Incontinence

There are women who use a PureWick at night- it's an external catheter.

I wouldn't suggest getting one for a cruise if you're not used to or accustomed to it.
I do know a few women who prefer it, instead of getting up multiple times during the night.

Something to consider. 

• Like 1

In another thread someone was concerned about bedpads shifting and thus perhaps letting some moisture get through because the padding wasn't where it was needed.

There are some terrific washable waterproof pads of many different sizes (up to complete mattress size) that don't shift.

One of them is "Gorilla Grip".  They really do stay in place, and that's big help.

https://gorillagrip.com/products/incontinence-pad

(They are also handy for an overnight colonoscopy prep, just in case.)

GC

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 6:56 PM, Kiran said:

I bring a washable bed pad as a protection for the mattress whether hotel or cruise

so their mattress / some with protective casing

My washable bed pad 

sheet

disposable bed pads

Thanks, @Kiran! I’ll be bringing my normal night diapers but then also disposable bed mats as well. Figure at least one for each night plus one extra. I don’t anticipate needing them as usually I’m fine but I’d rather be safe than sorry. Better to overprepare than get caught under prepared!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The washable reuseable pads are great and you can use them in combination with disposable pads. If you have a light leak, the disposable one can be tossed, and the reusable one put away for the next evening if unaffected. We don't put it under the sheet - if you wash them several times they're quite soft, and they don't move. Just get a larger size so you aren't worried about what will happen if you roll over. The purpose would really be just to save the mattress/bed in case of a real flood.

Pad inside disposable diaper then lying on disposable pad on top of reusable sturdy pad is great protection, and you can easily dismantle when you get up in the morning so that the room attendant simply makes the bed as usual.  Give it a try at home and see how secure it is.

We buy the scented bathroom trash bags and just tie them up tight and put them in the trash (urine only). They've always been removed with the trash with no comment. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DaisyGoldberg said:

We buy the scented bathroom trash bags and just tie them up tight and put them in the trash (urine only). They've always been removed with the trash with no comment. 

Make sure you identify to the room steward that you will be disposing of diapers in these bags.  This waste needs to be put in "red bags" (biohazard) and incinerated.

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2022 at 5:50 PM, chengkp75 said:

Make sure you identify to the room steward that you will be disposing of diapers in these bags.  This waste needs to be put in "red bags" (biohazard) and incinerated.

Yes! My adult daughter wears diapers and as soon as I meet our cabin steward (on any cruise line) I mention that we need trash bags for diapers and the red bags are brought to me, usually several days worth. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 7:31 PM, travelbound4 said:

Hey everyone, 

I was wondering if any one here has experience cruising with incontinence? Even more specifically bedwetting?

i was wondering if the mattress usually has waterproof protection? Or is there someone that I should speak with at the cruise line about that?

also, how are the trash cans in the room size wise? Does it get emptied every day?

thanks!

Hi we were recently onP&O  and took an extra case with (we were not flying) which we fill with incontinente pants and also inco sheets, if you have not come across these yet the are a sheet about 600x300 which go on top of the sheet you lay on with an absorbent layer which you lay on and a water proof layer on the other side. We just bagged them up in the morning and leave them in the bathroom and they were taken away. Are you in a accessible cabin because this does help as the except this kind of thing. We didn’t have a protective cover but did ask for a done was provided. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

• 2 months later...
On 5/17/2022 at 10:54 AM, travelbound4 said:

Thanks - I wasn’t sure if checking bags on cruises was different process or scanners than flying is. 

my worry is more if I’m traveling with others so I’d prefer to not have security go through the bag in front of them 

You are probably the perfect candidate for precheck!  Especially if your friends aren’t😂😂

of course they supposedly check less and that doesn’t help internationally.  

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2022 at 10:59 PM, lyannea said:

There are women who use a PureWick at night- it's an external catheter.

I wouldn't suggest getting one for a cruise if you're not used to or accustomed to it.
I do know a few women who prefer it, instead of getting up multiple times during the night.

Something to consider. 

DW developed incontinence after a craniotomy to resect a pituitary adenoma.  Also, she lost a lot of vision.  So getting up at night to go to the potty was just too dangerous and I had to also get up and supervise.

So, for the past year or so, we've been using the Purewick home system at nighttime only so we both can get some sleep.

But the Purewick home system, ours with an 8-hour battery backup, are quite expensive ($500) and the single use female catheters are about $16 each -- all not covered by Medicare or our secondary BCBS of Texas.

During the day, we use adult pull-up diapers and that works very well.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I tried the Pure Wick in the hospital and found it of no use if you are an active sleeper, the catheter slips out of place, even with wearing an adult diaper. Glad it works for you! Wish it worked for me. I use the Gorilla pads that stay put on the bed when you toss and turn, and hold lots with an adult diaper. Never failed me. 
Happy Cruising 

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2022 at 1:31 PM, travelbound4 said:

Hey everyone, 

I was wondering if any one here has experience cruising with incontinence? Even more specifically bedwetting?

i was wondering if the mattress usually has waterproof protection? Or is there someone that I should speak with at the cruise line about that?

also, how are the trash cans in the room size wise? Does it get emptied every day?

thanks!

Hi!  I don’t have incontinence but I do have a colostomy bag and I take long mattress protectors and I put them on top of the sheets before I go to bed. It does work. Another thing you could try and I know it’s hard for some people, but I’d wear the disposable underwear at night.

HI. My son is incontinent along with his other multiple disabilities. We always take chucks. We also take an airloss inflatable mattress topper for him whether we're cruising or not to help prevent bedsores. It goes on top of the mattress, then a sheet goes on that and a disposable chuck on top of that. If he does have a leak, it would be on our own topper, which is easily cleaned.

We did run out of briefs on the last day of one cruise and couldn't find any adult diapers at the ports. Eek. So now we take lots.

We alerted Princess to the problem, and the room steward put a protective layer on the mattress. I then put my washable (and very large) pad on the bed, over the sheet. While I have leaked onto the pad at times, nothing has ever gone below the pad.
So I use disposable diaper, pilchard, washable pad, bottom sheet, mattress protector.
I'm very grateful that you've created this thread.
I will also look into Gorilla Grip, and Pure Wick or other catheters.

Update to my original post: I can happily say everything went super smoothly. Been on 5 cruises now since that original post and haven’t had any issues. 

I just bring my normal night diapers and also disposable bed mats. I use the bed mat as a backup but haven’t had to use it. 

I found scented dog bags on Amazon that I bring and place the wet diaper in and leave it in the trash. 

I put the bed mat on the first day and then change it every few days usually. Haven’t had any issues with the room attendants. They leave the bed mat on the bed (it has adhesives to keep it in place) and make the bed up with it still on. 

I always just tip extra to my room attendant for their help and consideration. 

• Like 1

The cabin steward will supply red plastic bags for you to put the disposable diapers & pads into so they can be disposed of properly if you ask.  I didn't know this until I read it on a different thread.  We use disposable diapers & pads, & washable pads on the bed.