After disembarking from ship in Boston

red47

12 hours ago, red47 said:

Can anyone suggest what to do (with our luggage) for 6hrs.before our flight home?

It depends on what you want to do. Are you trying to sightsee or just lay low somewhere comfortable that's not the airport for a few hours? There are sometimes tours offered by the ship that take care of your luggage and then drop you at the airport. There is also a service offered by the water taxi company that does something similar but gives you time on your own to walk around. 

Personally I would just Uber from the pier to a nicer hotel in Copley or Beacon Hill, check my bags with them, and have a leisurely late lunch and some drinks there. But I'm also in Boston a few times a month so have zero inclination to sightsee. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2024 at 8:43 AM, princeton123211 said:

It depends on what you want to do. Are you trying to sightsee or just lay low somewhere comfortable that's not the airport for a few hours? There are sometimes tours offered by the ship that take care of your luggage and then drop you at the airport. There is also a service offered by the water taxi company that does something similar but gives you time on your own to walk around. 

Personally I would just Uber from the pier to a nicer hotel in Copley or Beacon Hill, check my bags with them, and have a leisurely late lunch and some drinks there. But I'm also in Boston a few times a month so have zero inclination to sightsee. 

Just now, red47 said:

Thanks, We've been to Boston before so just looking to lay low and people watch.😊Any suggestions on places that wouldn't be too far from airport? I do remember the traffic there! I appreciate your help with this.

37 minutes ago, red47 said:

Thanks, We've been to Boston before so just looking to lay low and people watch.😊Any suggestions on places that wouldn't be too far from airport? I do remember the traffic there! I appreciate your help with this.

The airport is across the harbor from the cruise terminal and from most of Boston.  There isn't really anything "near" the airport to hang out that is going to be particularly easier to get to the airport from than elsewhere in Boston, so I'd pick a place in town, like Copley Square, as suggested, or near Fanueil Hall or along the waterfront, depending on the weather.  If you want to stay close to the Cruise terminal and only "transfer" once, you could probably walk to the Institute of Contemporary Art along the waterfront, which has tons of seating and great people watching, plus options for a quick meal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, red47 said:

Any suggestions on places that wouldn't be too far from airport? I do remember the traffic there! I appreciate your help with this.

As Nitemare said-- everything is "close" to the airport because nothing is next to the airport. If it were me I would head to the Oak Bar at the Fairmont Copley Plaza. Great people watching, great room to tuck into for a few hours for food/drinks, and walking distance to a lot if you want to check your bags with them and then go for a walk. 15 minutes to the airport by Uber. 

On 8/19/2024 at 7:45 PM, red47 said:

Can anyone suggest what to do (with our luggage) for 6hrs.before our flight home?

Do you really have 6 hours after you get off the ship and until you need to be at the airport or are you calculating from when the ship is scheduled to dock until your flight time?

You can always drag your feet getting off the ship, that could easily use up 2 hours. Get to the airport 2 or 2.5 hours early and all of a sudden you don’t have a lot of time. 

if you have a true 6 hours (a late afternoon flight) the other suggestions are great. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2024 at 8:57 AM, Nitemare said:

The airport is across the harbor from the cruise terminal and from most of Boston.  There isn't really anything "near" the airport to hang out that is going to be particularly easier to get to the airport from than elsewhere in Boston, so I'd pick a place in town, like Copley Square, as suggested, or near Fanueil Hall or along the waterfront, depending on the weather.  If you want to stay close to the Cruise terminal and only "transfer" once, you could probably walk to the Institute of Contemporary Art along the waterfront, which has tons of seating and great people watching, plus options for a quick meal.

What are the hotels in that area?  I think one transfer would be a bonus, but I do want to have a place to eat that evening.

1 hour ago, Junebug624 said:

What are the hotels in that area?  I think one transfer would be a bonus, but I do want to have a place to eat that evening.

Fairmont Copley Plaza is one of the main ones and is a Boston gem in its own right. Same architect as The Plaza in New York City. The Oak Bar is a great spot for a bite to eat and a drink or two. The Newbury Hotel right on Boston Public Garden a few blocks over also has a great bar and lounge for eating as well as a great Italian restaurant on the roof. 

Tons of restaurants in the immediate vicinity of Copley Square-- too many to just ramble off but if you are looking for a specific rec happy to make some. 

2 hours ago, Junebug624 said:

Newbury is out of our price range at $988 a night.

Unfortunately that's pretty down the middle price wise for a 4 star hotel in Boston a lot of the time. There is a Marriott and Westin in Copley, a Hilton not far away, and another Hilton in Back Bay that might be a little less but will still be most likely on the high side. 

On 8/29/2024 at 3:09 PM, princeton123211 said:

Unfortunately that's pretty down the middle price wise for a 4 star hotel in Boston a lot of the time. There is a Marriott and Westin in Copley, a Hilton not far away, and another Hilton in Back Bay that might be a little less but will still be most likely on the high side. 

No.  $988 is NOT "down the middle" price for Boston at any time, other than maybe a last minute booking on Marathon Monday

24 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

No.  $988 is NOT "down the middle" price for Boston at any time, other than maybe a last minute booking on Marathon Monday

I'm in Boston twice a month for work and frankly couldn't justify it unless I have the corporate rate I have. As an example tonight the Fairmont Copley Plaza is $736 a night on their website for a standard King room including tax. This is not a 5 star hotel. 

The Newbury is $1049 tonight, the Westin Copley is $649, the Sheraton is $686 all in. This is a random Wednesday in September. This doesn't even take into account the truly 5 star options which are all in excess of $1200 a night tonight. 

Boston has an obnoxiously high priced hotel market mostly year round. 

31 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I'm in Boston twice a month for work and frankly couldn't justify it unless I have the corporate rate I have. As an example tonight the Fairmont Copley Plaza is $736 a night on their website for a standard King room including tax. This is not a 5 star hotel. 

The Newbury is $1049 tonight, the Westin Copley is $649, the Sheraton is $686 all in. This is a random Wednesday in September. This doesn't even take into account the truly 5 star options which are all in excess of $1200 a night tonight. 

Boston has an obnoxiously high priced hotel market mostly year round. 

Fairmont and Newbury are far from average hotels.  They are wildly upscale and unfair comparisons.

September and October *are* expensive months in Boston, yes.  But not $988 most of the time for the Sheratons/Hiltons of the world, as you just showed.

I'll be staying for 2 weeks for under $300/night in November and I did the same last April.

4 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Fairmont and Newbury are far from average hotels.  They are wildly upscale and unfair comparisons.

They are solid 4 star hotels but they’re not “wildly upscale”. XV Beacon, Mandarin, Four Seasons (although it’s an older one), Ritz etc are wildly upscale. The Fairmont compares well with a Hilton, Marriott, Westin albeit with classic architecture and chandeliers. I love the hotel but it’s not a luxury property. 

We’re talking about averages. A Sheraton for $686 a night is not normal in most places. It’s indicative of the Boston hotel market however. 

• Like 1

Newbury used to be the Ritz Carlton, it's one of the pillars of Boston hotels.  The Fairmont is also a Top 10% property in Boston

The Sheraton Boston is rarely that expensive.  I ran a few dates, using the 20th of the month as a "random" check:

12/20 - $161

11/20 - $297

10/14 - $361 (sold out on the 20th)

9/20 - $360

1/20/25 - $161

On 9/11/2024 at 8:45 PM, princeton123211 said:

They are solid 4 star hotels but they’re not “wildly upscale”. XV Beacon, Mandarin, Four Seasons (although it’s an older one), Ritz etc are wildly upscale. The Fairmont compares well with a Hilton, Marriott, Westin albeit with classic architecture and chandeliers. I love the hotel but it’s not a luxury property. 

We’re talking about averages. A Sheraton for $686 a night is not normal in most places. It’s indicative of the Boston hotel market however. 

For a 10/11/24 Celebrity repositioning cruise from Boston we're booked at the Element hotel(next door to The Loft) very very close to the Boston cruise port. At the time it was only $348/1 night w/breakfast including tax & fees. Wanted to take Amtrak from Philly, but learned they don't take luggage on Boston bound trains(it's nuts)! So instead of a plane(Frontier times are terrible), plan on renting a car and driving day B4. Have you ever experienced that? 

3 minutes ago, Willwils said:

Wanted to take Amtrak from Philly, but learned they don't take luggage on Boston bound trains(it's nuts)! So instead of a plane(Frontier times are terrible), plan on renting a car and driving day B4. Have you ever experienced that? 

You were misinformed on luggage. They don't check luggage on Northeast Corridor trains (Northeast Regional and Acela) but they absolutely take luggage. I was on the Acela from Boston to Philly yesterday and plenty of folks with large suitcases. There are large storage compartments for oversized suitcases at the front and back of each carriage. 

At Philly and at Boston you can have a Red Cap assist you with large bags on and off the train as a free service (but you must tip). 

I wouldn't fly Frontier if you can avoid it-- the train ride is much easier. 

40 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

You were misinformed on luggage. They don't check luggage on Northeast Corridor trains (Northeast Regional and Acela) but they absolutely take luggage. I was on the Acela from Boston to Philly yesterday and plenty of folks with large suitcases. There are large storage compartments for oversized suitcases at the front and back of each carriage. 

At Philly and at Boston you can have a Red Cap assist you with large bags on and off the train as a free service (but you must tip). 

I wouldn't fly Frontier if you can avoid it-- the train ride is much easier. 

Thanks. Now I have to talk my wife into Amtrak.

21 minutes ago, Willwils said:

Thanks. Now I have to talk my wife into Amtrak.

I have to imagine that would be an easier task than talking her into un ultra low cost carrier like Frontier...

The train up and down to Boston is a great experience. Would definitely recommend the Acela if it's in the budget (all reserved seating, bigger windows, a little faster) but the Northeast Regional are nice as well. 

From Philly I prefer it to flying especially if you are going into downtown Boston. Its 30 min to PHL, you get there an hour and a half early, flight takes an hour, and getting into Boston from Logan can take upwards of 45 minutes sometimes. Door to door the train is nearly as fast as flying and much more reliable. 

On 9/14/2024 at 1:47 PM, princeton123211 said:

I have to imagine that would be an easier task than talking her into un ultra low cost carrier like Frontier...

The train up and down to Boston is a great experience. Would definitely recommend the Acela if it's in the budget (all reserved seating, bigger windows, a little faster) but the Northeast Regional are nice as well. 

From Philly I prefer it to flying especially if you are going into downtown Boston. Its 30 min to PHL, you get there an hour and a half early, flight takes an hour, and getting into Boston from Logan can take upwards of 45 minutes sometimes. Door to door the train is nearly as fast as flying and much more reliable. 

Thanks. She only wants to rent a 1 way car rental & share driving to Boston. She's worried about no room for luggage on Amtrak. If anything goes wrong with that car rental/driving, she's to blame! Would fly only if a decent Frontier flight from very close by Trenton. But doesn't exist. 

1 hour ago, Willwils said:

She's worried about no room for luggage on Amtrak.

image.png.ad1b155e210ccf8e7d23f217c15a1ace.png

Plenty of luggage storage-- storage areas like these are on both sides of each car plus the overhead bins which are larger than airplanes. You also have complimentary Red Cap service at each station-- they will carry your bags and put them on and take them off the train on both ends.