Clothing Company Caution

Posted (edited)

I'm trying to share this as widely as possible, as I, and a few friends, have been burned recently. 

eShakti, who used to be one of the top customizable clothing brands, has effectively gone out of business.

My experience: I ordered 6 items in early December of 2023, with a delivery timeline of 4 weeks, which should have been LOADS of time before departing for my Panama Canal cruise in late January 2024. I finally received 3 of the items in April, and the other three have never been made or delivered. I was told that, due to the delay, they would cancel the other three items and send me a refund. That refund never arrived. On their website, it shows that all 6 items were included in the shipment that came to me. I've sent multiple emails, left multiple voice mails, submitted comments through their website, and received no responses since late April. 

Other friends and contacts have reported similar experiences over the last ~12 months, and if you search online, you'll see posts from former employees explaining the current situation (their factories have all shut down, they've laid off all of their Indian and American employees, and, at least until the last few days, were still accepting orders (including taking payment) on their website. They seem to be no longer accepting orders, with an error message on the website that says they are unable to process payment due to technical issues.) 

I was previously a HUGE fan of eShakti, and recommended them to a number of friends - I've got a number of items of clothing from them, including some of my favourite Gala night frocks, and I'm really sad that they've gone the way of the dodo. 

Edited by neeuqdrazil

What a shame.  I've developed some 'life rules' over the years.  Such as: don't buy a timeshare, don't purchase anything through FaceBook, don't order stuff from a faceless internet site.  And for sure don't sell your house and give your money to a company/ship that's going to be your permanent home.  Don't be a sucker, P.T. Barnum was right.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I'm trying to share this as widely as possible, as I, and a few friends, have been burned recently. 

eShakti, who used to be one of the top customizable clothing brands, has effectively gone out of business.

My experience: I ordered 6 items in early December of 2023, with a delivery timeline of 4 weeks, which should have been LOADS of time before departing for my Panama Canal cruise in late January 2024. I finally received 3 of the items in April, and the other three have never been made or delivered. I was told that, due to the delay, they would cancel the other three items and send me a refund. That refund never arrived. On their website, it shows that all 6 items were included in the shipment that came to me. I've sent multiple emails, left multiple voice mails, submitted comments through their website, and received no responses since late April. 

Other friends and contacts have reported similar experiences over the last ~12 months, and if you search online, you'll see posts from former employees explaining the current situation (their factories have all shut down, they've laid off all of their Indian and American employees, and, at least until the last few days, were still accepting orders (including taking payment) on their website. They seem to be no longer accepting orders, with an error message on the website that says they are unable to process payment due to technical issues.) 

I was previously a HUGE fan of eShakti, and recommended them to a number of friends - I've got a number of items of clothing from them, including some of my favourite Gala night frocks, and I'm really sad that they've gone the way of the dodo. 

My DW, had a similar experience with Annah Hariri (www.annahariri.com).  Her order was never delivered and for a few months they offered multiple excuses before stopping to reply.  We lost about $500.  Not much you can do. 

7 hours ago, jsn55 said:

What a shame.  I've developed some 'life rules' over the years.  Such as: don't buy a timeshare, don't purchase anything through FaceBook, don't order stuff from a faceless internet site.  And for sure don't sell your house and give your money to a company/ship that's going to be your permanent home.  Don't be a sucker, P.T. Barnum was right.  

They were previously very well run - I had successfully ordered 4 or 5 times from them in the past, as had many friends, hence why I chose to order from them again, and why I'm spreading the info, because there are a lot of positive reviews out there from a few years ago. 

14 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

My DW, had a similar experience with Annah Hariri (www.annahariri.com).  Her order was never delivered and for a few months they offered multiple excuses before stopping to reply.  We lost about $500.  Not much you can do. 

File a dispute with your credit card for goods not delivered

2 hours ago, awhfy said:

File a dispute with your credit card for goods not delivered

We made the grave mistake of listening to them that there were delays and they’d be sending soon.  By the time we got around to complaining, it was past the date for filing a complaint.  Lesson learned. 

40 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

We made the grave mistake of listening to them that there were delays and they’d be sending soon.  By the time we got around to complaining, it was past the date for filing a complaint.  Lesson learned. 

You should still be able to dispute for non delivery 

I've never heard of this company and TBH, I don't order clothes online and try to support local stores - so I'm a lot biased against online-only retailers. It is definitely a case of buyer beware these days! Hopefully your information on eShakti will save someone disappointment. 

It's becoming easier for scammers to set-up online stores. With AI so readily available to everyone, it's easy for someone to create a clothing store with countless images of garments that don't exist. 

But you mentioned that you received items from this store in the past. It's a tough time to be in business. I think we'll see more of this. Companies like Shein underpricing everyone ... 

On 8/16/2024 at 6:24 PM, mrgabriel said:

I've never heard of this company and TBH, I don't order clothes online and try to support local stores - so I'm a lot biased against online-only retailers. It is definitely a case of buyer beware these days! Hopefully your information on eShakti will save someone disappointment. 

As a plus-sized gal, I'm relatively limited in in-person shopping options, especially for dressier clothes, so online (especially a vendor like this that did custom measurement clothing) is often my only option. 

I'd love to be able to shop locally more, but the pickings are often very slim. 

59 minutes ago, neeuqdrazil said:

As a plus-sized gal, I'm relatively limited in in-person shopping options, especially for dressier clothes, so online (especially a vendor like this that did custom measurement clothing) is often my only option. 

I'd love to be able to shop locally more, but the pickings are often very slim. 

I’m plus sized also. I sew most of my clothes which means I rarely have to go into stores and fortunately there are several stores here that I rely on. When I do buy ready to wear I’m always annoyed when I check the sizing chart and see that I’m size 16 in one store and 3XL in another. 

On 8/15/2024 at 12:29 PM, jsn55 said:

I check reviews before I order anything from an unknown to me company. 

My very cautious husband ordered a Vietnam veteran hat from a FB ad…he realized what I’d said about ordering from FB when his hat arrived & Vietnam was misspelled. We disputed with our credit card company. The company said nothing was wrong. We sent a picture of the hat to the credit company…they removed the charge. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have had great luck with the plus size clothes on Shein. The clothes are cheap and they also have free shipping both ways. I find many of the exact dresses on Amazon but for way less money on Shein. You do get what you pay for.... the clothes are made cheap but also cost cheap. I live in a rural area and am not comfortable driving an hour into Birmingham ( Alabama) so other than Walmart,  Online is my only option.

Edited by SAN415
punctuation
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SAN415 said:

I have had great luck with the plus size clothes on Shein. The clothes are cheap and they also have free shipping both ways. I find many of the exact dresses on Amazon but for way less money on Shein. You do get what you pay for.... the clothes are made cheap but also cost cheap. I live in a rural area and am not comfortable driving an hour into Birmingham ( Alabama) so other than Walmart,  Online is my only option.

Nothing wrong with ordering online, it's just the 'too-good-to-be-true faceless internet websites that should be avoided.  Thanks for the tip, I'll check out Shein.  

I have been hesitant to order from Shein after bad experience with Temu.   Placed many orders and only was disappointed with one item.   But credit card info was stolen and used to purchase multiple airline tickets.   Tracked back to Chinese address.   Bank took care of charges and reissued new card.   But it was a hassle.

She in is good for clothing (men’s & women’s). Just don’t expect it to be lasting forever, more of a hey I need a cute outfit for 1-2 wearing 

• 2 weeks later...