Understanding the cancellation party for if 1 of the 3 guest can't sail

Sailing would be in June 2025 for a OVB with three people. One person due to their age and health COULD have health complications in 2025. Our deposit is $250 pp, with final deposit being required in March 2025.

So if it's February 2025 and the third person decided to change their mind due to their health, would I be penalize with the total deposit amount that's scheduled for March or will it not matter? I would just of course pay a higher fare since I was in a triple occupancy (cheaper) and got switched to a double occupancy.

I just want to present this senior with the proper information of the amount they could lose if they cancel before our payment date in March. Of course their deposit of $250 I would refund personally, as their initial deposit would just go towards the fare for me.

Posted (edited)

First of all just to clarify, the initial deposit of $250 is what is paid to secure the booking. It is the final payment for the cruise fare total in full that is due March 2025.  I say that as whether there are 2 or 3 going, the full payment for those cruising is due then.  There are no refunds after final payment for those who end up not going.  So you should know by then who is going for sure so as not to risk losing money by paying for someone who may end up being a no show. 

If you booked with a refundable deposit, you can drop the third person from the booking prior to the March final payment with no penalty and a full refund of the original deposit amount paid - $250. If you booked with a non-refundable deposit, you may lose that third person's deposit amount by canceling the third person prior to final payment.  (They may just charge a $100 fee as a change fee and refund the balance).

A triple occupancy stateroom is not cheaper than a double occupancy stateroom. The staterooms are priced at a double occupancy fare per person for the first two passengers, and then a separate (usually lower) fare added to that for the third person.  Dropping that third person would just have it repriced at the double occupancy fare for the remaining two.  The third person's deposit would either be refunded or kept by the cruise line based on its type as mentioned, but not credited towards the remaining two passenger's fares.

I would suggest contacting whomever you booked through and discuss this with them to confirm your options and potential initial deposit risks.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

55 minutes ago, xps15z said:

Sailing would be in June 2025 for a OVB with three people. One person due to their age and health COULD have health complications in 2025. Our deposit is $250 pp, with final deposit being required in March 2025.

So if it's February 2025 and the third person decided to change their mind due to their health, would I be penalize with the total deposit amount that's scheduled for March or will it not matter? I would just of course pay a higher fare since I was in a triple occupancy (cheaper) and got switched to a double occupancy.

I just want to present this senior with the proper information of the amount they could lose if they cancel before our payment date in March. Of course their deposit of $250 I would refund personally, as their initial deposit would just go towards the fare for me.

I think to sum up the previous post ... do a mock booking and see how much it costs for 2 people vs what you paid when you booked. If the price has gone up higher than what you booked at, you probably do not want to cancel the 3rd pax and refare the other 2.

No one can tell you right now but there is a good chance it is cheaper to have a no show, and if 3rd pax no shows, their fees and taxes are auto refunded. It's not a simple question. 

• Like 1

I was asking here because I was bit confused by the TA. Their responses to this exact question was.

"The refundable deposit fares category D5 is $7274.99 with $700 OBC, per cabin. Final payment due date on 13MAR2025."

Then I asked for clarification and this was their follow up.

"Yes, that is correct. refundable deposit is $7,274.00 with $700 OBC.

The deposit of $250 pp will stay on the booking, and it goes towards the balance after the changes have been made to double occupancy. Technically the deposit is not lost."

Their constant repeat of $7,274 was not making sense, as I was inquiring about cancelling prior to the March date. As from today up until Feb 28 I only have to pay $750.

Price per person is cheaper with 3 people in a room vs. 2 is what I meant by it being cheaper. It's about $500 cheaper per person when booking 3 people to a room vs. 2 people.

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

First of all just to clarify, the initial deposit of $250 is what is paid to secure the booking. It is the final payment for the cruise fare total in full that is due March 2025.  I say that as whether there are 2 or 3 going, the full payment for those cruising is due then.  There are no refunds after final payment for those who end up not going.  So you should know by then who is going for sure so as not to risk losing money by paying for someone who may end up being a no show. 

If you booked with a refundable deposit, you can drop the third person from the booking prior to the March final payment with no penalty and a full refund of the original deposit amount paid - $250. If you booked with a non-refundable deposit, you may lose that third person's deposit amount by canceling the third person prior to final payment.  (They may just charge a $100 fee as a change fee and refund the balance).

A triple occupancy stateroom is not cheaper than a double occupancy stateroom. The staterooms are priced at a double occupancy fare per person for the first two passengers, and then a separate (usually lower) fare added to that for the third person.  Dropping that third person would just have it repriced at the double occupancy fare for the remaining two.  The third person's deposit would either be refunded or kept by the cruise line based on its type as mentioned, but not credited towards the remaining two passenger's fares.

I would suggest contacting whomever you booked through and discuss this with them to confirm your options and potential initial deposit risks.

It would be rare that they just dropped the third.  As this is a triple occupancy room most likely they would be forced to move to a double occupancy room at possibly much higher rates 

2 hours ago, xps15z said:

Cancelling the third prior to final will most likely have you moved to a double occupancy room with the deposit being applied to the first 2 guests fare whether or not ot was a refundable or non refundable deposit.

There are 3 options

1. Just before final, check the rate of a double occupancy room and if less or reasonable just switch to that and drop the third, their deposit will be applied to your fare.

2. If the cost of the double occupancy room is higher than what you are paying for the triple just have them be a no show and get the taxes and fees refunded.

3. There are different riles for cancelling a third guest.  Up until 30 days prior to sailing (the 100% penalty phase) you can cancel a third guest for a full refund.  This would work if there are no more double occupancy cabins in your category for them to move you to, you could cancel and get the refund for the third guest and keep the room.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It would be rare that they just dropped the third.  As this is a triple occupancy room most likely they would be forced to move to a double occupancy room at possibly much higher rates 

I should have been more clear when I said it would be repriced at the double occupancy rate to include your comments regarding changing staterooms.

In reading some of their subsequent comments it also sounds as though the OP is confused in thinking that the cruise fare is what would be refundable. It is not. It is just the resulting fare from booking with a refundable $250 deposit. The TA apparently was unclear in their explanation, which likely is leading to the OP's confusion as they refer to that fare amount as the refundable deposit. 

The $7,274 is the fare resulting from a refundable deposit, not the amount of refundable deposit. That amount is $250.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1