A couple of days short on Insurance.

Posted (edited)

We have said a couple of times that our Iast cruise would be our last one due to my difficulties, then we see something and off we go again.🤣

We have seen one that we think we can manage. but see that our Annual Insurance runs out on day 9 of an 11 dayer.  Of course we will ring our Insurer(SS) but wondered what others have done, ie will we have to re-insure for the whole 11 days, or just two or have some gone somewhere and Insured for just two days.    Just wondered,

Edited by indiana123

• indiana123 changed the title to A couple of days short on Insurance.
4 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Check the wording but usually annual policies cover trips started during the life of the policy - so you’d be fine.

Does that mean that if you started a world cruise, lasting say 100 days, one day before your annual insurance was due to expire then you'd be covered? That seems to offer a lot of scope for gaming the system.

We also have an Annual policy with SS and we will be one day short on our cover. Have recently realised that our 35 night cruise won’t be covered as they allow a maximum of 35 DAYS. i.e. 34 nights for our age group. Their solution was for us to purchase a single trip policy to cover that particular cruise. Given that we paid well over 4 figures for the annual policy it’s not encouraging that we now have a further cost. Having in the past used Nationwide (they won’t cover us now due to medical issues) who allowed you to pay a small supplement to increase the length of the trip, it never occurred to me to check it with SS. Lesson learned. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I had a similar issue. We were looking to book a fairly long cruise next year and my annual policy runs out a couple of days before the end of the cruise ( not a problem for my wife as she has a rolling policy.) I rang my insurers and they were quite happy that I would be covered for cancellation before sailing and said I just needed to take a new policy out next year when mine runs out. I wasn’t too enthusiastic as they couldn’t give me a quote for that policy. The other alternative was to take out a single trip for next year’s trip- but single trips are almost as expensive as annual cover. I asked if I could cancel my current policy (10 months to run) and take out a new annual. ‘ Yes’ but the cancellation fee was ~> 50% of the premium. Result; didn’t  book next years cruise. 

Edited by Ranchi

30 minutes ago, sandancer said:

We also have an Annual policy with SS and we will be one day short on our cover. Have recently realised that our 35 night cruise won’t be covered as they allow a maximum of 35 DAYS. i.e. 34 nights for our age group. Their solution was for us to purchase a single trip policy to cover that particular cruise. Given that we paid well over 4 figures for the annual policy it’s not encouraging that we now have a further cost. Having in the past used Nationwide (they won’t cover us now due to medical issues) who allowed you to pay a small supplement to increase the length of the trip, it never occurred to me to check it with SS. Lesson learned. 

Not wanting to hiack this thread, I note your comment re Nationwide. My add ons expire next week so I will have to renew with their new partner, Aviva. My wife and I hve medical issues which haven't changed and accepted last year by UK Insurance. Have Aviva moved the goal posts ?

10 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Not wanting to hiack this thread, I note your comment re Nationwide. My add ons expire next week so I will have to renew with their new partner, Aviva. My wife and I hve medical issues which haven't changed and accepted last year by UK Insurance. Have Aviva moved the goal posts ?

My husband has medical issues and I did a new quote with Aviva (we are currently with UK Insurance through Nationwide).  Had a nice email back from Aviva.  No age restriction and the addons were actually slightly less!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sandancer said:

Maybe you could check with other insurers to see what they would charge for the extra day(s), you might find one cheaper than SS.

8 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

Nationwide sent us a document a few months ago outlining the changes to the policy. I can't find it atm, but I do remember that you are no longer insured to curtail your holiday if your pet is ill. 

2 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Nationwide sent us a document a few months ago outlining the changes to the policy. I can't find it atm, but I do remember that you are no longer insured to curtail your holiday if your pet is ill. 

Thank you, but I have no pets.

20 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

I've just completed my "pre existing illness" upgrade for my Nationwide travel insurance through Aviva, and it was much cheaper than the previous insurer they used! 

• Like 3

Interesting thread, I'm getting......no, I am old and at present only have controlled hypertension so always like reading these threads for great information. My take on UK Insurance, I am insured through my bank for travel insurance amongst other things, but they have dropped UK Insurance, wonder if it's for the reasons you state

2 hours ago, ovccruiser said:

Interesting thread, I'm getting......no, I am old and at present only have controlled hypertension so always like reading these threads for great information. My take on UK Insurance, I am insured through my bank for travel insurance amongst other things, but they have dropped UK Insurance, wonder if it's for the reasons you state

No, UK insurance are withdrawing from the market.  

• Thanks 1

Not sorted out yet but we have had a good laugh

I   'requested'  OH  to ring a well known Insurer to get a quote, just single trip.  He came back a bit sheepish.. they had asked him where he is travelling to and he said he didn't  know.  They said no-one would insure him if  he didn't know where he was going!.😀

It wasn't  his fault the cruise is a mystery one.  I'll enquire of the cruise line in the morning as to what is usually said to Insurer.  I suspect just 'Europe'

• Haha 1

But sadly due to my  disabilities this could be our last cruise.  I know he found the last one a bit difficult, having to check on me all the time, dealing with putting scooter up and down etc

It may be an option if  we could perhaps have a car door to door instead of driving and staying somewhere overnight.        Then  perhaps more cruises....😃

c, 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, indiana123 said:

But sadly due to my  disabilities this could be our last cruise.  I know he found the last one a bit difficult, having to check on me all the time, dealing with putting scooter up and down etc

It may be an option if  we could perhaps have a car door to door instead of driving and staying somewhere overnight.        Then  perhaps more cruises....😃

c, 

Unfortunately the cost of single trip insurance may well be as much as a year, certainly just doing quotations a couple of weeks back for my friends there was only £100 difference - that was with SS.  Have you asked SS for a renewal quote so you can compare?  They have an anniversary sale at present, we managed 20% reduction on top of haggling but not sure if that was just new customers.

Also don't forget the insurance will cover you for UK breaks of 2 nights or more which is always useful as we get older and less mobile/healthy!

Edited by Megabear2

Could you not renew the annual

policy but then cancel when you are home? And obviously not needed to claim on it

does it not have the 14 day DSR like other things?

sneaky I know but for one or two days it’s doubtful you would need it in that time but obviously have to have it for peace of mind. 

On 8/1/2024 at 12:16 PM, terrierjohn said:

Maybe you could check with other insurers to see what they would charge for the extra day(s), you might find one cheaper than SS.

Today I started checking with other insurers and have been quoted £4800 if worldwide is included. Our cruise is 35 nights and SS only cover 35 days. That means from midnight on the last night until we arrive in Southampton we will be uninsured. My head is telling me to be sensible but it’s such a short time. I am wondering if it’s possible to take out a policy that would just cover for a few days. Any suggestions?

13 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Sounds like Saga calling , also they include insurance (with some exceptions)