“Production” numbers in Princess Theatre gone downhill

remydiva

4 hours ago, MyriamS said:

We just got the entertainment schedule for our cruise and the following are labeled as Production Shows: 

Born to Dance

Fiera 

Bravo

Sweet Soul Music 

Last night is a Farewell Variety Show.

Any of the above you would recommend? We like shows with a story better than those that are just one song after the other, but except for Sweet Soul Music (which is a clear Motown tribute), I don't really know what to expect from those shows.

We have Sweet Soul Music on the Emerald tomorrow night. I don't currently have a review since I've never seen it, but there's a decent chance I'll catch it while I'm here.

2 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

We had a singing waiter on Sapphire from Peru who also sang in the variety show on the last day too. I mentioned him in the survey, but his name escapes me. 

Wonder if the same he was from SA. 

On 8/5/2024 at 1:47 PM, rj59 said:

I find Princess to be middling, with basic song and dance, not at all daring. At one time they promoted a partnership with Stephen Schwarz, with some more unique shows--I remember a dragon puppet in one of them, and one based around magic. They're better than HAL, which got rid of all of their shows to cut costs, and now have interpretive dance shows (although they're slowly bringing back some production shows on some cruises). NCL does Broadway and more lively production shows, although they've also been cutting back the Broadway ones to cut costs. Celebrity really put them all to shame, with a mix of singing, dancing, aerialists and acrobats, and elaborate stage design and lighting and screens, and on Edge-class ships they have two separate production casts and three performance venues, so there's a unique show every night. Sun/Star are trying to get more modern, with aerialists and water shows, but not having them ready at launch didn't help. Apart from stale shows, I also really dislike the seating design of the older Princess ships, where the bottom section is just very long, narrow rows, so everyone has to constantly stand up for people to get by.  

Good comments and I agree on your summary.  I forgot about Holland.  We had a land trip to Canada in 2022 that included a Holland cruise to Alaska…had not been on Holland in decades.  I kept thinking each show might be different after the first contemparary dance, and then they weren’t…we did not return.  Terrible.  My absolute favorite on Princess was Bravo.  I love opera and the guest operatic singer was always incredible.  Recently been cruising Celebrity and their cast shows have been amazing and they have had great men and women guest performers including some on piano and cello!  Reminded me of entertainment Princess used to do.  

Last Princess in Med 2023 was not impressed.  Too much giant screen/wall, lip syncing, etc.  

Will be on Sun for 16 day TA in September taking ship back to FLL.  Suspect they will not have anything new unless they are gearing up new shows for Caribbean season.  But curious to see the new venues. From reviews I have read on CC, seems mixed at best - typical start up pains.

Here’s one thing that I’ll always miss was the revolving stage on the Island Princess that was removed in Dry Dock as Princess added more staterooms in that area where the stage was & I feel that it was a big mistake. 

Jenisa Baclayon, a production singer from the Philippines, whom I’ve met, is one of the best Princess singers that I have ever heard. 

image.thumb.jpeg.fa149cc5a6b1d58fe25c39f49bb16442.jpeg

Tom😀

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I am currently on the Caribbean Princess out of Southampton, in Greenland right now.  Last night our production show was Broadway Ballroom.  I think this could be new.  It was not Dancing With The Stars kind of balllroom dancing. It is nice to have something new once in a while,  It was just OK IMO, YMMV.

Edited by hpeabody

On 8/4/2024 at 11:55 AM, remydiva said:

Is it just me or has Princess seriously cut back on the type, variety and overall quality of the nightly shows in Princess theatre post covid?

After 21 cruises, I’ve seen a few. I recall the shows being darn near off Broadway style with elaborate moving sets and shows that sometimes rivalled NYC.

Now they are all just the Princess singers, dancers and house band doing covers of popular songs then and now.

Or ‘tributes’

Or like last nite on board the Ruby, a singer with some back up creds doing a Prince tribute for a total of 5 songs peppered with a whole lot of chatter with audience. 
‘how many folks here married .. raise your hand. Now give your sweetie a smooch. You sir.. how many years? 45?! Let’s give this man applause! And you over there .. yes you.. how many for you?! 10?! Wow give her a round of applause!’

Not my idea of how to fill a 45 min set.

No stage decor just lots of laser lights and strobes.

so .. are there any of the types of shows Princess used to have and some cruise lines still have? 

Been sailing Princess for 20 years...and have NEVER been terribly impressed with their production shows. 

RCCL & NCL Broadway shows take the cake here (tho even those r being cut).

Celebrity Eclass shows are the standard for excellent line produced shows, imo.