More mechanical issues for Carnival Vista

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Gee, I was not aware it was faulty for five years.  🤔

From wikipedia (so it must be true!):

On June 21, 2019, it was announced by Carnival Cruise Line that three scheduled cruises would be cancelled due to performance issues with the ship's propulsion system.

In May 2022, Carnival Vista began to experience propulsion issues which affected its maximum speed, similar to the incident in June 2019. Because of this some itineraries were altered while underway. No official announcement has been made by Carnival Cruise Line as of May 19, 2022. The company's brand ambassador John Heald made a statement that technicians would meet the ship in Galveston to fix the propulsion system.[26] As of June 2022, no further problems have been reported.

And then the recent issues.

So, yeah, a five year span of various times the ship has demonstrated propulsion issues that caused changes to or cancellations of itineraries.  Some folks would say that means the root cause of the problem was never really solved, just "fixed enough for now".

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

On June 21, 2019, it was announced by Carnival Cruise Line that three scheduled cruises would be cancelled due to performance issues with the ship's propulsion system.

In May 2022, Carnival Vista began to experience propulsion issues which affected its maximum speed, similar to the incident in June 2019. Because of this some itineraries were altered while underway. No official announcement has been made by Carnival Cruise Line as of May 19, 2022. The company's brand ambassador John Heald made a statement that technicians would meet the ship in Galveston to fix the propulsion system.[26] As of June 2022, no further problems have been reported.

So, yeah, a five year span of various times the ship has demonstrated propulsion issues that caused changes to or cancellations of itineraries.  Some folks would say that means the root cause of the problem was never really solved, just "fixed enough for now".

The ship has had issues, of that there is no doubt;  My point in my post was that it has not been broken for 5 years.

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Some people think they know than the manufacture company also.  Those people are called….posters on CC.  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Gee, I was not aware it was faulty for five years.  🤔

Its actually been longer than that. Pretty much since its launch. You can google the yearly issues. I was trying not to be dramatic. 🤣🤣 I just feel out of respect for paying guests its time to completely handle the situation. Like stated above, it affects reputation. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, missholly24 said:

Its actually been longer than that. Pretty much since its launch. You can google the yearly issues. I was trying not to be dramatic. 🤣🤣 I just feel out of respect for paying guests its time to completely handle the situation. Like stated above, it affects reputation. 

Do not have a dog in this fight.  My point is they DID address it.  The follow the lead of the engine manufacturer.  They dry docked the ship to have it addressed.  If it bothers you then do not book the ship or the class or Carnival.  Here is another view.  I LOVE the Vista class, sailed all of them ( even the evil Vista a couple of times).  I have 3 booked and will continue to sail this class intil they stop sailing.  For the record, it has absolutely nothing to do with Azipods.  

It is easy to cherry pick reoccurring ship issues after the fact, much harder when it is live.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

The ship has had issues, of that there is no doubt;  My point in my post was that it has not been broken for 5 years.

I "bought" a Ford LTD station wagon from my parents. It had a coolant system issue from day one even while they owned it (they purchased it used), and no matter what the various mechanics did, it never got resolved - if you ran the car too hot (like a few MPH over the speed limit on the highway with the AC on), the coolant would somehow not flow and the engine would start to overheat.  It got patched and temporarily fixed multiple times, with coolant flushes and all kinds of parts swap outs, so that it would run OK for a while, even fooling you into thinking the problem was truly fixed, then it would decide that it was going to misbehave, often with dramatic results, like blowing a cooling line.  So it was "broken" the whole time, but if you babied it it would behave for stretches, then blow up again "out of the blue".

Perhaps the Vista is in a similar situation: never truly fixed, just patched up enough to limp along until the next dramatic failure.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
fix a word
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

For the record, it has absolutely nothing to do with Azipods

If its nothing to do with the Azipods then why have all 3 ships had to go to dry dock in the past for propulsion repairs?

4 minutes ago, 787cruiser said:

If its nothing to do with the Azipods then why have all 3 ships had to go to dry dock in the past for propulsion repairs?

my reasoning has nothing to do with azipods

Edited by jimbo5544

8 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I "bought" a Ford LTD station wagon from my parents. It had a coolant line issue from day one even while they owned it (they purchased it used), and no matter what the various mechanics did, it never got resolved - if you ran the car too hot (like a few MPH over the speed limit on the highway with the AC on), the coolant would somehow not flow and the engine would start to overheat.  It got patched and temporarily fixed multiple times, with coolant flushes and all kinds of parts swap outs, so that it would run OK for a while, even fooling you into thinking the problem was truly fixed, then it would decide that it was going to misbehave, often with dramatic results, like blowing a cooling line.  So it was "broken" the whole time, but if you babied it it would behave for stretches, then blow up again "out of the blue".

Perhaps the Vista is in a similar situation: never truly fixed, just patched up enough to limp along until the next dramatic failure.

I had about the same problem with a ford once.  Someone in the past had installed the wrong head gasket.  

12 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I "bought" a Ford LTD station wagon from my parents. It had a coolant line issue from day one even while they owned it (they purchased it used), and no matter what the various mechanics did, it never got resolved - if you ran the car too hot (like a few MPH over the speed limit on the highway with the AC on), the coolant would somehow not flow and the engine would start to overheat.  It got patched and temporarily fixed multiple times, with coolant flushes and all kinds of parts swap outs, so that it would run OK for a while, even fooling you into thinking the problem was truly fixed, then it would decide that it was going to misbehave, often with dramatic results, like blowing a cooling line.  So it was "broken" the whole time, but if you babied it it would behave for stretches, then blow up again "out of the blue".

I am not an engineer, perhaps our local expert can opine.  I cannot even say the repetitive problems are linked or not (other than they are propulsion related).  Do they want the ship in service?  absolutely. Do they want to do that at the expense of the longevity of the repair (band aid it)?  Not a chance.

I have been on a Carnival ship that had significant propulsion problems (Azipod related).  The information we got while on the ship regarding the issue and fix, gave me distinct impressions that they (Carnival) relied heavily on the engine manufacturer for advice and counsel.

Would I sail the Vista after this?  In a New York minute.   

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I was going to go comical on the LTD comment but chose not to....🙃

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Do not have a dog in this fight.  My point is they DID address it.  The follow the lead of the engine manufacturer.  They dry docked the ship to have it addressed.  If it bothers you then do not book the ship or the class or Carnival.  Here is another view.  I LOVE the Vista class, sailed all of them ( even the evil Vista a couple of times).  I have 3 booked and will continue to sail this class intil they stop sailing.  For the record, it has absolutely nothing to do with Azipods.  

It is easy to cherry pick reoccurring ship issues after the fact, much harder when it is live.

To each his own on opinions! Maybe they have a lemon law for cruise ships? 🤪 Fun fact I have Vista booked for Feb 2026 b/c I love HMC and want to try Celebration Cay on same itinerary and it was extremely cheap for Havana Suite. (Based on Jamman recs). It will probably still have propulsion issues then….oh well. No such thing as a bad cheap cruise. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, fsa1155 said:

We are booked on the Vista in 2 weeks.  Does anyone know if the problem has been resolved?

Carnival has been silent on the issue, AFAIK.  No-one is complaining about issues on the current cruises, again AFAIK.  You can assume it is fixed enough for now, otherwise they'd be making announcements.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Carnival has been silent on the issue, AFAIK.  No-one is complaining about issues on the current cruises, again AFAIK.  You can assume it is fixed enough for now, otherwise they'd be making announcements.

On Vista now. Maps channel shows our speed 21.4 kts. Pretty good!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We will probably never sail Vista again - perhaps it was just the completely changed itinerary and a cruise ship full of disgruntled people that soured the entire mood. Everywhere you went, people were complaining.  That's just not us and I think unfortunately it really just brought the entire experience down.  The whole experience was off  - for us mentally because we had to scramble to change plans (trying to cancel stuff before cell service was cut off) and obviously also for the crew as they had to adjust ports and sea days vs port days (almost everything ran late according to when they were scheduled on the app).   

18 minutes ago, KaiBlue said:

We will probably never sail Vista again - perhaps it was just the completely changed itinerary and a cruise ship full of disgruntled people that soured the entire mood. Everywhere you went, people were complaining.  That's just not us and I think unfortunately it really just brought the entire experience down.  The whole experience was off  - for us mentally because we had to scramble to change plans (trying to cancel stuff before cell service was cut off) and obviously also for the crew as they had to adjust ports and sea days vs port days (almost everything ran late according to when they were scheduled on the app).   

Things happen, it is just the way that it works.  We were on a Journey cruise that the sole reason we were doing it was one port of call Greenland.  We never got there.  We ended up spending 14 days in Canada, which we could have done for less than half the price.  At the end of the day, you have decide what and how you will deal with it.

• Like 2

I was on the Behind the Fun tour this morning. In the engine control room they told us that the problem had been on the starboard side and that it appears to be fixed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have family sailing on the Vista tomorrow.Hopefully, the issue has been resolved. We sailed the Vista when she was still fairly new, no problems.Probably my favorite ship due to the Havana area. Will be on the Horizon next month. Would book the Vista and her sister ships without any hesitation!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TN Roz said:

I have family sailing on the Vista tomorrow.Hopefully, the issue has been resolved. We sailed the Vista when she was still fairly new, no problems.Probably my favorite ship due to the Havana area. Will be on the Horizon next month. Would book the Vista and her sister ships without any hesitation!

We have friends on Vista now. Other than leaving Port Canaveral after 3:00 am last Sunday, they haven't reported any issues.

• Like 3