Elation

JoeMo

I just saw this on Faceplace. I cannot verify the validity of the post.

BUT: If true a good reason to arrive a day early.

Important News for Carnival Elation Guests
Carnival Elation guests: please look for an email or your text alert. Monday’s embarkation has moved to Sunday to avoid the storm.
Thank you.
John.
  • Like 3

From Carnival's website:

DEBBY

Weather Update – August 3, 2024 | 7:00 PM (ET

Our Fleet Operations Center in Miami is actively monitoring Tropical Storm Debby that is approaching Florida. The safety of our guests and crew is our priority and our ships will always maintain a safe distance from the storm. Given its forecasted track over the next several days, the following homeports and ships are currently under watch: 

JACKSONVILLE – The port is currently open but may close as the storm approaches north Florida.   

• Carnival Elation 08/01/2024 (now returning Sunday, August 08/04/2024, instead of Monday, August 05, 2024) – To stay ahead of the storm, the ship will be returning to Jacksonville earlier than scheduled. Guests will receive:
    • A one-day, pro-rated refund for cruise fare, gratuities, beverage, and WiFi purchases.
    • US$100, per stateroom, onboard credit.
    • Up to US$200, per person, for expenses associated with independent, non-refundable air costs/change fees.Submit a copy of original airline tickets and newly purchased tickets/change fee receipt with names of all persons traveling to guestcare@carnival.com). Air changes for Carnival’s FLY2FUN will be communicated directly to impacted guests. 

• Carnival Elation 08/05/2024 (now departing Sunday, August 08/04/2024)
    • Guests who sail will receive a complimentary cruise day and an extension of pre-purchased beverage, and WiFi packages. We will also cover the extra day’s gratuities.    
    • Up to US$200, per person, for expenses associated with independent, non-refundable air costs/change fees.Submit a copy of original airline tickets and newly purchased tickets/change fee receipt with names of all persons traveling to guestcare@carnival.com. Air changes for Carnival’s FLY2FUN will be communicated directly to impacted guests. 
    • For embarkation Sunday, August 4, 2024, guests should arrive for check-in 5 hours later than their pre-selected terminal arrival appointments (for example 10:00 AM – 10:30 AM appointments will be become 3:00 PM to 3:30 PM). All guests must be at the cruise terminal for check-in no later than 6:30 PM. 
    • To stay up to date, please sign up for text alerts by texting CCL3 to CRUISE (278473).

PORT OF TAMPA – The port is currently open but is expected to close as the storm approaches Florida’s west coast.  

• Carnival Paradise 08/01/2024 – The ship is currently sailing on its current itinerary. We will continue to monitor the storm’s path and provide timely updates as more information becomes available.   

• Carnival Paradise 08/05/2024 – To stay up to date, please sign up for text alerts by texting CCL4 to CRUISE (278473).

We will post another update by 3:00 PM (ET), Sunday, August 4, 2024.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mz-s said:

What time do you typically arrive to the port of embarkation if you arrive the day before your cruise?

Our "Cruise Family" drives around 10 hours to the port (Galveston, NO, Mobile). If day before, arrive before suppertime. We prefer to arrive 2-3 nights before the cruise, but at least spend one night close to the port. 

12 hours ago, JoeMo said:

Our "Cruise Family" drives around 10 hours to the port (Galveston, NO, Mobile). If day before, arrive before suppertime. We prefer to arrive 2-3 nights before the cruise, but at least spend one night close to the port. 

Before supper time wouldn’t be good enough in this case, sadly. You’d need to arrive before lunch if you wanted to make the cruise. 

Certainly a reasonable plan to keep the ship out of harm's way. While I have not seen the actual letter to guests, I'm told that there is a 100% refund cancellation provision if you simply can't rearrange your schedule to make it to the port on time in addition to the compensation being offered if you can. Seems fair to me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

Before supper time wouldn’t be good enough in this case, sadly. You’d need to arrive before lunch if you wanted to make the cruise. 

Final check-in time was 6:30 PM in this case, as guests were told to add shift their arrival appointment by five hours (i.e. 10:00 AM became 3:00 PM).

At least the airport in Jacksonville isn't super far from the cruise port.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dlphn501 said:

This is one of those times that I am lucky to be within driving distance to all Florida ports.

So the reality is that Elation is mostly a 'locals' ship. I wouldn't guess that too many fly for cruises aboard her. So hopefully the impact has been modest. But there's still that passenger who simply had to work tonight, for example, and wasn't in a position to depart before tomorrow. Of course Carnival happily refunded their money.  It'll be interesting to hear how many cancellations there were.

I know nothing of the Jacksonville cruise terminal. With that potential storm surge would sitting at the pier have even been an option?  

12 hours ago, jsglow said:

So the reality is that Elation is mostly a 'locals' ship. I wouldn't guess that too many fly for cruises aboard her. So hopefully the impact has been modest. But there's still that passenger who simply had to work tonight, for example, and wasn't in a position to depart before tomorrow. Of course Carnival happily refunded their money.  It'll be interesting to hear how many cancellations there were.

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

I know nothing of the Jacksonville cruise terminal. With that potential storm surge would sitting at the pier have even been an option?  

Yes, Jacksonville is predominantly a drive-to port, my biggest concern if I was on the current cruise would be flooding at the port and returning to a waterlogged car like what happened in Charleston awhile back. The port is ~10 miles or so inland I believe so no idea how bad the storm surge would be but the river flooding just from the rain is a real concern.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nc762shooter said:

Yes, Jacksonville is predominantly a drive-to port, my biggest concern if I was on the current cruise would be flooding at the port and returning to a waterlogged car like what happened in Charleston awhile back. The port is ~10 miles or so inland I believe so no idea how bad the storm surge would be but the river flooding just from the rain is a real concern.

If I were in that situation I'd park at the airport and hail a rideshare over to the port. There's not much protection from the wind or water in the cruise terminal's parking lot.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2024 at 6:11 PM, mz-s said:

What time do you typically arrive to the port of embarkation if you arrive the day before your cruise?

"Typical" would not include a hurricane in the area. 

On 8/5/2024 at 12:16 PM, JoeMo said:

"Typical" would not include a hurricane in the area. 

Yeah, seems pretty reasonable to think at least some might adjust their schedule just slightly!   

I wonder if anyone has heard how many didn't make it.