Skagway train trip

2BACRUISER

Looking at doing the skagway train trip that goes up into Canada, it says in the blurb foreign visitors need to be sure they can go into Canada and come back to the US on the trip. As a British traveller do I need to do anything for this or just take my passport? Thanx in advance ☺️ 

33 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Looking at doing the skagway train trip that goes up into Canada, it says in the blurb foreign visitors need to be sure they can go into Canada and come back to the US on the trip. As a British traveller do I need to do anything for this or just take my passport? Thanx in advance ☺️ 

Just your passport. 

image.jpeg.69f20164982d9df9630cd07402de8e1e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just your passport would be fine. When you get to the Canada/US border, you are not allowed off the train. No customs people there. I don't remember them checking for passports up there.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

You need the same documentation that you would need to enter Canada from home. Also you need the same documentation that you would need to enter the US from home. That might be just a passport but it might require some electronic authorization. 

There is one excursion that just goes up to the border and turns around and comes back. I have never seen anything checked on that excursion. 

Edited by zqvol
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2024 at 11:38 AM, Greg4502 said:

Just your passport would be fine. When you get to the Canada/US border, you are not allowed off the train. No customs people there. I don't remember them checking for passports up there.

That's true of some excursions, but there are others where you do get off the train to visit the Klondike, so you'll definitely need your passport for entry into Canada and return to the U.S. for those.

On 8/21/2024 at 8:38 AM, Greg4502 said:

That is specific to select excursions. More than half of the excursions are not round-trip via train and involve some other means of transportation, many with stops at the far end or partway between the transition. In those cases, they do check passports.

When we did the Bennett Lake tour, the Canadian officials came through the whole train and wanted us to have our passport open to the photo page and held next to our head. For the return bus ride, the bus driver had collected our passports and had them at the ready, along with a small form where he tallied the number of passengers and confirmed that it was an exact match for the outbound train ride. (Can't remember if he had to show the passports, or merely show that he had them at the ready.)

• Like 2