Princess biweekly TA’s to Europe and the US

Globaler

13 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Are you sure? It’s dark and grey and wet, and the wet cold goes through to your bones. 🥶 

We have -18 F high temps in the winter (or -27 C) temps where I live. I will take Vancouver weather any time over where I live. IMO - you live in a very beautiful place. I think the water keeps your temps warmer. I will take mostly rain over mostly snow any day. 🙂 

16 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

There is also the fact that most recent cruise ships are not built for traversing the North Atlantic during the winter season.  And most passengers do not want to sail in the potentially very rough seas encountered on the route from NYC to Southampton during the winter.  I think QM2 does a Christmastime crossing/roundtrip, but she was built for those conditions and people booking that trip know what they're getting into weatherwise.

And there's really little demand for longer than 7-10 day cruises, whether across the Atlantic or Pacific.  If there were, the cruise lines would schedule many more of them.

Doesn’t have to be all year just more back and forth from April to July.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Coral said:

We have -18 F high temps in the winter (or -27 C) temps where I live. I will take Vancouver weather any time over where I live. IMO - you live in a very beautiful place. I think the water keeps your temps warmer. I will take mostly rain over mostly snow any day. 🙂 

Ok, I see your point, lol! I still long for just a glimpse of sunshine in the winter.

Remember, we only show our best in the summer for the tourists!

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, burnabyjean said:

True, but having lived most of my life in Vancouver, it's not the nicest place to visit in the winter (basically rains from October to April, with a bit of snow thrown in to make life miserable 🙂).

Hey, I went to Vancouver once in Dec and had a fabulous time. It was cold but it was a dry cold and it only rained once. The bus system worked great, too. Plus, I just liked the vibe of the city.

And I live in California so it's not like the weather is worse where I was. 😄 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

Hey, I went to Vancouver once in Dec and had a fabulous time. It was cold but it was a dry cold and it only rained once. The bus system worked great, too. Plus, I just liked the vibe of the city.

And I live in California so it's not like the weather is worse where I was. 😄 

Glad it was good for you, but believe me “dry” cold is very rare! Avoid November at all costs!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kiwimum said:

Pre Covid we did several one way cruises from San Diego to Honolulu on Celebrity.   The big issue was you checked in at San Diego and transported to Ensenada.   Honolulu disembarked in Ensenada and bused to San Diego.   Not the greatest but it worked.

In 1992 we sailed 5 days on Pacific Princess (Love Boat) in that way & with an evening departure they provided a buffet dinner at their Mission Bay hotel prior to being bused to Ensenada. We took the train to SD from our LA area hometown so no flights were required…a big bonus. 😊

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

In 1992 we sailed 5 days on Pacific Princess (Love Boat) in that way & with an evening departure they provided a buffet dinner at their Mission Bay hotel prior to being bused to Ensenada. We took the train to SD from our LA area hometown so no flights were required…a big bonus. 😊

Ah, the good old days...🙂

• Like 2

As a cruiser from the UK I would like to see a change to the ports visited on a Transatlantic cruise itinerary.

Several years ago I found one that visited a few Caribbean ports. It was lovely to have more time in the warmth of the Caribbean either before, or after the crossing. Now all itineraries seem to concentrate on European ports then straight to Florida. Or from Florida straight to European ports.

As a European this gets really boring as I have visited most of these ports many times. I assume the opposite can be said for cruisers from North America. But a few itineraries with Caribbean ports would be lovely. And as the opening poster says - more crossings through the year too!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laslomas said:

Several years ago I found one that visited a few Caribbean ports. It was lovely to have more time in the warmth of the Caribbean either before, or after the crossing

you can do a B2B to accomplish this, but it will include the Europe ports.  We have a TA booked for 2026 and are anxiously waiting for the Caribbean 2026 cruises to be released so we can (hopefully) stay in the same cabin.  

A Caribbean cruise round trip from Southampton on Princess would be wonderful.

Posted (edited)
On 8/2/2024 at 3:06 PM, mtnesterz said:

Some ship going from somewhere on the west coast to Japan or stopping there and on to Singapore, something like that. 

In Oct we are on the Coral for 32days from  Singapore to LA, stopping in  Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan, Japan, Hawaii. 9 days at sea on one leg. Have pity on my liver.

Edited by Yehootu
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 10:18 PM, Mara4166 said:

DH likes nice trousers and Hawaiian shirt for casual evenings,

Pull over Aloha shirt for casual and da button up ones for formal. No problem.

7 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

Pull over Aloha shirt for casual and da button up ones for formal. No problem.

I did ask on the Cunard board about Hawaiian shirts for casual days.  The unanimous response was that although it officially meets the guidelines, it is not really acceptable attire particularly on a TA where dress is a bit more upscale.  We do not mind being a bit different, but want to respect the spirit of the dress code.  Instead we booked a princess TA and will fly home after a b2b Caribbean cruise.

1 minute ago, Mara4166 said:

I did ask on the Cunard board about Hawaiian shirts for casual days.  The unanimous response was that although it officially meets the guidelines, it is not really acceptable attire particularly on a TA where dress is a bit more upscale.  We do not mind being a bit different, but want to respect the spirit of the dress code.  Instead we booked a princess TA and will fly home after a b2b Caribbean cruise.

My recent experience on a Cunard cruise to Alaska was that the people on the Cunard boards are a lot "stuffier" than what you'd experience onboard the ship.  But that was for Alaska, and not the "holy of holies" TA on QM2. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DCThunder said:

My recent experience on a Cunard cruise to Alaska was that the people on the Cunard boards are a lot "stuffier" than what you'd experience onboard the ship.  But that was for Alaska, and not the "holy of holies" TA on QM2. 

The Queen Elizabeth in Alaska definitely attracts a more casual crowd than the QM2 on a transatlantic crossing.  However, compared with other lines cruising in Alaska, Cunard still attracts a higher percentage of passengers who dress up for dinner. 

On 8/3/2024 at 12:00 PM, Globaler said:

I like the 14 day crossings with stops along the way! We are doing a 2 week over in April and then a 15 day July home with 3 months in between in Europe.

On 8/3/2024 at 12:20 PM, Globaler said:

Doesn’t have to be all year just more back and forth from April to July.

But these two things are antithetical.   A 14 day itinerary is NOT a "back and forth."    

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

But these two things are antithetical.   A 14 day itinerary is NOT a "back and forth."    

What I meant is regular crossings East and West. I’d rather travel to Europe by cruise line. We also like to travel to Europe or elsewhere for 3 or 4 months.

Edited by Globaler
  • Like 1