Where to stay Anchorage?

racnwdow

Looking for a reasonably priced place to stay near the train station in Anchorage. Are there any within walking distance? If we stay close to the train is there things to do there?  Any idea of price for transportation from airport to train station area?  Thanks for any insight.

I haven’t looked at prices, but we always stay at the Sheraton. It is a little walk to the main part of downtown but it is flat and the area is pretty quiet. It’s an easy minute cab ride to the train station. 

3 hours ago, racnwdow said:

Looking for a reasonably priced place to stay near the train station in Anchorage. Are there any within walking distance? If we stay close to the train is there things to do there?  Any idea of price for transportation from airport to train station area?  Thanks for any insight.

There are lots of WEB sites that give you cab costs such as Rome2Rio.  Do a bit of Google searching to find them.

DON

There's a Four Points by Sheraton not far. Uber looks like it was $10.59, including a tip.

That puts you near the mall and a few decent places to grab a drink and/or a pizza. It was within reason on pricing, if maybe not truly reasonable...

It's not close to the rail, but we recently stayed at the Embassy Suites and it was great. Good breakfast, 2 free cocktails at the managers receptions. The ~$14 uber down to the area by the Hilton and the 3rd Ave market easily made up for the price difference in the stay. 

And while we didn't wind up staying there, the Lakefront Anchorage was great for lunch, and looked like an overall good place to stay. Though from what I remember, the price was pretty high to stay there, which is why we wound up at the Embassy (Hilton points). 

• Like 1

Hotels in Anchorage are very pricey in the summer months. We have used the Embassy Suites, Hampton, and La Quinta but they have all become so over priced. We have booked an Air BnB for our next trip in September to visit our son who lives there. It was much more reasonable. 

No such thing as a cheap accommodation in Anchorage and dumb down your expectations when you see the price.  My favorite hotel in Anchorage would be The Captain Cook and it's going to be about $400 or more per night.  You could also choose to stay at an airbnb, but make sure to ask about the Anchorage neighborhood before booking.  

• Like 1

I stayed at the Springhill Suites Midtown a couple weeks ago, and the nightly charge including taxes came to just under $500/ night.  Nice hotel and walking distance to shopping and food, but wow. Didn’t expect that $.

Thanks for the reality check on the price point.  I think you have just solidified that one night will be maximum for us in Anchorage, if even that.  We were already planning one night in Seward post-cruise in order to see Kenai Fjords.  

Take a look at the Snob Hollow Inn. It's a 5 minute downhill walk to the train station and more reasonably priced than the hotels in downtown. I have rooms booked for May of 2025.

• Thanks 1