Venice Hotels - When to book?

jkbec101

We're flying into Venice two days prior to our cruise out of Trieste in October 2025..  

My question is when do you book your hotels?  What I have read is to book anytime between now and six months out.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jkbec101 said:

We're flying into Venice two days prior to our cruise out of Trieste in October 2025..  

My question is when do you book your hotels?  What I have read is to book anytime between now and six months out.  

I reserve hotels for European travel as soon as I have my travel plans nailed down -- usually about 9 months in advance or so.  However, I book at hotels that do not require a pre-payment.  I stay on top of when I would need to cancel without incurring charges.  Then I occasionally look around for better rates at acceptable hotels in the area all the way up to a couple weeks before I travel. If I find a better deal at a good hotel, I book it and cancel the first hotel.  If a hotel you like lets you book this early, why not do it?

If you're one who books non-refundable rates to get a better deal, then my advice doesn't apply.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 3

@MeHeartCruising perfectly nailed it. If you don't have to put any money down, why not book as soon as available? You can always monitor prices, and rebook if they fall. On that topic, I just rebooked 4 hotel bookings occurring in the next month for at least 15-20% less, as the prices had fallen. ALWAYS book the new rate before canceling the old booking.

Keep in mind many hotels in Europe, particularly ones not American oriented, may not accept bookings for next summer until December or January.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jkbec101 said:

Agree with what's been said but a nuance is if you are booking with points (and there are some great points redemption hotels in Venice) you need to do that as soon as they are available-- usually about 50 weeks out. 

We've been able to book some spectacular stays on points and points and cash in Venice like The Gritti Palace and St Regis through Marriott Bonvoy (also the JW Marriott is a great redemption) which can go for thousands of dollars a night for free. You have numerous through Hilton like the Molino Stucky and other hotel companies. 

Just another way to go about it but one that rewards those who book as far in advance as possible as reward nights are usually limited by property. 

18 hours ago, jkbec101 said:

If you try to book in the next couple of months, just be careful that you are booking for October 2025.  

Many hotels will not have October 2025 prices released for some months yet!