Is Princess PLUS worth it for me personally?

24 minutes ago, dog said:

What country are you in?

I do not see grats on my screen for the $35.39 zero alcohol pkg

I think this is referring to the 18% gratuity on every drink order, not the daily cruise gratuity for all staff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, voljeep said:

'once free' - how far you gonna go backwards? 

Alfredos - that one I will give you

Vines - they had a few tapas on some ships - but nothing like the current offering

wifi/internet/intranet - but, but, but - we used to get free minutes ...

Room service - $5.00 - you got it

Ocean now - $14.99 - relatively new

remember when if you had a package - it did NOT include ALCOHOL DRINKS for cabin delivery?  I do - and now it does

So it fits you style, then go for it. 

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

They've convinced - hahaha - good one

but that's just me - no convincing needed...I'm a big boy and can think for myself

Exactly.

1 hour ago, 555 said:

It's probably one of the best packages Princess has every thought of for profit making. Confuse the people with enough options and then remove items that were once free once they were considering a purchase.☺️

They aren't free now.

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

3 drinks on a sea day is called 'brunch' - on  a port day - breakfast, welcome back on board, pre-dinner 🥂

Fully agree.  It's 100% the best value at sea.  For what is included in the Plus package, something comparable on RCI or Carnival would be double the price.  It works for those that know it's a great value and of course it doesn't work for a certain type of clientele.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 555 said:

That's true if you actually want those things but as we don't want or need internet, alcohol (we bring what little we need), casual dining, specialty coffee or fresh squeezed juice, we can easily live without any package and just enjoy what's available with the basic fare.

They've convinced people that they need all the extras when you can certainly get good value without them. 

I'll agree to a certain extent, but what you perceive as good value is just the bare bones minimum that was your only choice before Celebrity started with the drink packages many years ago and other lines followed and most of them have their own version.  Some are more inclusive than others and what Princess provides was an absolute fabulous value at 40 and still is at 60 per day.  On a 7 day cruise on the Sphere Class, the Premier is a great value since you get two specialty dinners, unlimited casual and the 20.00 alcohol ceiling.  

There's no way that Princess or any other cruise line have ever convinced us that we need all of the extras.  We choose to enjoy the packages and see excellent value in them.  We also usually cruise in an inside cabin, so even with the package expenditure we're still paying less on board compared to those that go package less and stay in a basic balcony.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

On a 7 day cruise on the Sphere Class, the Premier is a great value since you get two specialty dinners, unlimited casual and the 20.00 alcohol ceiling.  

it gets you the same on Royal class.

9 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

We also usually cruise in an inside cabin, so even with the package expenditure we're still paying less on board compared to those that go package less and stay in a basic balcony.

umh, no, not when we sail.

interior for 2 - $1,576.00 plus Plus package $840 = $2,416

basic (non-obstructed) balcony for 2 - $2,186.00 without Plus plus grats = $2,410.

Yes, it's only $6, but still... An obstructed balcony is even cheaper.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

1 minute ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

in the US. I added the package to my cart and the total showed up at $35.39x7 exactly.

And regarding included grats, was it the 18% on drinks or also the 16.00 per day that goes into the general pot?

Assuming the 16 is not included, that increases the package to 51.39, so you're 8.61 short of WiFi and alcohol being included as well as two casual meals.

7 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

in the US. I added the package to my cart and the total showed up at $35.39x7 exactly.

It looked like the daily gratuity was included in your post.  I do not see the same wording in my screen.  I get it. Only drinks grats.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

And regarding included grats, was it the 18% on drinks or also the 16.00 per day that goes into the general pot?

Assuming the 16 is not included, that increases the package to 51.39, so you're 8.61 short of WiFi and alcohol being included as well as two casual meals.

but OP doesn't want alcohol or wifi.  I was comparing having a non-alcohol package with unlimited soda, water, mocktails and fancy coffees plus daily grats to buying two $15 mocktails + grats a day he/she mentioned.

Also, we had unlimited casual meals on our last cruise, and we didn't get to eat them even once.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

but OP doesn't want alcohol or wifi.  I was comparing having a non-alcohol package with unlimited soda, water, mocktails and fancy coffees plus daily grats to buying two $15 mocktails + grats a day he/she mentioned.

Also, we had unlimited casual meals on our last cruise, and we didn't get to eat them even once.

Just because you didn't get to utilize your two casual meals doesn't mean that others would not use them.  We would always go on port days since Gigi's or Alfredo's was better than the buffet offerings on the Discovery and the Majestic.

We already have paid for Plus and we'll use our 400 in OBC towards the 560 to upgrade to Premier.  We'll be able to enjoy the new more expensive drinks that are between 16-20 as well as unlimited casual and the two specialty dinners.

7 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Just because you didn't get to utilize your two casual meals doesn't mean that others would not use them. 

sooo... are we still trying to help OP or did we switch to calculating whether Plus makes sense for YOU? Because OP said:

On 7/29/2024 at 3:31 PM, Nemanoxer said:

Usually, I stay away from specialty restaurants and what Princess call Casual Dining Meals

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

sooo... are we still trying to help OP or did we switch to calculating whether Plus makes sense for YOU? Because OP said:

The OP can make up their own mind as to what package may work for them or if  no package works for them at all.  The more information that one has makes it easier for them to come to an educated decision as to whether the Plus package, Premier package, non alcoholic package or no package makes the most sense to them.

I am sure  you will decide what is best for you, but here is how I figure it for us.

Cost of Premier for each of us-$80 a day

So each day......

Crew Appreciation is about $20-in a suite.

1 glass of wine at lunch-$20

2 glasses of wine at dinner-$40

1 Yes, the disgusting sundae after a small pizza-$15 for pizza and $12 for ice cream'

1 onion rings at Omallyes- with a beer-$15 onion rings and $7 for beer

2 exercise classes a day-$60

1 cake after dinner-$4

1 after dinner coffee with Baileys before bedtime.-$14

25 photos, yes, just bug the heck out of the photo folks-cost, unknown

Never have won a prize with door, but have not tried very hard either.

So, as you can see Plus is not worth it to us and we do Premier.

Yes, some of this is overlap since we do get 2 set ups in the room and happy hour in the lounge. But at least I think we come out even if not ahead. If I add correctly this all adds up to $207, 

As you can see we are not big drinkers or eaters, yes, a lot of this is not finished, but I love to try foods so I eat what I want and leave the rest. I understand that it will be wasteful but on vacation I find in my mind it is OK.

Anyway have a great trip, I am sure you will.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 4:31 PM, Nemanoxer said:

Hi there.

My first ever Princess cruise is coming up on Sun Princess on 19th October 2024. It´s a 7 days cruise in CA category (Cabana Mini Suite)

If you were me, would you still book PLUS?

Don't waste your money. I drink perhaps 1-2 drinks a day and it still doesn't pay for me to do the drink package.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Don't waste your money. I drink perhaps 1-2 drinks a day and it still doesn't pay for me to do the drink package.

If you're only drinking 1-2 drinks per day, it obviously would never pay to get the drink package.

But there have been some who drink zero alcoholic drinks and still find value in the Plus package since after factoring out the 16 for gratuities it leaves you with only 44 towards all of the other inclusions of the package.  WiFi, casual meals, ocean now, medallion mailing, soda, espresso based drinks, bottled water, fresh squeezed juice, fancy cakes/sundae.

On 7/30/2024 at 5:40 AM, Leo37 said:

If you're questioning the value, it's also possible to bring cans of soft drinks / sodas on board. On our last cruise, we took 12 sodas on board and put them in the mini fridge. Might change the balance for you. But generally agree with advice of others, if you think it's 50:50, I'd lean towards getting the package as you're on vacation.

hi

first time on Princess for me in September . I might have missed it on the boards but I was wondering - can you take alcohol on board ? thanks 

1 minute ago, seahorse001 said:

hi

first time on Princess for me in September . I might have missed it on the boards but I was wondering - can you take alcohol on board ? thanks 

You can bring a 750 ml bottle of wine pp on embarkation day.  Liquor can't be brought on if you're referring to vodka, gin, etc.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

You can bring a 750 ml bottle of wine pp on embarkation day.  Liquor can't be brought on if you're referring to vodka, gin, etc.  

thanks for the info, I don't drink wine just liquor . Ha ! 

1 minute ago, seahorse001 said:

Then get the Plus package for 60 bucks a day.  Gratuities, WiFi, unlimited non alcoholic drinks, 15 alcoholic drinks with a ceiling of 15.00 each and two casual meals over the course of the week are included in the package.

42 minutes ago, seahorse001 said:

You can order 350ml bottles of liquor to your cabin at a reasonable price. Check it out on your booking. I usually pre-order a bottle of Cognac or scotch (depending on the selection)

1 hour ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Gosh! I have to drink 2 litres (half a gallon) or 8 glasses a day just to stay hydrated so my kidneys keep working. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

You can order 350ml bottles of liquor to your cabin at a reasonable price. Check it out on your booking. I usually pre-order a bottle of Cognac or scotch (depending on the selection)

😆 Reasonable is debatable term.

• Like 1