Purchasing packages onboard

Beamafar

1 minute ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Just a comment:  When I added the Plus package when booking a 10 day cruise...$1200...my TA reduced my total fare by $160.  No bank is giving that rate of interest!  Otherwise, I would have waited.........

No such luck here.  As it is, with the lousy Princess exchange rate, we’re actually paying almost $65 pppd for the Plus package now (€1856 in total for 2 on a 16 nighter). 

Posted (edited)
On 8/22/2024 at 12:33 PM, Beamafar said:

Thank you for that.

I’m not keen on giving a TA/cruise company any more money upfront than I need to.  Final payment for us is 15 weeks prior to sailing. If I wait til onboard, my credit card bill for onboard spending won’t be due for payment til the end of February.  I’d rather have the money earning interest in my account than in theirs. 

I’ll keep an eye out for any news about Plus cost being increased;  I’ll consider pre-payment if and when that happens. 

If you are earning 5%, that’s $12 for a 7 nighter. I’ve never seen it, but theoretically packages can sell out.  That is even more likely with the new Premier90.

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, phabric said:

If you plan to upgrade Plus to Premier while onboard you pay the 18% service charge.

Thank you.  The Premier package doesn’t interest me.  If it’s so difficult to book SDs I can’t see the value.  If I want more expensive wines I’ll just pay the difference. DH only drinks beer, so he’s well-covered.  As long as we’re covered for drinks, gratuities and wifi we’re good. 

26 minutes ago, phabric said:

If you plan to upgrade Plus to Premier while onboard you pay the 18% service charge.

21 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Thank you.  The Premier package doesn’t interest me.  If it’s so difficult to book SDs I can’t see the value.  If I want more expensive wines I’ll just pay the difference. DH only drinks beer, so he’s well-covered.  As long as we’re covered for drinks, gratuities and wifi we’re good. 

I should have read before posting, while using my phone, fat fingers. Asking for sister, her first time getting Plus.  I am not interested in the Premier myself.

If you plan to upgrade from Plus to Premier while onboard DO you pay the 18% service charge?

3 minutes ago, phabric said:

I should have read before posting, while using my phone, fat fingers. Asking for sister, her first time getting Plus.  I am not interested in the Premier myself.

If you plan to upgrade from Plus to Premier while onboard DO you pay the 18% service charge?

I haven’t sailed Princess before, but it would seem odd to add a service charge when there’s already gratuities built into the packages. 

Just now, Beamafar said:

I haven’t sailed Princess before, but it would seem odd to add a service charge when there’s already gratuities built into the packages. 

If you have Standard fare, if you purchase a drink they add 18% to your drink cost, that is why I am asking for her

24 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

There is no service charge on the packages, only for drinks ordered at a bar without a package or a specialty dinner or casual meal without a package.

Just now, Retired-N-Happy said:

There is no service charge on the packages, only for drinks ordered at a bar without a package or a specialty dinner or casual meal without a package.

Thank you.  That’s what I thought.  Phabric meant to ask if there was a charge rather than state there was one. He/she corrected it in a following post. 

4 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

or not on the SD as some are posting they got charged the 18% even with prepaid or a package 

4 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Thank you.  That’s what I thought.  Phabric meant to ask if there was a charge rather than state there was one. He/she corrected it in a following post. 

You're quite welcome.  As you have done, we also have put MSC in our rear view mirror, although after two sailings instead of your 28.  We did the YC back in 2018 on the Seaside and did steerage last year on the Meraviglia.  Not our cup of tea.

On 8/22/2024 at 11:02 AM, arizonaperson said:

I have definitely heard that it’s extremely easy once you’re onboard ( have to use the credit card that you have secured as your onboard charges to your folio )the ship to add the plus or premier cruise package and it’s pretty instantaneously and you can grab your first beverage if you so desire as soon as that is done or get on the Internet right away, etc. etc.

I have heard from other passengers that it’s super easy to do once onboard ,no real delay. I do believe you can do it right on your app all  by yourself or you can enlist the help one of the crew members stationed about the ship that is offering this.

There might be some sort of online items that are not available up to let’s just say three days prior to your cruise. I’m not sure on the timing, but some items are not able to be done within a 1 to 5 day window prior to your cruise?? ( not sure on this,others chime in)

Their is a table set-up when you board for upgrades & you can make any upgrades right at that table. 

Tom😀

• Thanks 1