Cognac cut-back

Hlitner

Here on the Encore, where I am somewhat friendly with several of the bar tenders, I never am sure what treat awaits when I sit at a bar.  Last evening, I sat down at the Observation bar, and the bar tender put a cognac glass in front of me and brought over a bottle of Clos du Ducs VSOP.  This is the first VSOP, I have seen since boarding the ship in late August.  While not my favorite pour, that Armagnac is arguably comparable to many of the VSOP cognacs.  

Hank

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Here on the Encore, where I am somewhat friendly with several of the bar tenders, I never am sure what treat awaits when I sit at a bar.  Last evening, I sat down at the Observation bar, and the bar tender put a cognac glass in front of me and brought over a bottle of Clos du Ducs VSOP.  This is the first VSOP, I have seen since boarding the ship in late August.  While not my favorite pour, that Armagnac is arguably comparable to many of the VSOP cognacs.  

Hank

Has your friendly bartender provided any insights into all of these changes?  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, galeforce9 said:

The cutbacks of course!

Thanks!  LOL.  While we loved our trip, we can see the bar cost cutting changes from previous trips. We’re not big drinkers however, it’s very obvious in the liquor selection.  We did chalk it up to being at sea longer in places where getting supplies replenished is problematic however, the single malt scotch was a biggie.  We may bring our own.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Moihereoui said:

Thanks!  LOL.  While we loved our trip, we can see the bar cost cutting changes from previous trips. We’re not big drinkers however, it’s very obvious in the liquor selection.  We did chalk it up to being at sea longer in places where getting supplies replenished is problematic however, the single malt scotch was a biggie.  We may bring our own.

Biggie for me too. My in room tipple and after dinner drink 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Moihereoui said:

But…..we shouldn’t have to. 

• Like 5

On 9/6/2024 at 6:47 AM, Hlitner said:

A thought occurred to me, today, and I hope it is wrong!  A few fellow cruisers have talked about the "Hollandization" of Seabourn.  As folks who have spent hundreds of days on HAL, we trust that is just grumbling with no merit.  However, about 16 months ago we were on HAL's Westerdam for a 42-day cruise.  Although Courvoisier VSOP was covered by their Signature drink package, there was none to be had on the entire ship for our 6-week voyage.  One bar tender told me that there had been none for many months.  So those with drink packages either had to pay extra for higher end options (like Remy XO) or go without!  Now, we are on the Encore where we have a somewhat similar issue with cognac.  And if one believes in coincidences, we might consider the fact that the new President of Seabourn comes from the HAL family.  

As a fan of SB, I want to believe that what has happened on this ship (regarding Cognac) is just one of those things and will soon be rectified.  

Because of you and a number of your posts elsewhere I just started looking here. Hopefully the caviar is still generously available?

8 hours ago, clo said:

Because of you and a number of your posts elsewhere I just started looking here. Hopefully the caviar is still generously available?

Never a problem ordering caviar from room service, at a bar, or in the Restaurant.  Ask and ye shall receive whether you want a single or double portion.

Hank

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Never a problem ordering caviar from room service, at a bar, or in the Restaurant.  Ask and ye shall receive whether you want a single or double portion.

Hank

Thanks, Hank. Perhaps looking for a change for an occasional cruise so this is good info.