CA Kitchen: Instructor Identity is Classified Info

Not a big deal, but I found this amusing,

I recently asked our TA to inquire of Regent as to who would be the CA Kitchen instructor on our December cruise.

This is what she replied(via Regent): 

I heard back on the Chef request…apparently they are not allowed to give out the Chef’s name for security purposes.

“Please relay to the guests that they will have a seasoned beloved chef teaching the cooking classes and we have some great classes they can choose from during their voyage.”

Security purposes?  Maybe the kitchen instructor is in the Witness Protection Program, or maybe retired MI6.  I suppose it's possible.  

As to all the potential replies about how reasonable this is, they could have just said "we haven't firmed up that contract yet": instead of this piffle.

Then again, maybe Tom Cruise is going to repel into the kitchen, straight thru the window. Then ride a motorcycle to the chef's station.  Come to think of it, I'd keep a lid on that too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

14 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

But I assume they have no problem identifying the captain or CD by name?  I would think the names of key personnel are made public. Strange indeed. 

They didn’t claim security issues but they wouldn’t tell me who the CD would be on our cruise in June. 

I think mostly a poorly worded response since they probably don't want to name the chef because things change.  While the chef on-board will have been contracted for by now, there could be some issue between now and then requiring a change.

5 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

They didn’t claim security issues but they wouldn’t tell me who the CD would be on our cruise in June. 

Huh...I guess I'm just used to Celebrity who are pretty open with the names of senior officers on their ships.  Interesting.

17 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Huh...I guess I'm just used to Celebrity who are pretty open with the names of senior officers on their ships.  Interesting.

We’ll, based on other responses here maybe I just talked to someone who was anxious to start their coffee break 🤔

This topic sort of went down a rabbit hole.  The leader of the culinary arts class is probably a secret because they don't even know whom it might be.  He/she is there as an entertainer, not to give any top Michelin chef competition.  His/her duty is to get the wine flowing so that everyone will have a good time.

Will you learn how to learn to cook something really great?  Unlikely, as all ingredients are in pre-measured glass dishes ... you just throw them on the heat and have another glass of wine.  Will it come out? ... almost certainly.

Will you have a good time?  Most likely, I did and made it back to my cabin o.k. since I wasn't driving. 😁

• Like 1

Here is what I did - I wanted to avoid a certain instructor whom I did not like and did not think was very good...so once on board I asked who was doing the cooking classes.  I was told.  (It was the one I don't like).   I went to Destination Services (I think it was anyway) and cancelled my classes.   Got a full refund and I was happy!

53 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Here is what I did - I wanted to avoid a certain instructor whom I did not like and did not think was very good...so once on board I asked who was doing the cooking classes.  I was told.  (It was the one I don't like).   I went to Destination Services (I think it was anyway) and cancelled my classes.   Got a full refund and I was happy!

You have to pay for these classes?!!  I’m used to Silversea where they are included in the cruise.  Passengers can only sign up for two per cruise, but then go on a waitlist if wanting to do more.

Yes - you pay (I think USD89 pp or so).  It is a 2 hour hands-on course in a proper Culinary Centre classroom.    However there are also sometimes Cooking Demonstrations given by the Executive Chef, GM in some cases (Franck Galzy makes great crèpes for example!!).  Look out for an announcement of those in Passages.  Those are free.

18 minutes ago, Port Power said:

You have to pay for these classes?!!  I’m used to Silversea where they are included in the cruise.  Passengers can only sign up for two per cruise, but then go on a waitlist if wanting to do more.

We've often signed up for more than 2 per cruise.  Might be a function of the length of the cruise (ours are usually in the 2-week range).  We're signed up for 3 on an upcoming 2-week TA crossing.  I you see an option to waitlist it is likely just because the session is filled and not an imposed limit.  The "trick" here is that the CA sessions do not show up at some easily determined point.  We've booked them before the 365-day excursion window and sometimes many weeks thereafter.  So, if you really care about these events, check early and check often until they appear.

• Like 1