On line travel agents

Seems like many people are becoming part time travel agents. My question is are they safe, reputable. I would guess that once you make a deposit the cruise one would honor your booking? What does people think?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, cruisnfool said:

Seems like many people are becoming part time travel agents. My question is are they safe, reputable. I would guess that once you make a deposit the cruise one would honor your booking? What does people think?

I prefer to deal with live TA's where I have a person I can talk to over the phone to deal with my bookings. I avoid on line only agencies that can only be contacted by email or text.  Any deposit made through any TA should be backed by a receipt from both the TA and the cruise line it was placed with.  That assures the transaction and confirms that the TA's information matches that of the cruise line.  TA's should make any transaction on your behalf directly with the cruise line and should not request or require you to make it to them directly instead.  Those would be ones with whose reputation I would have a concern.

TA's are paid directly by the cruise lines for the bookings they place with them.  I also would avoid any TA that charges fees in addition to, or separate from, those charged by the cruise lines for placing, changing, or canceling a booking made through them.

In my experience most TA's are very reputable and knowledgeable.  They in essence are the sales arms of the cruise lines and typically are vetted with certain requirements by the cruise lines. As such the provide a valuable service to their clients on behalf of the cruise lines. I only outline my comments as that is what I feel comfortable with.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

We are mostly using online agency with no phone. For about 55 or more cruises now. They always respond to emails wishing 15 minutes. Make all changes we need etc. 

I would be reluctant to use someone that isn’t tied to a company.  I have never used an online agency with no phone - even though I rarely use the phone that makes me nervous about what would happen if I needed immediate help.

I have had 2 instances where I had to call my TA from the airplane while we were sitting in the runway waiting for a very late takeoff that made it unlikely that I would make the next flight.  Both times my TA had the problem solved by the time my 1st flight landed.

DON

• Like 1