Interesting Nautica Tidbit

ORV

On 8/27/2024 at 6:19 PM, SophieM said:

I’m taking Nautica notes, Orv. We’ll be on Oct. 6. 

Will Steve still be the CD on the 10/6 sailing? Inquiring minds want to know. 🙂 Also, who is the GM?

On 8/26/2024 at 7:29 AM, ORV said:

Steve Campbell, from UK, Leeds. I think I’ve seen him before but can’t remember when

If I’m not mistaken he was our CD on that March 2023 Riviera sailing to (almost) Bermuda. He had just recently joined O.  He previously served on Princess. I’ve sailed with him several times on Princess and quite enjoyed him. But I heard (from Jan) he wasn’t that well received on Riviera due to what I was told was a “less than” performance during trivia. When I spoke with him he indicated that he was working out the cultural shift from P to O.  I like Steve and I hope he’s doing well there. 

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

If I’m not mistaken he was our CD on that March 2023 Riviera sailing to (almost) Bermuda. He had just recently joined O.  He previously served on Princess. I’ve sailed with him several times on Princess and quite enjoyed him. But I heard (from Jan) he wasn’t that well received on Riviera due to what I was told was a “less than” performance during trivia. When I spoke with him he indicated that he was working out the cultural shift from P to O.  I like Steve and I hope he’s doing well there. 

You are correct. We discussed that last night. At least that we had met on that cruise to Jacksonville. 

• Like 1

So sometimes I have to laugh at myself when I realize something I’ve never put together. For years I’ve talked to one of the maitre d’s that works in Terrace, Polo or Toscano. I’ve seen him on almost every cruise I’ve been on with Oceania for the past 15 years and thought he must be the hardest working guy they have. So a couple of days ago I find out there is 2 of them, identical twins, Ernesto and Jaime. They are both on this cruise. I’m sure many of you long timers knew this, but somehow I’ve missed this. That certainly explains how I could have seen him so often over the years. I guess I should look at a name tag every once in a while. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

On 8/26/2024 at 11:04 AM, Twiga said:

It seems that a U.S. Coast Guard inspection needs to be done before the Nautica arrives in the U.S.  Hence the inspection in Scotland. 

If the ship has not been in the US for more than 24 months, the Certificate of Compliance is no longer valid, and it has to be renewed before the ship can enter US waters to embark passengers, so the USCG would send inspectors overseas (at Oceania's expense) to conduct the inspection.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

If the ship has not been in the US for more than 24 months, the Certificate of Compliance is no longer valid, and it has to be renewed before the ship can enter US waters to embark passengers, so the USCG would send inspectors overseas (at Oceania's expense) to conduct the inspection.

According to the GM this ship has never been to the US

1 hour ago, ORV said:

So sometimes I have to laugh at myself when I realize something I’ve never put together. For years I’ve talked to one of the maitre d’s that works in Terrace, Polo or Toscano. I’ve seen him on almost every cruise I’ve been on with Oceania for the past 15 years and thought he must be the hardest working guy they have. So a couple of days ago I find out there is 2 of them, identical twins, Ernesto and Jaime. They are both on this cruise. I’m sure many of you long timers knew this, but somehow I’ve missed this. That certainly explains how I could have seen him so often over the years. I guess I should look at a name tag every once in a while. 

Looking forward to seeing if we remember them, too. 

While I haven’t really done a live from report here I will report that so far we’ve made all our ports on this cruise. So far being the operative word. Today is a sea day and our Captain just announced due to a medical emergency we will be turning around and heading back to Iceland. Unfortunately someone needs medical attention that requires more than the ship’s capabilities. It will require several hours. We left Iceland at 6pm yesterday. It’s now 9:20 am, 10:20 in Iceland. 

We’re hoping all works out for the passenger that needs attention. This is more important than any of our vacations or plans. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, ORV said:

I guess I should look at a name tag every once in a while. 

If you can read the latest version of O name tags without sticking your face 12 inches from their chest, you've got better eyes than mine.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, DrHemlock said:

If you can read the latest version of O name tags without sticking your face 12 inches from their chest, you've got better eyes than mine.  

I know right? Especially since I need reading glasses 🤓 for anything within 18 inches of my eyes. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ORV said:

Thats a surprise to me also..I did not know Jaime had a twin..I think I will see him again on Regatta 9/26..Orv I too remember our cruise IN San Pedro..LOL

Hope you are having a great time and winning at trivia..say hi to Teresa for us..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

15 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Thats a surprise to me also..I did not know Jaime had a twin..I think I will see him again on Regatta 9/26..Orv I too remember our cruise IN San Pedro..LOL

Hope you are having a great time and winning at trivia..say hi to Teresa for us..

Jancruz1

Well if you didn’t know then I don’t feel so silly. We’re having a good time and winning here and there. There’s some good competition. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2024 at 10:47 AM, ORV said:

While I haven’t really done a live from report here I will report that so far we’ve made all our ports on this cruise. So far being the operative word. Today is a sea day and our Captain just announced due to a medical emergency we will be turning around and heading back to Iceland. Unfortunately someone needs medical attention that requires more than the ship’s capabilities. It will require several hours. We left Iceland at 6pm yesterday. It’s now 9:20 am, 10:20 in Iceland. 

We’re hoping all works out for the passenger that needs attention. This is more important than any of our vacations or plans. 

Today the Captain 🧑‍✈️ updated us that the passenger is doing fine and is comfy. That’s good news as sometimes these situations aren’t so good. We’ll miss a port, so what?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

If that cookie is really that much better than the others, please tell the powers that be to keep making it and to send the recipe fleet wide. Cranberry Pecan is a classic combination.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@ORVDid you do the scenic sailing through Prince Christian Sound when you went to Greenland? O doesn’t list it like WS does. I’m wondering if it’s something that O does but just doesn’t list. 

For info:

Marina this year had it listed on the itinerary.

Then it was removed from the itinerary.

They then, close to the date, announced they were transiting…..which they did.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@ORVDid you do the scenic sailing through Prince Christian Sound when you went to Greenland? O doesn’t list it like WS does. I’m wondering if it’s something that O does but just doesn’t list. 

We did, it was beautiful but a bit rainy. It was listed on our itinerary as that. 

• Thanks 1

Just another little thing. Waves grill now takes your order at the table. This has been in effect pretty much since the Evening pizza went in and the menu changed more or less to reflect the same as Vista. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, ORV said:

Just another little thing. Waves grill now takes your order at the table. This has been in effect pretty much since the Evening pizza went in and the menu changed more or less to reflect the same as Vista. 

Interesting. I guess there is a menu then. Not having been on the Vista, how does that work?

16 minutes ago, SophieM said:

Interesting. I guess there is a menu then. Not having been on the Vista, how does that work?

Yes, on the table and on the wall. I’ll try to take a picture later. 

40 minutes ago, ORV said:

Yes, on the table and on the wall. I’ll try to take a picture later. 

No worries! For some reason, I got cornfused and was thinking it was Terrace. I get it now, except where do you order if you want to sit somewhere other than Waves?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SophieM said:

No worries! For some reason, I got cornfused and was thinking it was Terrace. I get it now, except where do you order if you want to sit somewhere other than Waves?

You order the pizza in Waves and they give you a number, which you can take with you inside Terrace, depending on the weather or your druthers.  Not to worry, they will find you.  We're concluding the same voyage, where the weather was cold and rainy on most days, whether a sea or port day, and the very helpful serving staff in Waves/Terrace got our ordered Pizza to us inside Terrace on three different nights without a problem.  The pizzas were Delish -- crust was thin and crisp, just like we like it!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, redraider1966 said:

You order the pizza in Waves and they give you a number, which you can take with you inside Terrace, depending on the weather or your druthers.  Not to worry, they will find you.  We're concluding the same voyage, where the weather was cold and rainy on most days, whether a sea or port day, and the very helpful serving staff in Waves/Terrace got our ordered Pizza to us inside Terrace on three different nights without a problem.  The pizzas were Delish -- crust was thin and crisp, just like we like it!

Are you on Nautica getting off today?