Boston hotel to cruise port UBER question

4 hours ago, tourismtessy said:

Do the Uber drivers take you right up to the ship where you drop off luggage or do they drop you and pick up (at end of cruise) somewhere else?

They will drop near the porters. Pick up might be a bit easier if you walk somewhere afterwards, but unlike people who live in big cities and think nothing of walking a few blocks with luggage we just wait near the porters. Their idea of a short walk, to those of us who drive everywhere, is a major hike, even without luggage. 

1 hour ago, Junebug624 said:

Do you have to use the porters?  What is the alternative?

You need to use porters for larger luggage. A carry on, the size of which you would be allowed to carry on an airplane, can be brought onboard by you personally. But anything larger needs to be checked with the porters outside the pier. No alternative. 

16 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

You need to use porters for larger luggage. A carry on, the size of which you would be allowed to carry on an airplane, can be brought onboard by you personally. But anything larger needs to be checked with the porters outside the pier. No alternative. 

That's interesting. At other ports we've sailed out of, any luggage that can fit in the security scanner is acceptable to be carried on board, including many larger luggage, not just carry-ons. Many people carry relatively large suitcases on board. Are you saying that's not allowed in Boston? As to the question about using porters, all you do is hand them your bags and watch as they deposit them in the luggage carrier racks that then get loaded on the ship. At least that's what happened when we sailed out of Boston last month.

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

That's interesting. At other ports we've sailed out of, any luggage that can fit in the security scanner is acceptable to be carried on board, including many larger luggage, not just carry-ons. Many people carry relatively large suitcases on board. Are you saying that's not allowed in Boston? As to the question about using porters, all you do is hand them your bags and watch as they deposit them in the luggage carrier racks that then get loaded on the ship. At least that's what happened when we sailed out of Boston last month.

You can take suitcases onboard yourself as long as they are the right size 

1 hour ago, Hot Stop said:

You can take suitcases onboard yourself as long as they are the right size 

That was my point. I was questioning the statement that you couldn't carry on board anything bigger than an airline carry-on sized bag. In my experience, you can bring on board larger suitcases, as long as they fit in the security scanners. This has been my experience in Princess's North American ports like PE, Galveston. San Pedro, Seattle and Brooklyn.

6 hours ago, lx200gps said:

That's interesting. At other ports we've sailed out of, any luggage that can fit in the security scanner is acceptable to be carried on board, including many larger luggage, not just carry-ons. Many people carry relatively large suitcases on board. Are you saying that's not allowed in Boston?

I think my comment is being blown a little out of proportion-- I was commenting on the general practice, not hard and fast rules. I haven't seen anyone in 4-5 times sailing out of Boston carry a large suitcase onboard but I don't doubt that its possible. 

But the vast majority of folks use the porters to bring large cases aboard. If everyone, or even a majority, carried their suitcases onboard it would be a nightmare.