Cheese in the MDR

gah_cruise

How do you find the quality and choice of the cheese option in the MDR?
We sailed on Sky last year and frankly, the cheese offering in the MDR was very poor...far far better was available in the buffet.

We are sailing again on Sky soon (ex Southampton) and wondered what anyone else thought of what is currently being offered onboard

2 minutes ago, gah_cruise said:

How do you find the quality and choice of the cheese option in the MDR?
We sailed on Sky last year and frankly, the cheese offering in the MDR was very poor...far far better was available in the buffet.

We are sailing again on Sky soon (ex Southampton) and wondered what anyone else thought of what is currently being offered onboard

is that cheese an app, entree, or dessert?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I was particularly interested in the dessert option.....served with crackers

Edited by gah_cruise

Posted (edited)

@gah_cruise without actually seeing a dessert menu on The Sky here is just one example. The cheese offerings might change in the main dining room nightly ?? One example in the main dining room is Brie and Gouda cheese with dried apricots & port wine reduction.

Perhaps when you order your dinner, you can ask for a dessert menu and if you don’t see a particular cheese that you like maybe at that time they could get exactly what kind of cheese that you desire as long as you place your order well before the dessert comes for the rest of the table??

I think just ask and you’ll never know otherwise, talk to your waiter or the headwaiter or whatever their title is and see if you can get something that’s more interesting to your palate.

As far as the quality of the cheese, I think that’s probably very subjective. Or go to the buffet before you go to the main dining room and secure the cheese you want if it’s better quality for you. 

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, arizonaperson said:

@gah_cruise without actually seeing a dessert menu on The Sky here is just one example. The cheese offerings change in the main dining room nightly as you’re probably well aware. One example in the main dining room is Brie and Gouda cheese with dried apricots & port wine reduction.

Perhaps when you order your dinner, you can ask for a dessert menu and if you don’t see a particular cheese that you like maybe at that time they could get exactly what kind of cheese that you desire as long as you place your order well before the dessert comes for the rest of the table??

I think just ask and you’ll never know otherwise

yup ....the only choice last year was Brie and Gouda.......hardly inspirational.

1 minute ago, gah_cruise said:

yup ....the only choice last year was Brie and Gouda.......hardly inspirational.

so, P has better cheese's in the buffet that you can get at most times then, correct? - what are those?  and what kind of wine should I be looking at to pair with?

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

so, P has better cheese's in the buffet that you can get at most times then, correct? - what are those?  and what kind of wine should I be looking at to pair with?

if I recall in the buffet there were whole rounds of Stilton plus numerous other offerings.
You choose your wine to your palate...I cannot offer advice 🙂

• Thanks 1

This was from someone’s post on the Island Princess recently ,I know not the ship that you’re ( to Op/ author) going on but… I would think the dining room could accommodate your request if done it in advance.

IMG_1265.thumb.jpeg.2d2f45f4ec32b5de0e100f2fe348e53f.jpeg

1 hour ago, gah_cruise said:

I was particularly interested in the dessert option.....served with crackers

It's been awhile, but I remember gruyere, brie and maybe blue?  There were also some dried fruits.  In all, I wasn't impressed.

Just now, Kay S said:

It's been awhile, but I remember gruyere, brie and maybe blue?  There were also some dried fruits.  In all, I wasn't impressed.

did they just squirt the cheese, or give you the whole can?🥂

• Haha 6

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, voljeep said:

Yes.

I have never, ever known the MDR to present a suitable cheese plate as a last course.  When we dine out we frequently order a cheese plate to help finish off a bottle of wine, especially if said wine would clash with something sweet.  Or we do both and have a cheese plate first with our wine, followed by a dessert.  This style of dining is not an option in the MDR on any ship we have been on.  And the selections at the buffet look like what one might have attempted to assemble as a cheese plate in 1974.  The only things missing are the round, orange ball of "Port Wine "Cheese" covered with nuts and a jug of Riunite Lambrusco. 

image.jpeg.5f370f17ea6f218f2b405fe9591e6ff3.jpegRiunite Lambrusco

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, gah_cruise said:

if I recall in the buffet there were whole rounds of Stilton plus numerous other offerings.
You choose your wine to your palate...I cannot offer advice 🙂

Last month in the buffet on the Grand cheeses were white and yellow and all tasted alike

• Thanks 1