Onboard Photos. Comments?

Brummel

I'd like to get a professionaly done photograh of myself in all my Gala Night finery. Would like to hear from all who have been photographed by the in-house Cunard photographers. Have you been pleased with the experience/results? Does one tip the photographer? If so, how much?

Thanks for your comments. 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Brummel said:

I'd like to get a professionaly done photograh of myself in all my Gala Night finery. Would like to hear from all who have been photographed by the in-house Cunard photographers. Have you been pleased with the experience/results? Does one tip the photographer? If so, how much?

We attempt to have at least one photograph during our sailings.

There are several different locations set up on Gala Evenings for those who would like to have a photo ex Couples, Solo and even traveling Group Members to record a memorable time.

A common location is at the Grand Staircase in the Grand Lobby. The Photographer will take about a half a dozen or so poses. You can also request poses too! You will be able to view the following day at a kiosk in the Photo Gallery opposite from the Chart Room on the QM2.

A Photographer does not expect a tip preforming theie service..

We have enjoyed looking back at the photos and remember the time it was taken.

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brummel said:

"Does one Tip the Photographers" 😂😂  Give over ! why would you need to do that, you'll already be paying enough for it.

Those portraits are not cheap  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have several on display in our hallway.Some have been professionally framed, but last time QM2 was doing the photos in a white frame which suited us.Its lovely just taking a few minutes and remembering the great times.

Get as many photos as you can whenever available. Get some on the grand staircase on gala night. THEN pick and choose what you like. The photographers on our voyages have been very good. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Brummel said:

We wanted lots of photos. We regret not having more of us from pre digital times.

Two years ago we were quoted $395 for all pro photos around ship in a week, and paid $595 for two weeks. We only actually had pics taken on seven nights and plan to make sure we get more next time.

There was a more expensive option to have higher res studio pics done, but we didn't like the trial shots and didn't bother with that.

Just remember to refuse when they suggest putting hands in pockets. It's not good for the garment!

We had a lot of photos taken during summer onboard Queen Mary 2 last year, and all turned out fantastic. We had paid to have all the photos on a digital USB stick.

The team onboard were very generous given our multi-back-to-back situation and made sure our photos were kept across the cruises, all available for purchase at the very end.

• Thanks 1

Just remember to refuse when they suggest putting hands in pockets. It's not good for the garment!

With the exception of the breast pocket (only so it can hold a pocket square), us dandies keep our jacket pockets sewn shut for precisely that reason.

Not practical? Exactly. For the true dandy, pockets are entirely decorative as we have no desire to be practical. 😁

• Like 1

All pockets and button holes should be fully functional, even if generally unused!  Surgeon’s cuffs on a suit coat, for example!  Shouldn’t lapel buttonholes have a hidden button on the opposite lapel?  🙂

15 minutes ago, vieux_carre said:

All pockets and button holes should be fully functional, even if generally unused!  Surgeon’s cuffs on a suit coat, for example!  Shouldn’t lapel buttonholes have a hidden button on the opposite lapel?  🙂

The pockets on any jacket I buy remain discreetly tacked up, as they do on any jackets my husband wears, made to measure or off the peg.

It keeps the line of the garment perfect as long as possible.

I try and avoid them but any unavoidable pockets in seams of my trousers automatically get sewn up too. Hips are big enough as it is and I certainly don't want 'bulging' pockets adding to the misery! 😀

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, vieux_carre said:

Not so. For instance, the last button on a man'stwo or three button single-breasted jacket is always left undone as is a wainscoat's (King Eward VII's swelling belly started this tradition). 

Functional surgeon's cuffs used to be a sign of bespoke jackets but because of modern machinery they are now found on many cheap ready-to-wear suits (Suit Supply) so have lost their cachet. Dummy buttonholes are now often found on high-end tailoring. Buttons are there as decorations and to keep men from wiping their noses on their sleeves. 😁

For those interested, I will be lecturing on the history of men's clothing in the ConneXions area sometime during the August 23rd crossing. Come by and find out why they're called a "pair of pants" when they're one garment. 🤔

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

The pockets on any jacket I buy remain discreetly tacked up, as they do on any jackets my husband wears, made to measure or off the peg.

It keeps the line of the garment perfect as long as possible.

I try and avoid them but any unavoidable pockets in seams of my trousers automatically get sewn up too. Hips are big enough as it is and I certainly don't want 'bulging' pockets adding to the misery! 😀

I don’t usually put things in my pockets, because I have a handbag, but it would be beyond me to favour looks over practicality. Why does it matter?

"Why does it matter?

Do you ask, why does art matter?

Fine clothing is art you hang on yourself. It is a joy to the eye and a tonic for the soul.

If we were to be practical, we'd all be wearing sweatpants and tee-shirts.

And cruising on Norwegian. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I don’t usually put things in my pockets, because I have a handbag, but it would be beyond me to favour looks over practicality. Why does it matter?

It does to me. 🙂

My jackets are expensive and can and do  last decades [with adjustments for shoulder fashion] so I don't want to ruin them with saggy pockets.

59 minutes ago, Brummel said:

Not so. For instance, the last button on a man'stwo or three button single-breasted jacket is always left undone as is a wainscoat's (King Eward VII's swelling belly started this tradition). 

Functional surgeon's cuffs used to be a sign of bespoke jackets but because of modern machinery they are now found on many cheap ready-to-wear suits (Suit Supply) so have lost their cachet. Dummy buttonholes are now often found on high-end tailoring. Buttons are there as decorations and to keep men from wiping their noses on their sleeves. 😁

For those interested, I will be lecturing on the history of men's clothing in the ConneXions area sometime during the August 23rd crossing. Come by and find out why they're called a "pair of pants" when they're one garment🤔

Pantaloons to that!😁

20 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

It does to me. 🙂

My jackets are expensive and can and do  last decades [with adjustments for shoulder fashion] so I don't want to ruin them with saggy pockets.

Well, I suppose that is practicality in a different way. I never buy expensive clothes, or, really, these days, clothes at all, if I can avoid it. 😀

2 hours ago, david63 said:

If we, as in the male species, have to have all of our pockets sewn up then where do we put all the accoutrements that SWMBO insists that we carry😇

In a doggie bag, whose main purpose is to carry photography equipment and my wife's dance shoes. 

c1378287.jpg?optimize=medium&fit=bounds&

1 hour ago, D&N said:

In a doggie bag

Is it a requirement to have said bag in multiple colours to co-ordinate with one's evening attire? (asking for a friend)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, david63 said:

Is it a requirement to have said bag in multiple colours to co-ordinate with one's evening attire? (asking for a friend)

I should just stick to pockets. Nobody is going to notice if they sag slightly really, are they? Why would they care?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I should just stick to pockets. Nobody is going to notice if they sag slightly really, are they? Why would they care?

When it was my step-daughter's wedding blessing we were in charge of six month old granddaughter. So there is me on all of the photos with stuffed toy in one pocket and baby bottle in the other - and wouldn't have had it any other way. Said granddaughter is now an officer in the New Zealand Navy.

• Like 3