LAFFNVEGAS LIVE to Alaska on the HAL Westerdam August 25, 2024

9 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I will now fill you in on earlier today. It was an early morning since our excursion to to meet at 7:45 so got up at 6 was up in the Lido at 6:40. Fortunately our excursion was right at the pier directly below our Signature Suite. We did the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman. The morning was very cold rainy and foggy but the ship The Aleutian Ballad was definitely set up for the protection and comfort of the guests. There were overhead heaters, despite it raining you really did not get wet. You could see and hear everything. Plus it was informative. Interactive and extremely interesting and entertaining. I have to say it was definitely one of the best tours we have ever taken.

Afterwards there really was not enough time to do anything in Ketchikan plus it was raining.  So headed back on the ship and then had lunch in the Main Dining Room, had an excellent Seafood Chowder and Tuna Chedder Melt and Custard.

Then came back to our cabin and could not keep my eyes open so took a nap. 💤 

IMG_6512.jpeg

IMG_6514.jpeg

IMG_6516.jpeg

IMG_9388.jpeg

IMG_6522.jpeg

IMG_9400.jpeg

IMG_6529.jpeg

IMG_6536.png

IMG_6537.jpeg

IMG_6540.png

IMG_6544.jpeg

IMG_6553.jpeg

IMG_6555.jpeg

IMG_6557.jpeg

IMG_6564.jpeg

IMG_6573.jpeg

IMG_6574.jpeg

IMG_6575.jpeg

IMG_6576.jpeg

Great pictures, when I worked in Ketchikan the bald eagles were everywhere, never saw so many gathered in one group before for guess what?  It was no special nature event, it was to meet the fishermen coming back to port for the day, they'd dump their buckets of chum and the eagles would feast on it.  

I will have to remember this excursion, sounds amazing and realistic.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ski ww said:

Is that the night they serve the Baked Alasken?

No the Baked Alaska will be tonight the last night. This was more to give your appreciation to the servers, and those working in the galley preparing the food.

• Like 3

Good morning from somewhere in the pacific. 
My eyes hurt, the Sun is so bright 😅 seriously though this is the first day I have seen the sun since we left Vegas.

Today will be a day of eating,

we will be doing the Alaska Brunch 9:30, then in the Lido is the Cake Me Away, then tonight we return to the the Lido.

IMG_6586.jpeg

IMG_6587.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for bringing us along on your wonderful Alaskan cruise.

On our June Eurodam Alaska cruise, the waiters sang farewell to us on the second gala evening and encouraged us to wave napkins.  Our happy family delighted in that fun.  Nice celebration.   Good memories.

Barbara

IMG_4031.jpeg

IMG_4032.jpeg

• Like 8

Juice: Pineapple

Fruit: Assorted Fresh Berries (no cheese)

Main: Ham and Beecher's Cheese Monte Cristo Sandwich (no fries)

Dessert: Banana Fosters Pancakes with Walnuts (if not possible, Wild Berry Crisp)

• Like 1

I had the Fig and Berry Parfait, then the Halibut Sandwich, then the Banana Fosters Pancakes. Of course a Mimosa and Coffee.
Then Marcia had the Bread Bowl Salmon Potato Chowder, Then the Biscuits and Gravy with Raindeer Sausage, then she had the Triple Berry Tart. 
Tom had the Alaskan Blueberry Pancakes, the Halibut Sandwich and the Wild Berry Crisp.

IMG_6590.jpeg

IMG_6591.jpeg

IMG_6592.jpeg

IMG_6593.jpeg

IMG_6594.jpeg

IMG_9519.jpeg

IMG_9518.jpeg

IMG_6597.jpeg

IMG_6598.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I forgot to order a Mimosa!  😲

Cannot forget the mimosa 😋 the mimosas are actually really good since they switched to the Wycliffe Sparking Wine for their House Bubbly.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Lots and lots of Cakes at the Cake me Away.
Marcia asked for the Creme Brulee cake and Confetti Cake, we are not sure what she got. What was the Creme Brulee was more of a Caramel Fudge not sure of the other cake. Tom had Black Forest Cake and Strawberry Shortcake and I had the Rainbow Cake and Strawberry Shortcake.

IMG_6599.jpeg

IMG_6600.jpeg

IMG_6601.jpeg

IMG_6602.jpeg

IMG_6603.jpeg

IMG_6604.jpeg

IMG_6606.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I was recently on an RCCL Alaskan cruise with friends who are frequent RCCL passengers. We had the napkin waving parade two nights in a row and we found it to be very annoying. The friends had never seen in done before on any of their previous RCCL cruises. Maybe it's a "new thing" in cruising.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I was recently on an RCCL Alaskan cruise with friends who are frequent RCCL passengers. We had the napkin waving parade two nights in a row and we found it to be very annoying. The friends had never seen in done before on any of their previous RCCL cruises. Maybe it's a "new thing" in cruising.

Not new - MSC does it. And Carnival has been doing it for years as well as full on song & dance routines involving the diners.

It has been done on my last 3 HAL cruises (Oct '23 - Jan '24).

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Lots and lots of Cakes at the Cake me Away.
Marcia asked for the Creme Brulee cake and Confetti Cake, we are not sure what she got. What was the Creme Brulee was more of a Caramel Fudge not sure of the other cake. Tom had Black Forest Cake and Strawberry Shortcake and I had the Rainbow Cake and Strawberry Shortcake.

IMG_6599.jpeg

IMG_6600.jpeg

IMG_6601.jpeg

IMG_6602.jpeg

IMG_6603.jpeg

IMG_6604.jpeg

IMG_6606.jpeg

Those cakes look fabulous!  But the last day of a cruise is always such a bummer.

• Like 3

Can't wait to see what you order.  I would like the iceberg lettuce wedge, baked halibut with mashed potatoes and asparagus, and chocolate souffle, please.  Have a great last night on board, and thank you again for letting us cruise and dine with you.  Cherie

• Like 1

Iceberg Wedge, no cheese, 1000 Island

Candied Bacon

Small cut Ribeye w/shallot red wine bordelaise

Side sautéed onions & green beans

Chocolate Souffle 

Cappuccino 

Wheelbarrow to roll me out afterwards 🥴

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes

Baked Alaskan Halibut

Roasted baby beets with blue cheese

Sauteed mushrooms

Assorted cheeses

Capuccino + drambuie

Thank you for taking us along on your trip and sharing your excursion and dinner experiences. Looking forward to Westerdam in February 😃

• Like 1