. That is my point. Why are people continuing to pay these high prices on NCL when there are better prices to be had elsewhere for better products?

etter is highly subjective.  Not everyone subscribes to your (or my) definition of that word.  Much more than the price goes into the equation as well such as opportunity cost. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

My plan is to wait until I do one more cruise on Celebrity and hit Elite before ever sailing RCCL, that way I will get matched to Diamond. I have never even considered RCCL, because I ALWAYS get the drink package and RCCL doesn't tell you how much the drink package is actually going to cost you up front since they have variable pricing and sales and such. That makes it impossible for me to completely price out an RCCL cruise to compare against other cruises.

Good plan.  I like Celebrity.  I sailed them when they had cheap(er) fares.  Haven't sailed them in a while.  It you sail Celebrity enough, you hit ELITE status.  During the restart, their fares were really cheap, and included EVERYTHING.  And, they were doing double-up points.  So, I got to Elite Quickly.  That maps to Diamond on Royal.

But, I last sailed Royal a couple of years ago...on Anthem of the Seas.  I've never had a bad cruise, but if one came close, it was that one.  So, I've punted them to the back burner.  Plus, as you point out, you never know how much the drink package is going to be until you book.

Celebrity?  More sedate than NCL, but the ships are quite nice and enjoyed sailing them.  I peak at their fares pretty regularly, but they are quite high.

I think Royal and their sister brands have made a conscious decision to raise fares across the board.  Add in the "extras" and I've stayed away.

Edited by graphicguy

14 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

check this out-you can find the drink package prices before booking:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I think the NCL beverage package is a steal, compared to most other lines, which is why I find it hilarious when people complain about having to pay, at the most, $21 per day for the beverage gratuities.

We have an upcoming sailing on Royal, it's 5 days, and the base price for the deluxe package is $115 per person, per day. However, sometimes they say the base is $110 per person, per day. See, Royal uses a dynamic pricing method, so even the base price can change depending on the ship, the length of the cruise, the itinerary, and the time of year. As far as I can tell, NCL always charges the same price for the unlimited beverage package, no matter what. I was able to get 30% off on Royal, PLUS 18% gratuities, so my total per day cost is $90. And no, the cost of the cruise isn't lower than NCL, because I checked comparable sailings for the same time frame. I'm sure people will call me a "cheerleader" but I'm just stating the cold, hard facts. The one thing Royal offers that NCL doesn't is Starbucks coffee (but NOT at the standalone Starbucks kiosks, those you must pay for separately). I hate Starbucks so it doesn't affect me, but even factoring that in, you pay more on Royal than NCL, period. (Unless you're Diamond and we're not. This is only my 2nd cruise ever on Royal.)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Good plan.  I like Celebrity.  I sailed them when they had cheap(er) fares.  Haven't sailed them in a while.  It you sail Celebrity enough, you hit ELITE status.  During the restart, their fares were really cheap, and included EVERYTHING.  And, they were doing double-up points.  So, I got to Elite Quickly.  That maps to Diamond on Royal.

But, I last sailed Royal a couple of years ago...on Anthem of the Seas.  I've never had a bad cruise, but if one came close, it was that one.  So, I've punted them to the back burner.  Plus, as you point out, you never know how much the drink package is going to be until you book.

Celebrity?  More sedate than NCL, but the ships are quite nice and enjoyed sailing them.

We have an eye on an April repositioning cruise on the Silhouette which would get me to Elite, but the $900 non-refundable deposit is our main deterrent right now. My husband has a lot of negative things going on with work right now and is contemplating changing jobs, so we can't commit to a $900 deposit if he is going to change jobs and maybe not be able to get time off in April. It' costs something like $500 to book with a refundable deposit. So our options are to FOR sure lose $500 or to *maybe* lose $900. Neither is a great option, so we are holding off.

17 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Also, I believe that you do not need to wait to be Elite on Celebrity to book a Royal and get the benefits.

This is not a one time match since they are the same parent company, you just need to make sure your profile has both reward program numbers. We booked our first Celebrity months ago and were preview (no status). After coming home from our 3rd RCL (Gold), our Celebrity satus changed to their first level

1 minute ago, ngrund said:

Also, I believe that you do not need to wait to be Elite on Celebrity to book a Royal and get the benefits.

This is not a one time match since they are the same parent company, you just need to make sure your profile has both reward program numbers. We booked our first Celebrity months ago and were preview (no status). After coming home from our 3rd RCL (Gold), our Celebrity satus changed to their first level

Right, but if I don't wait until I am Elite on Celebrity, then I won't be Diamond on RCCL if/when I sail with them anytime before that and therefore won't get the free drinks from being Diamond. I have zero intention of sailing on RCCL before I get the Diamond benefits onboard.

Posted (edited)

Well I’m stunned! Looking at Northern European cruises that focus on British isles next July 

Dawn for 4 in club balcony 11 days total $17331

Princess Regal 4 in mini suite 12 days taking the princess plus pkg which is drinks including water coffees and juice bar, crew appreciation etc

total price $9262 

That is a significant difference

NCL is out of their minds

Edited by njkate
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

...we can't commit to a $900 deposit if he is going to change jobs and maybe not be able to get time off in April. It' costs something like $500 to book with a refundable deposit. So our options are to FOR sure lose $500 or to *maybe* lose $900. Neither is a great option, so we are holding off.

This is another great feature about NCL that I often forget about until I am booking with another cruise line.  Most of them require non-refundable deposits to access their best fares, whereas NCL is fully refundable....or even better, just throw a CruiseNext certificate on there and forget about it. 

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I can see that, however we booked our first Virgin cruise earlier this year, the cruise is in January 2025. They were offering a deal where we get a $400 bar tab for free, and since you can share the package it'll probably be more than enough for us. But I totally get that, I would prefer an all-inclusive package. The nice thing is that sodas, water, juices and non-premium coffees are included with the cruise fare.