What could Cunard name a hypothetical fifth ship?

Clewgarnet

4 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Don't worry... I would be astonished if Carnival invests further in Cunard, HAL or Princess in the near future. If ever.  Costa seems a write-off already and I would not be surprised if one of these three follows.  Having lines of old and now irrelevent history and tradition is not compatible with cruise marketing today hence the deliberate "Cunard Lite" that QUEEN ANNE represents. And why she has no visual reference to Cunard heritage. And won't, either. Same thing now with HAL.  

So that huge three part mural in the Grand Lobby isn’t a reference to Cunard heritage? Nor the black hull and funnel, (which it must be said lots of previous Cunarders didn’t have)? And a pub called the Golden Lion with lion logo? How do they think of these things?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Having just had 2 weeks on QA I have to say that she (and the name QA) grew on me as time went on...

She is def Queen Marmite to some guests.

Love some of her, and you may likely hate some of her...

That was my take.
Would I go back on her? 
Not sure, maybe, I'll let you know!

You could say Cunard 'Lite' applies to her in some areas, but on the whole she looks like a true Cunarder from the outside, she makes a big impression in any port, smart dark grey hull and big red funnel, and the Grand Lobby 3D art mural was pretty impressive, albeit a subtle nod to the Cunard Line's past.
I think Cunard have taken a risk with QA but let's see how she beds in after a year.

As for a 5th Cunard ship, there is no rumour mill grinding away on that one AFAIK.

Seems both P&O and HAL are gunning for yet more new ships.
Aurora and maybe Arcadia could be the ones to go, as do they still fit the new P&O model?

Arcadia was to be Cunard's Queen Victoria but plans changed for it to go to P&O.
She is powered with Pods like QV.
Arcadia was ordered by Holland America Line in 2000 as their fifth Vista-class vessel.
In 2003 she was allocated to Cunard Line to become their Queen Victoria. Shortly before her launch the decision was made to transfer the ship to the P&O Cruises fleet.
As a result, Arcadia has a Cunard-style mast similar to that found on Queen Elizabeth 2 and RMS Queen Mary 2.
I wonder if a fifth Cunard liner could be a re-fitted Arcadia? 
Could be a cost effective option for Cunard to have a 5th ship....

1 hour ago, rog747 said:

Having just had 2 weeks on QA I have to say that she (and the name QA) grew on me as time went on...

She is def Queen Marmite to some guests.

Love some of her, and you may likely hate some of her...

That was my take.
Would I go back on her? 
Not sure, maybe, I'll let you know!

You could say Cunard 'Lite' applies to her in some areas, but on the whole she looks like a true Cunarder from the outside, she makes a big impression in any port, smart dark grey hull and big red funnel, and the Grand Lobby 3D art mural was pretty impressive, albeit a subtle nod to the Cunard Line's past.
I think Cunard have taken a risk with QA but let's see how she beds in after a year.

As for a 5th Cunard ship, there is no rumour mill grinding away on that one AFAIK.

Seems both P&O and HAL are gunning for yet more new ships.
Aurora and maybe Arcadia could be the ones to go, as do they still fit the new P&O model?

Arcadia was to be Cunard's Queen Victoria but plans changed for it to go to P&O.
She is powered with Pods like QV.
Arcadia was ordered by Holland America Line in 2000 as their fifth Vista-class vessel.
In 2003 she was allocated to Cunard Line to become their Queen Victoria. Shortly before her launch the decision was made to transfer the ship to the P&O Cruises fleet.
As a result, Arcadia has a Cunard-style mast similar to that found on Queen Elizabeth 2 and RMS Queen Mary 2.
I wonder if a fifth Cunard liner could be a re-fitted Arcadia? 
Could be a cost effective option for Cunard to have a 5th ship....

I've been thinking along the same lines re Arcadia.  She is due a major refit in November this year which apparently is intended to upgrade her for 5 years.  She does indeed meet the "smaller" ship category beloved by Cunard passengers.  The question would be though how much would need to be spent to make her a Cunard level ship.

Queen Anne would appear from statements prior to her launch to now be to attract new, younger UK guests.  

• Thanks 1

Hmmm…I’m thinking if Carnival Corp. were to remove Arcadia from P&O, I would hope they would transfer her to Carnival.  As a Vista/Spirit class ship, ships that size are beloved by Carnival fans.  When they finally retire the last two Fantasy class ships, they will need another that can fit into Tampa, Jacksonville and Baltimore.  EM

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

So that huge three part mural in the Grand Lobby isn’t a reference to Cunard heritage? Nor the black hull and funnel, (which it must be said lots of previous Cunarders didn’t have)? And a pub called the Golden Lion with lion logo? How do they think of these things?

Yes, those are bits of Cunard-ness on the ship. I didn't find any more. In fact, one of my first comments on the generic nature of QA was that they could sell her to any other line, just take out the large mural, re-do the pub into an ordinary bar, and paint the funnel.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Yes, those are bits of Cunard-ness on the ship. I didn't find any more. In fact, one of my first comments on the generic nature of QA was that they could sell her to any other line, just take out the large mural, re-do the pub into an ordinary bar, and paint the funnel.

By that thinking you could do the same with any of the ships. Cunard is more than just the ship itself, it's the white star service, afternoon tea ritual and the insight programme is it not? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DukeBeetle24 said:

By that thinking you could do the same with any of the ships. Cunard is more than just the ship itself, it's the white star service, afternoon tea ritual and the insight programme is it not? 

Completely agree with you. And the service was better than I've had on my two most recent voyages, with engaging speakers.

I wasn't a fan of Gregg Wallace before this trip, but he was very entertaining, both on stage and in person.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

Completely agree with you. And the service was better than I've had on my two most recent voyages, with engaging speakers.

I wasn't a fan of Gregg Wallace before this trip, but he was very entertaining, both on stage and in person.

I too thought they had an excellent range of insight speakers on our May voyage. I would also mention the Cunardish names of the rooms, which go back at least to QE2 in many cases, and the fact there is a good library, a most elegant room. And then I was depressed to remember that there is no bookshop.

• Like 2

As P&O seems to be going larger with their ships, I can see the benefit of the smaller ships being transferred to Cunard. This might also allow them to port more than one ship from Southampton and cater for different passenger tastes. It's an efficient use of the shipbuilding and hotel teams resources, and a smaller ship might offer the more premium and luxury experience Cunard offers (with the changing marketing inbound).

I do think they need to announce the 250th ship prior to this though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

I too thought they had an excellent range of insight speakers on our May voyage. I would also mention the Cunardish names of the rooms, which go back at least to QE2 in many cases, and the fact there is a good library, a most elegant room. And then I was depressed to remember that there is no bookshop.

The library is lovely, but really suffers from its position. The paddle tennis court immediately above makes it distinctly unpeaceful if there's a game going on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

The library is lovely, but really suffers from its position. The paddle tennis court immediately above makes it distinctly unpeaceful if there's a game going on.

On our cruise, perhaps fortunately, most of the passengers were far too decrepit to avail themselves of the facility, so there was no problem, but I can see it could be a major annoyance. What I liked was its proximity to the Commodore Club, so I could pick up the crossword after breakfast, then go into the CC and enjoy the view, while doing the puzzles. Of course, this wouldn’t have been necessary if I had been able to use the Grills Lounge. Once space I adored was the Skybar.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DukeBeetle24 said:

By that thinking, Carnival could shift Koningsdam to Cunard. Just change staff uniforms (their service is already excellent), improve their afternoon tea service, and add more speakers (which HAL definitely needs to do). And paint over the logo on the funnel.

I give up. QA is what Cunard wanted, nobody asked me. 

At least the next Cunarder (if there will be one any time soon) won't be Queen Koo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

By that thinking, Carnival could shift Koningsdam to Cunard. Just change staff uniforms (their service is already excellent), improve their afternoon tea service, and add more speakers (which HAL definitely needs to do). And paint over the logo on the funnel.

At least the next Cunarder (if there will be one any time soon) won't be Queen Koo.

Or have HAL still got some of the original Vistas, which people seem to prefer, to pass over?

16 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

They could, yes. But, I imagine P&O / Cunard is easier given they're under the same banner together (Carnival UK).

They've also recently announced a streamlining of the ship building process for CUK, a more agile approach with teams working in fewer silos. This could mean more ships, for either brand.

17 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Or have HAL still got some of the original Vistas, which people seem to prefer, to pass over?

Aw come on! First you want to take away the ONLY Cunard Vista sailing around North America, and now you want to swipe HAL's Vistas??? Don't steal my Zuidy! Maybe Costa has a Vista to spare? (Wasn't Concordia a Vista?)

HAL still has their four Vistas--Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam. I have sailed on three of them, and like them all, but Zuidy is my favorite. HAL also has two Signature class ships, which are pretty much stretched Vistas. They also have two of their original 8 small ships. I think they may come to regret shedding so many of those as ports get fussy about the size of ships they'll let in. (The two new Fred Olsen's are ex-HAL.)  Zaandam got into Key West this winter. Not sure a Pinnacle would be welcome. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Aw come on! First you want to take away the ONLY Cunard Vista sailing around North America, and now you want to swipe HAL's Vistas??? Don't steal my Zuidy! Maybe Costa has a Vista to spare? (Wasn't Concordia a Vista?)

HAL still has their four Vistas--Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam. I have sailed on three of them, and like them all, but Zuidy is my favorite. HAL also has two Signature class ships, which are pretty much stretched Vistas. They also have two of their original 8 small ships. I think they may come to regret shedding so many of those as ports get fussy about the size of ships they'll let in. (The two new Fred Olsen's are ex-HAL.)  Zaandam got into Key West this winter. Not sure a Pinnacle would be welcome. 

I think Concordia was a bit bigger, and she doesn’t seem to have the sticky out bits in the middle.

One question which arises, not just with Cunard, but with so many companies, is how they will manage to staff any extra ships, given the problems Cunard have apparently had with Annie.

Or.....just name the ship Queen! Have informative murals and such talking about Live Aid and bronze statues of everyone centered by Freddie Mercury in the Grand Lobby...😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, JT1101 said:

Or.....just name the ship Queen! Have informative murals and such talking about Live Aid and bronze statues of everyone centered by Freddie Mercury in the Grand Lobby...😉

Wellll... interesting idea, but I'm not sure they should play homage to Freddie with "We Will Rock You!"

• Haha 1

My last crazy idea for ship naming…Name new ships for important cities from Cunard’s past: Liverpool, Southhampton, Halifax. 
This will check the box for an important aspect for many of us - - keeping Cunard’s history in the forefront. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NE John said:

My last crazy idea for ship naming…Name new ships for important cities from Cunard’s past: Liverpool, Southhampton, Halifax. 
This will check the box for an important aspect for many of us - - keeping Cunard’s history in the forefront. 

The Ellerman Line used to call their ships City of ...  they didn't own a Southampton or Halifax but had two Liverpools.  My husband's father and grandfather worked in the London Docks for Ellerman Line and my husband remembers being taken on board City of London and City of Liverpool in 1969 and 1970.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, new to cuising said:

Given that our late Queen Elizabeth II mistakenly thought at the naming ceremony that the Cunarder QE2 was named after herself, perhaps it's time to formally name a ship after her

You think it was a mistake?