New York Departures and Drink Package

Does anyone know why the drink package doesn’t start until Day 2 when departing New York, Texas and Virginia? It’s listed under cheers package when you scroll down. This is new as we have departed New York many times and never heard of this. We have usually just state taxes while in port 

Because NY (and TX) have state laws regarding purchase/distribution of alcohol by retailers (i.e. Carnival) that require the bottles used while in port to have the state tax stamp/duty paid.  To limit the cost, Carnival uses those bottles only while in that port, and switches out once underway (at some point).  

Because of that, they have a smaller selection, and have chosen to not offer it under Cheers for that first day, which is why it starts on the second day.

I think VA is essentially the same case, but I can't be sure off hand.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Because NY (and TX) have state laws regarding purchase/distribution of alcohol by retailers (i.e. Carnival) that require the bottles used while in port to have the state tax stamp/duty paid.  To limit the cost, Carnival uses those bottles only while in that port, and switches out once underway (at some point).  

Because of that, they have a smaller selection, and have chosen to not offer it under Cheers for that first day, which is why it starts on the second day.

I think VA is essentially the same case, but I can't be sure off hand.

I believe you're correct about Virginia as well. I do know Virginia is a new addition to this policy. However, this isn't something new for New York. It's been that way for as long as I can remember. 

• Like 3

I believe only Texas has the requirement to use alcohol bought in Texas. But the other states have rules regarding beverage packages (or something like that). Carnival has chosen to just start the package the next day out of those ports.

For NY it is the sales taxes and Carnival just chooses to not start or sell Cheers until next day.

I've only sailed NCL out of NY, drink package works, but we had to pay sales taxes.

Since boarding is usually not first thing in the morning, if sailing Carnival out of NY, I would actually prefer to pay per drink instead of a full day of Cheers

Just now, ngrund said:

For NY it is the sales taxes and Carnival just chooses to not start or sell Cheers until next day.

It can't be just "sales taxes", because I pay those while still in port in FL.

And yeah, Carnival could do as NCL does and just eat the difference, but they don't, for some reason...

Ah, another thread from early last year did establish this other element noted in the post I link below.  I assume NY and VA have the same "rules".  Not sure how some of the other lines get away with it.

“State law and TABC rules prohibit any practice which could reasonably be interpreted to allow or encourage overconsumption of alcohol. This includes “all you can drink” packages or other promotions which allow unlimited alcohol for a buy-in price. These standards would apply to any alcoholic beverages served or sold within Texas territory, including any waters over which Texas claims jurisdiction. Once a vessel is outside of Texas territory, the state’s laws no longer apply.”

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

It can't be just "sales taxes", because I pay those while still in port in FL.

And yeah, Carnival could do as NCL does and just eat the difference, but they don't, for some reason...

NCL doesn’t eat the difference, they charge the passengers the tax, usually pennies on the dollar, folks still complain.

#1 reason I will never sail out of these ports.  We have to fly from Denver anytime we cruise so we can avoid these ones due to that value being lost on Day 1.  Day 1 is our biggest cheers day as we get the party started!  lol

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

NCL doesn’t eat the difference, they charge the passengers the tax, usually pennies on the dollar, folks still complain.

I was referring to the cost-difference of liquor from the State Liquor Board (or whatever) vs what Carnival pays from their normal channels.  That can easily double the cost of the booze.

But my point is apparently moot - the reason seems to be that the states involved do not allow "all you can drink for a fixed price" offerings, which Cheers is "similar enough" to, whereas NCL gets away with it by saying the drinks are "free" (because included in fare). 

¯\_()_/¯

I dunno, sounds like one of those old archaic laws nobodys gotten around to changing like "you cant spit on the sidewalk while walking backwards and wearing a top hat" Who would come up with something like "The ABC Law prohibits from selling, serving, delivering or offering to patrons an unlimited number of drinks during any set period of time for a fixed price." and why would they even think its needed? lol  When im in the bar most drink prices dont fluctuate over the time im in there so in reality I am paying a fixed price (the cost of the drink) for an unlimited number of drinks (as much as Im able to drink) during any set period of time (however long Im in the bar) 🙂 I shoulda been a lawyer lol.  Why cant they just think of it like Happy Hour?

24 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I was referring to the cost-difference of liquor from the State Liquor Board (or whatever) vs what Carnival pays from their normal channels.  That can easily double the cost of the booze.

But my point is apparently moot - the reason seems to be that the states involved do not allow "all you can drink for a fixed price" offerings, which Cheers is "similar enough" to, whereas NCL gets away with it by saying the drinks are "free" (because included in fare). 

¯\_()_/¯

I’ve sailed on ncl before they had a drink package, after they had a drink package with no discounts, and the FAS, I think tax was charged.