Lisbon Cruise Terminal

Allwashedup

I understand there are various ports in Lisbon where cruise liners dock.

We will be embarking on Azamara Onward on the 1st June 2025 at 6.00pm.

I also found that Azamara Journey will also be sailing out on the same day at the same time from Lisbon.

Is there anywhere we can find which port we will sail from, as we are looking to book a hotel close to the appropriate port.

It would be great if both ships were in the same port.

12 minutes ago, Allwashedup said:

I also found that Azamara Journey will also be sailing out on the same day at the same time from Lisbon.

Is there anywhere we can find which port we will sail from, as we are looking to book a hotel close to the appropriate port.

Find Lisbon here. The address provided there (by Azamara) is specific. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Allwashedup said:

It is really the same port. The further dock is reached by shuttle from the main terminal building which is a journey of two minutes. This happened to us last year when there were two other ships at the main terminal and our ship had to use the further away dock. You will still enter through the same terminal building so getting a hotel close by shouldn't matter.

Edited by Belfastman

22 minutes ago, conman said:

Beware of the “bandit” taxi drivers if you disembark from Lisbon and going to the airport.  I would suggest a prearranged ride.  

They are shockers! Excellent advice 

Alternatively photograph the driver and plate before getting in. The genuine ones don’t mind. The bandits either behave or rant and shout so you don’t get in that car and as everyone else in line has seen it the bandit has to drive off 

Thank you for all your advice, this has helped us a lot. 

As our local airport only flies into Faro from the UK, we have decided to transfer to Lisbon from Faro by train as part of the holiday. A bit of an adventure.

It was good to learn about the dodgy taxi drivers though, as I guess we could encounter them at the train station as well, so we will be on our guard. 

3 minutes ago, Allwashedup said:

As our local airport only flies into Faro from the UK, we have decided to transfer to Lisbon from Faro by train as part of the holiday. A bit of an adventure.

It was good to learn about the dodgy taxi drivers though, as I guess we could encounter them at the train station as well, so we will be on our guard. 

If you come by train, you stand a better chance of a realistic fare, but try not to look like tourists! 

1 hour ago, Allwashedup said:

A word of advice re booking train travel...(learned through personal experience booking Porto to Lisbon) is that there are only 2 sites that allow you to book directly - CP - Comboios de Portugal or Portugal Train Tickets - Book Online & Compare Prices - Omio.

Goggling takes you to a site called rail ninja which apparently should be avoided.

• Like 1

We will be embarking in Lisbon for an upcoming cruise and had heard about the taxi drivers at the airport.   I plan on booking transfers from the airport to the hotel and hotel to the ship but was wondering if anyone has recommendations on who to use?    Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Jay19 said:

We will be embarking in Lisbon for an upcoming cruise and had heard about the taxi drivers at the airport.   I plan on booking transfers from the airport to the hotel and hotel to the ship but was wondering if anyone has recommendations on who to use?    Thanks!

Two approaches that work well for us:  (a) uber is very good in Lisbon, including airport pickups; (b) the hotel can arrange a pickup with a trusted company.

Use Uber. It's easy and your fare is set. There is an ongoing street repair project not too far from the pier and some of the sketchy drivers will take you around the world to get to the pier. That equates to a higher fare of course. 

3 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

Use Uber. It's easy and your fare is set. There is an ongoing street repair project not too far from the pier and some of the sketchy drivers will take you around the world to get to the pier. That equates to a higher fare of course. 

That's another reason I like uber:  your interest (in getting there quickly and cheaply) and the driver's (in getting you there quickly to take the next fare, since the price is set) are aligned.

In 2022, after a Douro river cruise, we traveled around Portugal by train (as well as bus on some routes), it was quite easy. We traveled your route between Faro and Lisbon as well.

As suggested above, we used the website cp.pt which is the direct site for Portugal rail. If you create an account, they will notify you by email of strikes or disruptions along the rail lines. 

For your route you will want to select the stations of "Faro" to "Lisboa Oriente", this will give you several direct train options (no changes), all about 3 hours long. And then take an Uber from Oriente station to your lodging.

Note: You could also take the train to Lisboa Appolonia station, which will get you closer to your lodging likely, but it involves a change of train, and your train change occurs at Oriente station, where you will then change to the second leg of your trip for a 7 minute train ride. We found it quicker and easier to get off at Oriente and Uber about 20 minutes to our lodging. 

• Like 2

The Santa Apolonia cruise terminal page has great information, including nearby train stops.

https://www.portodelisboa.pt/en/terminal-de-cruzeiros-de-santa-apolonia 

Azamara docked here in the last two times we were in Lisbon.  It is a relatively small cruise terminal, close to the city and many restaurants.

Uber is the best transport in Lisbon:

Another vote for Uber in Portugal, particularly in Lisbon!  Uber worked extremely well, and my chances of finding an English-speaking driver in Uber were higher than in a taxi.  It's nice to know your fare, know that the driver has your destination already programmed, have a way to reach the driver if you leave something in the car, and of course, know the price.

To take Uber from the cruise terminal, a driver told me that sometimes they can't get in without passengers (or perhaps I did not understand), but we just walked across the street and called them.

To take Uber from the airport, it was a bit tricky.  Fortunately, folks have posted videos on how to find uber (about a 10-min walk, make a right as you exit the secure area of the airport, go up the escalator - but still inside the terminal-, go outside the terminal past the buses and taxi drivers, and you'll find tons of people waiting for their cars.

Always check if Uber is working in the destination you are visiting, as taxis usually oppose ride services and try to block them.   In Spain, also download the [uber-like] Cabify app as some cities appear to favor this service.

2 hours ago, Dynacruiser said:

In Spain, also download the [uber-like] Cabify app as some cities appear to favor this service.

I have read some scathing reviews of Cabify, and have avoided using the service.

On 8/16/2024 at 11:37 PM, blag said:

Find Lisbon here. The address provided there (by Azamara) is specific. 

Not to overly complicate things, but last year on Azamara we did not dock there (the Santa Apolonia terminal), but instead at Gare Marítima da Rocha Conde de Óbidos, which was not as convenient a location. The location was due to the large number of cruise ships in port those days (we had an overnight in Lisbon).

Made even more inconvenient by my mother not feeling well and taking a cab by herself back to the ship, except the cab took her to the Santa Apolonia terminal and left her even though she was trying to tell him it was not the right location. Fortunately it is not only Azamara personnel who can be wonderful...some cruise terminal workers saw there was an issue and figured out where she needed to get to and apparently very forcibly told the cab driver where he would be taking her 🤣

• Like 1

On 8/18/2024 at 12:21 PM, terry&mike said:

In 2022, after a Douro river cruise, we traveled around Portugal by train (as well as bus on some routes), it was quite easy. We traveled your route between Faro and Lisbon as well.

As suggested above, we used the website cp.pt which is the direct site for Portugal rail. If you create an account, they will notify you by email of strikes or disruptions along the rail lines. 

For your route you will want to select the stations of "Faro" to "Lisboa Oriente", this will give you several direct train options (no changes), all about 3 hours long. And then take an Uber from Oriente station to your lodging.

Note: You could also take the train to Lisboa Appolonia station, which will get you closer to your lodging likely, but it involves a change of train, and your train change occurs at Oriente station, where you will then change to the second leg of your trip for a 7 minute train ride. We found it quicker and easier to get off at Oriente and Uber about 20 minutes to our lodging. 

This is great information thank you, you second guessed our dilema regarding which train station we should aim for. We have decided to get a taxi from Lisboa Oriente to our hotel.

Your hint about creating an account with cp.pt made a lot of sense, having travelled extensively by train in various countries this was 'spot on'.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blag said:

I have read some scathing reviews of Cabify, and have avoided using the service.

In some Spanish cities, you have no choice.  I tried using Uber in Valencia one evening and found nothing available for 2 hours.  No taxis, I think it was holiday.  Until I downloaded and set up Cabify, thanks to a local waiting for the bus, and the vehicle picked me up in 10 min.  

Only used Cabify a few times in Spain, a couple of times in South America and didnt have a problem.

3 hours ago, sczcardfan said:

Made even more inconvenient by my mother not feeling well and taking a cab by herself back to the ship, except the cab took her to the Santa Apolonia terminal and left her even though she was trying to tell him it was not the right location. 

Glad your mom made it back safely, but this is another reason why I like Uber, Lyft, Cabify or similar services.

• Like 1