When does the summer season really get busy

dbrown84

When does the summer season really get busy, especially with the kids?  I have an offer that I need to book by the end of next June.  I would like to book it as late as possible, but would prefer to avoid a ship full of kids, so I'm looking at May sailings.  The options are May 10th and 24th.  For those that have sailed in May, do the kids start showing up in full force by the 24th?  That is memorial weekend.  Thanks 

1 minute ago, dbrown84 said:

When does the summer season really get busy, especially with the kids?  I have an offer that I need to book by the end of next June.  I would like to book it as late as possible, but would prefer to avoid a ship full of kids, so I'm looking at May sailings.  The options are May 10th and 24th.  For those that have sailed in May, do the kids start showing up in full force by the 24th?  That is memorial weekend.  Thanks 

In my area, schools aren't really out by then

Posted (edited)

@dbrown84

Depends where in the World you are departing from !  and the duration and itinerary.

Always best to avoid regional school holidays and circular cruises. 

Longer point to point and repositioning cruises in shoulder season are always quietest and best value.

Edited by notley-cruise

10 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

You would be correct in your assumption when it comes to k-12 kids.

Colleges let out the beginning of May.

Now the start of school where we live is the 2nd week of August.  All kids are back usually by Labor day.

1 hour ago, notley-cruise said:

@dbrown84

Depends where in the World you are departing from !  and the duration and itinerary.

Always best to avoid regional school holidays and circular cruises. 

Longer point to point and repositioning cruises in shoulder season are always quietest and best value.

Sorry.  7 day sailing from Miami 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

May 10 would be better for fewer kids. Many K-12 schools in the South get out by the third week of May. Colleges usually end in early May, so there will likely be some college students even on May 10. 

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JT1962 said:

May 10 would be better for fewer kids. Many K-12 schools in the South get out by the third week of May.

thanks.  yeah, I'm feeling like that would be the better date

So in the US school ends at different times in different states, it can be anytime between early May in some states, down to late June. By July every single kid in America is out of school. They start going back in early August, with the last back to schools just after labor day. 

If you really want to play it safe, look at late April early May. Most spring breaks should be done by then, and most kids will be in school still.  (Thought Easter is April 20 next year, so some schools might have breaks around that time).

That said, I sailed in the Carib this summer, there was a ton of kids, and it didn't really bother me. 

In Central FL my high school kids are out May 29th 2025, that is the last day of school. My other child is in college in central FL and he is out April 29th, 2025 ( last day of final exams).

• 2 weeks later...

I sailed out of NYC on the Meraviglia over Memorial Day weekend 2024. So not the exact same itinerary, but close enough. There were some kids, but the ship wasn't overrun with kids. I also sailed Spring Break 2024, but with NCL; that ship was crazy busy with kids!

I'm not sure if it was the different ship's layouts, or the kids, but I never felt overwhelmed by kids on the Meraviglia. I did on the NCL Getaway!

I think the NYC Meraviglia sailing probably has more families from the Northeast, and schools here don't wrap up until June, so it doesn't make sense for families to do a weeklong trip so close to summer vacation. Spring break is all over the place, and if it was a Florida sailing, it could have attracted families from all over.