Confused about cruising with my teen to Alaska through Canada

Hi all,

I am cruising on NCL with my 17year old. We are both Canadians with passports. We are flying from Canada to Seattle to board the ship going to Alaska. We make a stop in Victoria BC. In the emails from NCL, it stated that teens traveling with 1 parent do not require the notarized letter from the other parent. However, on their website, it states that if you make a stop in Canada, you are required to have this letter unless with both parents. 

Is this the case even if we are Canadian? For example, I can fly anywhere in Canada with my teen without needing to have this letter, so do I still need it if simply stopping in Canada? 

Thanks!

Sonia

1 hour ago, Cruise Crazy Family said:

Hi all,

I am cruising on NCL with my 17year old. We are both Canadians with passports. We are flying from Canada to Seattle to board the ship going to Alaska. We make a stop in Victoria BC. In the emails from NCL, it stated that teens traveling with 1 parent do not require the notarized letter from the other parent. However, on their website, it states that if you make a stop in Canada, you are required to have this letter unless with both parents. 

Is this the case even if we are Canadian? For example, I can fly anywhere in Canada with my teen without needing to have this letter, so do I still need it if simply stopping in Canada? 

Thanks!

Sonia

Don’t rely on the information on CC. Ask NCL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Don’t rely on the information on CC. Ask NCL.

Yes, thank you. I did consult NCL. It is confusing to me. I asked the chat agent and they said they could not give legal advice, so I will complete the form and get the letter and IDs and get everything notarized. Hopefully we can have a notary friend do it for free.

I'd be more concerned with entry to the US, both your initial flight and later cruise into Alaska, than with the entry to Canada. As the webpage cited by @broberts states:

There is no Canadian legal requirement for children to carry a consent letter. However, a consent letter may be requested by immigration authorities when entering or leaving a foreign country, airline agents or Canadian officials when re-entering Canada. Failure to produce a letter upon request may result in delays or refusal to enter or exit a country.

When my children were young, I often drove my son into the US for tournaments while my DW stayed at home with our daughter. Never needed a letter. And my son has often done the same with our grandson. Just a few weeks ago, his wife drove to the US and back with their daughter, again with no letter. Based on the experience of our family, there is no issue entering the US or returning to Canada without a letter.

I would re-contact NCL, preferably in writing, and ask whether you will be prohibited from boarding if you do not have the letter. It's their ship and their rules, so if NCL says you have to have one to embark, you'll need to bring one, even if US and Canadian authorities don't require it.

BTW, I'd suggest that you raise this on the NCL forum as well.

• Like 2

Hello Sonia, if you are able to get the letter. Then I suggest you be safe and get it 

I traveled with my daughter from 9 to 18

Always had a letter from my ex.

He was not big on paperwork, but if I prepared it, he would sign it

Btw, the only time I was asked for it was on re entry into CA.

• Like 1