Communication process for shore excursions

In 2022, I took a 21-day cruise on the Rotterdam.  At that time, here is the comment I made concerning the shore excursion process:  There were multiple means of communication for everything related to the cruise except shore excursions.  The only place to find out if an excursion’s time had changed, where to meet for the excursion, or if the excursion had been cancelled was the app.  I had to repeatedly go to the shore excursion office to reconfirm the information for the three excursions I had.  I turn off my phone and lock it in the safe when I cruise.  This procedure for shore excursions was such a hassle that I have not returned to HAL since although I am a 4-Star Mariner.

My question is:  Are they still using this app-only communication system for shore excursions?  Is it on all ships?  Have they extended the app-only communication process to other parts of the cruise experience?

• Like 1

The app is widely used now.  

Shore exc is mostly communicated through the app.  If there is a cancellation, we have received paper notifications on some shops but not all.   

Dinning reservations are also handled through the app although you can book at the restaurant but communication is through the app as well as menus.  

You account and charges are available via app or stateroom tv.  

Hope this helps.  

• Like 1

I also used to lock up my phone when I boarded the ship. The only problem was that I had given up on watches many years ago. I found that I needed to buy a cheap watch at the first port so that I knew when to be back on the ship. I now have a drawer full of old Romex watches. They didn't last long after I returned home. Sometimes technology doesn't wait for us to catch up. Here is a list of ships (tongue-in-cheek) on which you may feel more comfortable.

https://www.cruisingearth.com/info/worlds-oldest-active-cruise-ships/

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, poinsettiaplate said:

Thank you.  It does help me to know that I will not be cruising with HAL again.

I understand wanting to "get away" completely by leaving your phone in the safe.  I guess.  But it does seem just a tiny bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face... I am sorry you've given up on HAL... can I ask what line you are cruising on now that has a lower tech way of communicating about shore excursions?

Edited by Moriah
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

One can see their shore excursion details on the TV. It includes time, where to meet, etc.  I have no personal knowledge of how accurate or up to date that information is.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

One can see their shore excursion details on the TV. It includes time, where to meet, etc.  I have no personal knowledge of how accurate or up to date that information is.   

That is correct, and I had written the same thing when I decided to edit because I realized that trying to bring the info up on the TV using the remote is definitely just as "hard" if not harder than using the Navigator app on one's phone, so I figured the OP would not be interested.  In fact, basically what happens on the TV is you are using the app, just on a larger device.  I do have sympathy for people who are trying hard to "not need" their smart phones but it reminds me of my Mom, many years ago, saying she didn't want and didn't need and would never have a microwave oven in her kitchen, thank you very much...  In later years she did get one (well, we just stuck it in her kitchen and she used it here and there for warming things up, not to "cook."), but I think my point is, we don't do ourselves a service by rejecting technology.  We don't have to become addicted to scrolling on Tic-Toc or playing video games, but looking up our shore ex info may actually be called, dare I say it, "covenient"?  Also, I do feel a bit more secure walking around foreign countries (or even domestic ports) knowing I have my phone "just in case."  But to each his own, I'm not bashing "Luddites" of any degree. 

Edited by Moriah
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Of all the reasons to not sail with HAL I have seen, this excuse seems to be the least believable. Keep your phone on airplane mode and in your cabin and you will still be able to access the app for free and without the need to have a wi-fi package. We always take our smart phones on shore with us just in case we have any emergencies.  HAL isn't the only cruise line that uses smart phone communication for most aspects of your cruise. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

There are some people who don't have a smart phone. With so many aspects of travel dependent on using an app, I don't know how they do it. There are paper options for some things, like boarding passes. (I always print my pass for a cruise because you never know if part of the processing is stamping "approved" or some such on the pass.) But some theater or tour tickets are strictly digital.

Back when roaming was outrageously expensive, I never took my phone with me in port. Now, I always do. More than anything, I use the map function because my phone will show me more than the Diamonds International et al that are on the ship's map. 

I know there's a lot of bashing of Navigator around here, but after using Cunard's "MyVoyage" I will not complain about Navigator. Cunard's app does not show menus, does not have a comment option, shows the daily program as a pdf with no ability to note items and get a reminder, and while you can see your balance, you can't get all the details of your account. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

There are some people who don't have a smart phone. With so many aspects of travel dependent on using an app, I don't know how they do it. There are paper options for some things, like boarding passes. (I always print my pass for a cruise because you never know if part of the processing is stamping "approved" or some such on the pass.) But some theater or tour tickets are strictly digital.

Back when roaming was outrageously expensive, I never took my phone with me in port. Now, I always do. More than anything, I use the map function because my phone will show me more than the Diamonds International et al that are on the ship's map. 

I know there's a lot of bashing of Navigator around here, but after using Cunard's "MyVoyage" I will not complain about Navigator. Cunard's app does not show menus, does not have a comment option, shows the daily program as a pdf with no ability to note items and get a reminder, and while you can see your balance, you can't get all the details of your account. 

We have used Celebrity's app which is just barely better than the Navigator app. Even Celebrity has digitized most of the aspects of on-board ship life too. Next March we will be on an Oceania cruise for the first time, and I am not sure what they use onboard for an app if any.

Our ATT smart phone now includes free roaming, texting and calling in Mexico, Canada, some Central and South America countries and many Caribbean islands. In other countries we pay only $10 a day for the same services with a maximum billing of $100 per billing cycle. This makes taking our smart phones with us very cost effective since most of our cruise and land vacations are over 14 days. On the ship we use Wi-Fi calling to receive and send any needed calls and to receive texts and keep our phones in airlane mode. We never leave the sip without our phones for safety reasons and also like you said, for map guidance. Last year while walking aorund Rome we got totally lost and our smart phone's google maps got us back to our hotel. 

The new Starlink systems on most ships have improved at sea connectivity emensly. We are in our mid 70's and have adapted to the new electroic age.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 4

I know this topic started out about shore excursions and morphed into smart phones but here's my 2 cents.  Regarding the app, just deal with it.  It's how the majority of lines are doing it these days and there are options if you refuse to use it.  For buying a watch instead of using your phone for time keeping/alarms, just turn off the 'Set Automatically' option and manually set it to ships time which is available on the TV as well as clocks throughout the ship.  We do this as soon as we get onboard and it stays that way until we get off.  And you're notified in your cabin when ships time is going to change so you're kept up to date.  Yes you have to do this throughout the cruise, but it's better than having the wrong time and missing the all aboard time.  In case you don't know, the ships time may not be the same as the local time - always follow ships time.  For using the phone off ship, I'm 100% for it.  Our T-Mobile plan covers all the countries on our Auckland to Seattle cruise next year with one exception without paying extra.  The mapping, translation and ability to call for help if need are more than enough reasons to take it off ship.  It also acts as a camera.  I'm not trying to be snarky, but refusing to adapt to change is just hurting yourself in the long run or at least reducing your options.  You don't have embrace everything (Tiktok - YUCK!)  but some things take on a life of their own and become the way things just work and smart phones are in the category.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

We have a travel phone that is about 10 years old, Android, we bring it just to use the APP while on the ship, our actual cell phone we leave at home.  People don’t necessarily need a smartphone.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

We have a travel phone that is about 10 years old, Android, we bring it just to use the APP while on the ship, our actual cell phone we leave at home.  People don’t necessarily need a smartphone.

Exactly.  One does not need cell coverage. An iPad would do.  One can simply turn off their cellular, FaceTime and messaging and use the device for the app 

17 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

At some point your old phone will not work with the app. I'm actually surprised it still does!

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

At some point your old phone will not work with the app. I'm actually surprised it still does!

We are using the older version of the app.  There are about 8 versions of the APP available.  Yes you are correct we are not able to download current versions and more modern apps.  The old phone has Whats APP on it.  We don't even have a SIM Card in it, it is strictly our travel phone to use on the ship and to log into internet if we purchase on the ship or if we are in port can send texts and Whats APP to family back home or to communicate with our independent tour operators.  Has a camera on it as well that takes good pictures.

Edited by Lido deck main
  • Like 2

Setting aside my assessment that a cell phone is not an adequate communication or computing device, my objection to the app is that a company (or industry) which prides itself on its customer service is asking me to do my own customer service.  I prefer to reward those companies that still believe in that concept.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, poinsettiaplate said:

Setting aside my assessment that a cell phone is not an adequate communication or computing device, my objection to the app is that a company (or industry) which prides itself on its customer service is asking me to do my own customer service.  I prefer to reward those companies that still believe in that concept.

Don't you love how airlines, theaters, cruise ships say "for your convenience," you may download and print your boarding pass/ticket? HOW is that for MY convenience?????

14 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Don't you love how airlines, theaters, cruise ships say "for your convenience," you may download and print your boarding pass/ticket? HOW is that for MY convenience?????

Our airline will print our boarding passes at the airport for $25.00 each, so it is for my convenience to print at home. 

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Yes...Because standing in another line of people at the airport waiting to get their boarding passes is something else I really enjoy doing. So actually I find printing my own boarding pass is for my own convenience. But if you prefer to stand in that line please do. 

How often does a shore excursion get canceled or rescheduled?  Almost never, the only time I have seen this happen is when the ship arrives late at cruise stop.

1 hour ago, MikeD4134 said:

How often does a shore excursion get canceled or rescheduled?  Almost never, the only time I have seen this happen is when the ship arrives late at cruise stop.

One of my shore excursions on the Westerdam this past June was cancelled for not enough participants. You're correct it doesn't happen frequently but this isn't the first time I've had one cancelled on me either. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, poinsettiaplate said:

Cancelling may not happen often but times and meeting locations change frequently, particularly from what one booked before boarding.

Can you document that statement with data from the company?

after reading this string of posts I am confused by your claim.  1st there are only 2 locations to meet for your excursion.  If it is a tender port you meet in the theater where you show them your ticket which is on your mobile device in the Navigator App.  They no longer use paper tickets.  This process begins soon after the ship anchors, so if anything has been canceled or changed they will inform you when you show up.  There are many crew members there to provide assistance, who very knowledgeable about the process and will get you to where you need to be. If the ship is docked, you are directed to disembark the ship and you will find staff everywhere to direct you to the boarding area for your tour.  The crew there will check your ticket and guide you to the bus for your tour.  Customer service does not get any better than that.