Are there any bottled waters in the restaurants?

MarkWiltonM

2 hours ago, christraveller said:

There are process, supervision and training issues here. 

The Vero sparkling is too salty and under carbonated.   Makes sense, it is desalinated on board. 

The filtered Vero waters are served at room temperature, quite horrible, really. There is no ice near the guest tables, so the poor staff have  trudge off to find ice, served in a separate glass on a plate. Every. Single. Time. 

20% of refills got the still vs sparkling wrong. 

This needs rethinking!

Spot on.  My husband would have to ask for ice every meal, and apparently that is a hard commodity to source as many times we would be almost to dessert before it appeared.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2024 at 9:38 PM, GaitherBill said:

I don’t get the hate for the water in the refillable bottle in suite. Tastes comparable to the heavily filtered water I have at home, which regularly garners compliments. 

And despite what the morning announcement says, plastic water bottle have definitely not been “eradicated”. 

Just look at all the soda bottle at the bar. 

agreed - we are fussy and had no issue with the water they supplied

We travel on Silversea regularly and this is a big issue for us. We always ask for Pellegrino and Acqua Panna, and it’s only when we start complaining that we get bottles delivered to our room. Their bottled water is horrible, and my sensitive stomach does not tolerate it. I drink very little alcohol, and don’t see why having glass bottled water is any different from having a bottled soft drink.

As others have said, it’s purely a cost cutting exercise and nothing to do with the environment.

Edited by dilly2
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, dilly2 said:

We travel on Silversea regularly and this is a big issue for us. We always ask for Pellegrino and Acqua Panna, and it’s only when we start complaining that we get bottles delivered to our room. Their bottled water is horrible, and my sensitive stomach does not tolerate it. I drink very little alcohol, and don’t see why having glass bottled water is any different from having a bottled soft drink.

As others have said, it’s purely a cost cutting exercise and nothing to do with the environment.

When was the last time you were on Silversea? I ask because we were aboard in the late Spring and at that time there was no Acqua  Panna or Pellegrino after a few days. We had requested it thru Special Services to no avail. My husband needs the AP because it helps to prevent kidney stones(alkalinity). We were told they (Silversea) could not help us.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 2

We were on Dawn late June this year (Norwegian Fjords)

The butler found us bottles of AP and we always managed to get SP in the restaurants if we asked nicely and explained. It always seemed available without question in La Terrazza.

But the posts here have worried me, as we’re on Nova in January.

This is not just about SS, but a trend across the industry.  On the new Explora Journeys we were only able to get the water made aboard.  Trying to get a bottle of Pelligrino or Perrier was generally met with "not available" although sometimes it magically appeared.  On our recent Oceania and Seabourn cruises, Pelligrino and/or Perrier were usually available upon making the request.  But both of these lines "pushed" their shipboard made water (either plain or sparkling).  To be honest, we thought the regular (non gas) was fine with a completely neutral taste.  The system used to process this water is good and the water probably safer than most bottled waters.  Many folks tend to drink bottled waters from plastic bottles and all of these floods your body with "micro plastics" which are starting to become somewhat controversial.

Our problem is that we really enjoy both Pelligrino and Perrier.  The gas water, made aboard ships, is simply the processed (reverse osmosis) water which is infused with CO2.  This is different than the decent bottled mineral waters such as Pelligrino and Perrier.  It does seem that a higher end line, like SS, should offer what the customer wants, not what some "suits" and environmental activists view as "this is what you get!"

Hank

• Like 3

I think you'll find most cruise ships are doing this , due to the world wide move towards sustainability and the impact cruising has on the environment.  I was really impressed when I saw these measures on Virgin earlier this year, especially when you consider some of the fragile environments these ships enter.

I thought their policy to only have two sugar free drinks on board was a bit harsh,  They only had Coke Zero (yuck) and Sprite Zero available, despite requests for 'something else' way in advance.  We ended up bringing our own soft drinks (Fanta Exotic Zero, that we purchased in Reykjavik) with us, and I feel they could have done better (with the amount of notice we gave them). We rarely drink alcohol, so it didn't feel like whipping down to the local supermarket for passengers was a big ask.  On a 16 night cruise of Greenland, Sprite and water got a bit boring (considering how much we paid).

Edited by AusMum

3 hours ago, dilly2 said:

We also drink a good deal of water daily.  In June we received 4 bottles (26oz) of Panna daily on the Muse as requested.  Perfect!!  We did eventually get confirmation for our Panna request on our upcoming Nova cruise but the TA had to call 6-8 times so I am concerned.  The water they provide is tolerable for a couple glasses but not something we want to drink 3-4 litres of a day.  The amount of water they provide is also not a healthy amount.  I guess I'm supposed to call the butler 4-5 times a day to fill the bottles.

There are now "eco-friendly" containers for water which IMO would be better on excursions and for the environment than all those heavy metal things going in the land fill.

If SS can't provide us with a decent tasting and quantity of water we will move on.  One persons missing in suite Champagne upgrade is anothers drinking water.

Earlier this year we were initially told no, but with persistence, ultimately got Pellegrino in our room on the Nova and Muse (at least until they ran out toward the end of the cruise). However, just off the Endeavour where Pellegrino was supplied upon request with no push back and was available throughout the cruise.

BTW, the food, beverage and service on the Endeavour were quite good and it felt like the Silversea of old. Hoping things are changing for the better, but suspect Silversea is  saving its "A game" for Expedition (or at least the Endeavour).

Despite having almost 400 days on Silversea, we had cancelled all but our January cruise on the Shadow in favor of trying out the competition (Explora, Crystal and Regent) in 2025. If the Shadow is like our experience on the Endeavour we might reconsider, but I'm not holding my breath.

On 9/23/2024 at 10:57 AM, sea bright said:

BTW, the food, beverage and service on the Endeavour were quite good and it felt like the Silversea of old.

Agree and it was a fine adios to SS.    Glass bottles of Panna, not a problem.  Even some familiar staff.  Good luck with Shadow.....you're very brave.

• Thanks 1