Cruising with Depends or a reasonable fascimile

20 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Has anyone ever traveled in this manner and if so was it successful ?

6 hours ago, happy42cruise said:

Yes, for my husband.  I'm not really sure what your question is though.  I bring them with us & ask the room steward for bio-hazard bags for disposal as they need to be incinerated.

I wasn't clear about the question, either.

"Successful"... how??

Transporting bulky quantities?

Getting more if one ran out?

Otherwise, wouldn't it be much the same as if at home?

(Or if not, what am I not thinking about... should we face this situation someday...!?)

Wouldn't excursions be similar to any trip taken at home for a day?  (And yes, I suppose those might be difficult depending [NO pun intended!] upon the facilities nearby.)

In that case, wouldn't it be similar to good planning for any type of condition that might affect or restrict outings?

GC

Yes, for my husband.  I'm not really sure what your question is though.  I bring them with us & ask the room steward for bio-hazard bags for disposal as they need to be incinerated.

I have never used this type of product but I am in the position of having to do so and I have heard that some brands have a tendency to leak.

15 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have never used this type of product but I am in the position of having to do so and I have heard that some brands have a tendency to leak.

Okay, that's a good question, but not just related to cruising.

I'd suggest purchasing a variety of brands/types before leaving home, and see how each works.

This might be different for different people, for a variety of reasons.

And more generally, it would be good to know which brands *you* prefer.  When at home, you could have a few different types and make direct comparisons based upon your own usage.

Somewhere, there is an online forum about incontinence, and some of the posts there go into quite a bit of detail, with several helpful hints.  But I don't remember the name of it. 😞 

Hopefully someone reading here might remember it?  (I think it was mentioned somewhere on CC, which is probably how I learned about it.)

GC

Here's the other thread, appropriately titled Incontinence:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2849349-incontinence/page/2/#comment-66812895

Whatever you end up with, make sure you take plenty plus some.  You cannot purchase them on the ship and depending on your itinerary, you may have difficulty buying them off the ship. 

I carry my husband's in my backpack.  It's stuffed with them (just in case...).   Plus extras in my carry-on and checked luggage (in case I lose the backpack).  

There is no problem traveling at all with incontinence products as long as you are prepared with extras.   You also might take some plastic bags or small garbage bags so you will have some place to dispose of the item at the airport or in a hotel.   You can also use your own bags on the ship but they will provide you with bags if you want. 

And don't worry, your cabin attendant has seen everything so they are used to seeing bags of used diapers/guards to be thrown away. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

Here's the other thread, appropriately titled Incontinence:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2849349-incontinence/page/2/#comment-66812895

Thanks, but what I'm trying to remember isn't another thread on CruiseCritic; it's a completely different forum, focusing on issues related to incontinence and related issues.

I've tried to find it just searching using Google, but haven't succeeded.

(I remember reading some rather explicit discussions of how assorted problems were handled, and that's probably information that is rather difficult to come by ordinarily.)

On the off-chance that someone else has seen this other forum, could you post a link here?

Thanks.

ETA:  Ah, here it is!

https://www.incontinentsupport.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2110&hilit=diapers+cruise&start=10

Thanks, kokopelli-az -- you posted it in that other CC forum a couple of years ago! 🙂 

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

On 8/13/2024 at 8:54 AM, lenquixote66 said:

Ok, that's a little clearer.  Nothing is going to be 100% all the time.  I agree that you should try to get as many different samples as you can & try them.  My husband takes water pills so sometimes are worse than others.  We put a shield pad in at night for more absorption (I'm not sure it is needed but we do it).  Also sizes can vary between different brands.  Check with your medical coverage to see if it is a covered expense (the VA covers my husband's underwear type I just buy the shields).  If you change them often you won't have as many leaks as you will waiting.  Most seem to have absorbent beads(?) that swell up.  I take a large number with us in a duffel bag when we travel.  If this is more of an occasional just in case question you may just need the guard type pad you can put into your underwear.  We were buying Depends brand before the VA supplied them, they send us Tranquility brand.  Try as many as you can to see what works best for you & read reviews.  I also use waterproof pads to protect seats etc. just in case he does leak.  Hope that helps.

Ok, that's a little clearer.  Nothing is going to be 100% all the time.  I agree that you should try to get as many different samples as you can & try them.  My husband takes water pills so sometimes are worse than others.  We put a shield pad in at night for more absorption (I'm not sure it is needed but we do it).  Also sizes can vary between different brands.  Check with your medical coverage to see if it is a covered expense (the VA covers my husband's underwear type I just buy the shields).  If you change them often you won't have as many leaks as you will waiting.  Most seem to have absorbent beads(?) that swell up.  I take a large number with us in a duffel bag when we travel.  If this is more of an occasional just in case question you may just need the guard type pad you can put into your underwear.  We were buying Depends brand before the VA supplied them, they send us Tranquility brand.  Try as many as you can to see what works best for you & read reviews.  I also use waterproof pads to protect seats etc. just in case he does leak.  Hope that helps.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I don't use them, but when traveling with my mother who did, we took the number she used daily + 3 more days worth in our "medical" carry-on bag, as well as disposable Chux for in bed. Ask the room steward for a plastic bag like what is used for baby diapers. When we returned home we often donated any excess to the ship's hospital; the nurses were always happy to take them.

On 8/18/2024 at 11:29 AM, lenquixote66 said:

We bought a package of Depends yesterday.We are starting with this product.

If you belong to Costco I found them to be less expensive there. I had to order online for XL as our local store stopped stocking that size.  Shop around & look for sales if you have an ongoing need.

5 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

Also, if your health insurance has an OTC benefit, you can use this benefit to for incontinence supplies.   I use this benefit all the time and haven't paid for Depends (or similar) in a long time.

5 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

Also, if your health insurance has an OTC benefit, you can use this benefit to for incontinence supplies.   I use this benefit all the time and haven't paid for Depends (or similar) in a long time.

It would require a letter signed by a medical doctor.