Timing of Special Offers

rjp50

We are interested in a cruise for this December that, based on the web site of currently available cabins, has a fair amount of unsold cabins.  Does Viking have a history of putting such sailings on a special promotions when the cruise is 4 months away from sailing?  The sailing before this is completely sold out but this particular sailing is over Christmas and New Years making me think that perhaps they are having issues selling this cruise because of the timeframe.  Do you think it's worth holding off for a better promo?

Just now, rjp50 said:

We are interested in a cruise for this December that, based on the web site of currently available cabins, has a fair amount of unsold cabins.  Does Viking have a history of putting such sailings on a special promotions when the cruise is 4 months away from sailing?  The sailing before this is completely sold out but this particular sailing is over Christmas and New Years making me think that perhaps they are having issues selling this cruise because of the timeframe.  Do you think it's worth holding off for a better promo?

Might depend on the specific itinerary.  What is the one you are considering?

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Might depend on the specific itinerary.  What is the one you are considering?

The new one that goes to Tunisia, Algeria, and Morocco.  I'm used to seeing Viking cruises essentially sold out this close to sailing.  I think one of the drawbacks for this particular cruise is that two of the port days are replaced with sea days due to them falling on Christmas and New Years.

9 hours ago, rjp50 said:

Do you think it's worth holding off for a better promo?

There is presently a promo for this sailing thru 8/31.  You seem to be asking if Viking might sweeten it later.

In my experience, the first real promo (which likely includes free air) for a sailing is generally the best.  Likely because the current promo will attract a number of additional passengers.  As the ship fills up, the latter offers can be less attractive.

The current offer includes reduced fares.  Saved me $8K.

I should also add that Christmas and New Year cruises  overseas doesn't seem to be a good seller for the typical Viking customer.

Just my experience.

• Like 1

Christmas/NY Cruises can be problematic.   In Europe, tourist sites and museums are mostly closed on 12/25 & 1/1 and Viking will plan sea days.

Before you book, get your hands on the revised itinerary because the 12/19 sailing is due in Malta on 12/24-25 and Malaga on 1/1.  That is why this sailing is empty. Changes have already been announced. I read it here: post #19 --

15 hours ago, MikeyB said:

There is presently a promo for this sailing thru 8/31.  You seem to be asking if Viking might sweeten it later.

In my experience, the first real promo (which likely includes free air) for a sailing is generally the best.  Likely because the current promo will attract a number of additional passengers.  As the ship fills up, the latter offers can be less attractive.

The current offer includes reduced fares.  Saved me $8K.

I should also add that Christmas and New Year cruises  overseas doesn't seem to be a good seller for the typical Viking customer.

Just my experience.

I am aware of the anniversary sale but the savings seem minimal for our desired sailing and cabin type (DV) over the holidays.  If there is another promo code that you are using, do you mind sharing it?

14 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Christmas/NY Cruises can be problematic.   In Europe, tourist sites and museums are mostly closed on 12/25 & 1/1 and Viking will plan sea days.

Before you book, get your hands on the revised itinerary because the 12/19 sailing is due in Malta on 12/24-25 and Malaga on 1/1.  That is why this sailing is empty. Changes have already been announced. I read it here: post #19 --

Yes, we are aware of the curtailed port calls due to Christmas and New Years.  The absence of Malaga is a big one for us but our prime objective is to sail over the holidays.  We did a Celebrity holiday cruise last year that left from Barcelona and really enjoyed the holiday vibe.  Unfortunately most cruise lines have abandoned the Med by late December and this Viking cruise was the only remaining one that interested us - despite the loss of Malaga.  The loss of the port calls may indeed be what's keeping sales down.  That's why I was wondering if there may yet be another special offer that lowers the price.  As it stands, the current price along with extra sea days in lieu of port calls puts this cruise in the "not worth it" category for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rjp50 said:

Yes, we are aware of the curtailed port calls due to Christmas and New Years.  The absence of Malaga is a big one for us but our prime objective is to sail over the holidays.  We did a Celebrity holiday cruise last year that left from Barcelona and really enjoyed the holiday vibe.  Unfortunately most cruise lines have abandoned the Med by late December and this Viking cruise was the only remaining one that interested us - despite the loss of Malaga.  The loss of the port calls may indeed be what's keeping sales down.  That's why I was wondering if there may yet be another special offer that lowers the price.  As it stands, the current price along with extra sea days in lieu of port calls puts this cruise in the "not worth it" category for us.

Viking typically does not run last minute promos.  

If you wait, you risk losing lower priced cabins as they typically book out first.

We have always booked Viking 12 + months out so I have no knowledge of deals last minute or closer to sailing, but my knowledge and experience is that this is not the norm for Viking and I would not expect it.

If you wait, you may get a great deal. You may also find the ship sells out before you try to book.  If you want a specific cruise, book it. If you are flexible, wait and see what happens.  Usually Christmas and New Year’s Eve sailings are very popular on mass market ships.  I often cruised at that time when kids were in school.  I made reservations way in advance. I booked Caribbean sailings.  Paid top prices. However, since Viking has no kids, it may not be as attractive.  Also, Med cruises in winter aren’t very popular. I did a Med cruise late Oct.  weather is often rainy and cool. many ports were deserted.  Stores and restaurants close for winter.  

2 hours ago, rjp50 said:

As it stands, the current price along with extra sea days in lieu of port calls puts this cruise in the "not worth it" category for us.

We all have a "not worth it" price.  If the current sale is in that category, then you have your answer.  You have nothing to lose by waiting.  If it gets better you get below your not worth it price.  If it doesn't you don't go.  

2 hours ago, rjp50 said:

I am aware of the anniversary sale but the savings seem minimal for our desired sailing and cabin type (DV) over the holidays.  If there is another promo code that you are using, do you mind sharing it?

Do I mind sharing it?  Of course not.

If you look at the thread called Viking promos and look at post 1766, you will find the promo WSM24.

Real savings.  I was hoping to get the promo from the Florida Flounder, but got it from my best bud, Traveling with Style.

You wrote-

As it stands, the current price along with extra sea days in lieu of port calls puts this cruise in the "not worth it" category for us.

If that's how you feel, don't book.  But sailing with Viking during the holiday's is really nice.  They tend to do a few extra things like they do on the World cruises.

6 hours ago, I am Not A Crook said:

Do I mind sharing it?  Of course not.

If you look at the thread called Viking promos and look at post 1766, you will find the promo WSM24.

Real savings.  I was hoping to get the promo from the Florida Flounder, but got it from my best bud, Traveling with Style.

You wrote-

If that's how you feel, don't book.  But sailing with Viking during the holiday's is really nice.  They tend to do a few extra things like they do on the World cruises.

Thank you!  This really does provide some real savings.  This may move this into the "worth it" category.  I was looking at a DV4 cabin but for only $500 pp more we can get a PV3 "guarantee".  We had a PV1 before and really liked it.  I'm not sure what the downside of getting a guaranteed cabin would be other than not being able to pick the specific cabin.  Do you know if there are any bad PV3 cabins?

On 8/15/2024 at 6:17 PM, rjp50 said:

Thank you!  This really does provide some real savings.  This may move this into the "worth it" category.  I was looking at a DV4 cabin but for only $500 pp more we can get a PV3 "guarantee".  We had a PV1 before and really liked it.  I'm not sure what the downside of getting a guaranteed cabin would be other than not being able to pick the specific cabin.  Do you know if there are any bad PV3 cabins?

Just looking at the ship plans, it looks like PV3s are only on Deck 4 (forward of the elevators). The (very) good news is that there are only cabins above and below those cabins (not public spaces).

• Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 12:17 AM, rjp50 said:

Some folks prefer sliding doors, while others prefer hinged ones.  If you’re not picky then shouldn’t make a lot of difference. 

36 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Some folks prefer sliding doors, while others prefer hinged ones.  If you’re not picky then shouldn’t make a lot of difference. 

We’ve stayed in both types. Not a big deal either way.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2024 at 5:49 PM, odblnt said:

Just looking at the ship plans, it looks like PV3s are only on Deck 4 (forward of the elevators). The (very) good news is that there are only cabins above and below those cabins (not public spaces).

PV cabins are perfect.  We are in a PV1 forward deck 6. No noise.  No foot traffic other than the guests who have cabins on deck 6 forward. I would gladly book a PV again.  On our previous cruise, we were in a PJS.  It was very spacious.  The extra space and amenities are nice. However, the price difference between PJS and PV is huge.  Enjoy your cruise.

50 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

PV cabins are perfect.  We are in a PV1 forward deck 6. No noise.  No foot traffic other than the guests who have cabins on deck 6 forward. I would gladly book a PV again.  On our previous cruise, we were in a PJS.  It was very spacious.  The extra space and amenities are nice. However, the price difference between PJS and PV is huge.  Enjoy your cruise.

We love deck 6 forward (PV1) as well, especially on starboard side.  The hallway leads forward to the bridge.  Often we would run into the Captain coming or going in that hallway.  Kind of neat.  There's a little porthole window in the hall door to the bridge area as well.