"Stateroom Capacity Advisory" Email - Have you received this notification?

2 hours ago, shadow 123 said:

Thank you. This about sums that up. I always book a room Because of location. I don't care about the size. Also, I need a room with a shower only. My days of climbing over a tub are over. I would be so disappointed If they change my room....

I choose a cabin for location, too. For this winter's cruise, I could see some cabins with shower only, so I took one of those. I prefer the shower to the tub. I never thought about capacity. After this new policy came to light, I went back to look and, fortunately, I've got a double. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I suspect it's feasibility. They've changed the algorithm and don't know how to program in exceptions to grandfather older bookings.

Or most of the affected cabins are desirable enough that they were grabbed at an early date and grandfathering would defeat the purpose.

Edited by Wehwalt
  • Like 1

I am rather curious as to why I haven't received this email.  I sail in November.  Checked my luggage tag last night and it still shows my J cabin that's a quad.  If this policy is out and about, I would think they would've informed me that they'd like me to switch.  You know, give me the opportunity to change to a cabin of my own choice rather than show up at the pier and have the unpleasant surprise that I've been "upgraded" to a cabin I don't want.

But I'm not going to voluntarily ask to be moved because I may not get bumped.  After all, until they send me "the email" I'm going to pretend I'm ignorant about this.  If I show up and I've been moved, I'll do what I did in January - go to Guest Services and continue to contact them until something is done.  And this time, if I'm downgraded to a regular interior, I'll insist on some compensation for the lower-priced cabin.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

I think this could be about the term "assigned cabin" ("If you are assigned to a cabin, that is yours"). Maybe the rep thinks the question is about a Guarentee assignment? I can't imagine HAL making the mistake of assigning a Guarentee solo or couple to a triple or quad in the first place.

She had my booking number and was able to see that it was a specific cabin. It wasn't a guarantee. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, highscar said:

To clarify, I had the same cabin previously and enjoyed the location not knowing it is an accessible cabin. HAL knows I use a scooter.  

Don't you have to have an accessible cabin if you're using a scooter? I know some lines have that restriction.

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

Yes i’m curious if this policy affects singles booking a cabin for two people which in most cases is their only choice.

I'm wondering the same thing.  There are some tiny inside cabins that a couple definitely wouldn't want, but the cruise line may feel justified moving a solo passenger there.  I've been in one of them (125 sq. ft.).  Never again.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I suspect it's feasibility. They've changed the algorithm and don't know how to program in exceptions to grandfather older bookings.

Considering that it is most likely a database query that generates a list for  the inventory management department to use, the change would be one additional code element in a logical and statement.

I would suspect more intent. With the intent to trigger voluntary moves. That coupled with making things much more difficult for people to book above their party size should limit the number of forced moves.

Edited by TRLD

17 hours ago, highscar said:

As a single booked in an accessible cabin which does not show capacity on the deck plan, what’s the chances of keeping it?

we are 2 in an accessable cabin ( with out a sofa in the room it is only a double) but I called about it yesterday just for my peace of mind and as long as you have a SRI form on fine you cabin is secure

On 8/20/2024 at 10:29 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I choose a cabin for location, too. For this winter's cruise, I could see some cabins with shower only, so I took one of those. I prefer the shower to the tub. I never thought about capacity. After this new policy came to light, I went back to look and, fortunately, I've got a double. 

I almost hate to bring this thread up again. I have been checking the website for my Jan cruise, hoping an aft verandah would open up. I saw very few cabins available (specifying one person). Our roll call has been commenting on this--very low availability for months, far less than other Caribbean cruises this winter. 

Well, today I took a look and there are a lot of verandahs available, midship and forward. Still only a few aft and none at the stern. I haven't seen any midship verandahs open for at least a month. 

And here's the weird thing. I specified one person, but most of the cabins I was offered are quads. The cruise is just under 4 months away. At some point, do they say, what the heck, give a single our couple a quad just to get it sold?