Best time to cruise Alaska May or September

nmsk5

If you look around the board, there are dozens of threads on Alaska weather. In summary, May will be about the driest time of the season, but cooler. September will be wetter...but perhaps a little warmer, AT TIMES. There can also be significant storms in September. 

The number 1 rule...the weather in Alaska is quite variable,  often changing a couple of times each day.

What are your cruise goals? Example: "I want to see bears" well, May is out and September is a maybe; mid July to mid August are your best bets.

We've done April (just Ketchikan on a 4-day), May, July, August, and September. Our September was unseasonably dry and warm; everyone was falling asleep on the WPYR train as they had the furnaces going. July was far better for evening whale watching in Victoria than August due to sunset time (can't believe I was stupid enough to not think ahead for that). Whale watching has been great out of Juneau every time.

10 hours ago, peety3 said:

What are your cruise goals? Example: "I want to see bears" well, May is out and September is a maybe; mid July to mid August are your best bets.

We've done April (just Ketchikan on a 4-day), May, July, August, and September. Our September was unseasonably dry and warm; everyone was falling asleep on the WPYR train as they had the furnaces going. July was far better for evening whale watching in Victoria than August due to sunset time (can't believe I was stupid enough to not think ahead for that). Whale watching has been great out of Juneau every time.

I actually have seen bears on each and every one of my May cruises. They were not expected and they were not on bear tours. I agree, bear tours run mid-July and on.

Though - one can definitely see bears in May.

I have had excellent whale watching in May compared to July (my experience) though I haven't gone in Victoria. Mostly Juneau and Hoonah.

I actually love May. Neve gone in September. I love the snow on the mountains and better chance of dryer weather and less storms.

We have cruised in Alaska every summer month from May to August and our two May trips were beautiful - little rain and maybe a little colder on a couple of days, but overall lovely. One thing of note is that we saw the least amount of wildlife other than eagles on our two May trips. No bears, very few whales, and of course no salmon. But the scenery with the snow still quite low and frozen lakes, was beautiful. 

We are taking our first September trip in a couple of weeks, so I’ll report back on how I found it when we return. 

• Like 1

I've cruised Alaska in May, June, July, August, and September. My favorite is September because it's cooling down, there is fall colors to see, and still plenty of wildlife to view.  My second favorite is July because it's sunny and warm and TONS of wildlife viewing, but days are long which is nice on one hand, but I miss the stars at night in June/July. And mid-summer is crowded. My least favorite is May. I do love the snow capped mountains and the nice weather although still a bit chilly. But there is a distinct lack of wildlife in early May.  For me, the wildlife makes the trip, so thats why I recommend either summer or fall.

• Like 1

I prefer mid May to mid June. Overall cooler but dryer. I like the long daylight hours. In September by the time you sail it's dark and you miss half the scenery. I've sailed every month and prefer early season. I sail next May for my 35+ time to Alaska

• Like 2