Royal Suite vs. Penthouse Suite on Summit

We are booked on Summit in November and are debating if we should upgrade our Royal suite to the penthouse.  Or another way of saying that is my wife wants to and i dont see the value given there are only 2 of us cruising and it seems like a waste for that large of a room and balcony. Are there any additional perks that come with the Penthouse that we wont get with the Royal?  Anything aside from the extra room we will get?

Thoughts?  Just some stats, it will cost $3k to upgrade now or we can bid on it starting at $800pp for a 'weak' bid. 

thx

It's true that two of you would be 'rattling around' in the PH, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. 

A couple of upsides:  You'll have a full size fridge in your butler's pantry.  There are times when that's nicer and more convenient than the mini-fridge, and even in a RS, that's all you get on an M class ship. 

The interior dining space is very nice if you plan to have meals served there, but while the real benefit is the size of the table (the non-rev M class table seats six nicely, don't know about Summit) and it's just the two of you.

The other big upside, of course, is the amazing veranda.  If you plan to travel with others, you can make that veranda 'party central' if you like.  It's far more space than you'd really need for two people, and cries for a gathering of some sort.  But you say you're traveling alone, so unless you want to invite your roll call over for an event, it's not going to be used that way.

It's definitely a unique experience any way you cut it.  You don't say what your itinerary is, but looking at the Summit November schedule, those are all 7nt RT San Juan cruises.  With highs in the mid-80s every day, you'd have plenty of opportunity to check out the veranda, but there's a port every day except for the run back from Dominica, so I don't know how much time you'd have to spend there.  Where these particular cabins are sweet is on a TA with family!

In the end, will probably be a 'whatever makes the wife happy' event for you.  These cabins disappear quickly on cruises where a lot of veranda time is going to be available, and on many others as well, so this might be your ideal chance to give one a try.

• Like 2

My father owned a Travel Agency.  There was a sign there that said "If you can afford to go First Class and don't - your heirs will do so".

We've been in the PH on Constellation, and have 2 cruises booked next year for the PH on Summit.  Truely the most amazing thing about the PH is the balcony deck.  There's also a lot more pampering and attention all over the ship.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We've stayed in both the Royal and Penthouse suites on Summit.  We loved them both but since it was just two of us traveling, we thought the penthouse suite was just a little too big for us.  It's huge and the outside area is enormous.  

At the end of the day, we preferred the royal suite not only for price but because it was just the right size for the two of us. Additionally, the balcony is also big and has a nice jetted hot tub on it (as does the PH suite).

If you have the money and it would make your wife happy, go for it.  We always wanted to stay in one but for us it was one and done.  We figured that the additional money we'd spend for a PH suite we could put toward another cruise. 

• Like 4

Have done royal many times including March and booked for next March, for two I think the space is fine , big plus on penthouse is second bathroom, for a few hundred bid I go for it , wouldn’t do full price. On S class royal has an extra half bath. But same perks, liquor setup two liters of your choice and free specialty restaurants. I do believe you will be treated extra special by butler, concierge etc ( did win move up on edge to penthouse)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've stayed in both on the Summit.  If you can get the PH for only $3,000 more, I say go for it.  That separate kitchen area is worth it.  The butler can come in the morning and drop off coffee and whatever else without waking you up.  The refrigerator has an icemaker, so no more calling down for ice when you want it.  And, yes, that balcony.  I wasn't too impressed with the balcony of the RS--they tried to cram too much furniture into too small a space.  And the PH has two full bathrooms.  And you will score major points with your wife!  You may even love it!

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That Penthouse is amazing. Best cruise ever, I sailed solo in the PH on Millennium. Was treated like absolute royalty!  Invited several new friends met onboard for en suite dinner, drinks. The restaurants and officers knew me on sight, my precious butler went above and beyond suggesting ways to make my trip truly special.

$3000?  I’d upgrade in a heartbeat. The memories will be worth it.

• Like 1

I have stayed in the PH on every Celebrity ship class (even the old Horizon and Century) and must say that the M class PH is the best one. No contest. The RS on M class has only one bathroom and not nearly as nice a living space as the PH. The M class PH was great cruising the Panama Canal, South America, Pacific costal, Caribbean... even a TA. We were in one over Christmas that they decorated for us with a full size artificial tree! 

There are perks above the RS that are not formally in place and somewhat HD dependent. There is special on ship recognition that you only receive in the top suite on the ship. I think that the extra cost of $3000 is a bargain and will not last long.

Ok, apparently most of you are agreeing with my wife... She was going to get her way anyway, but i at least fell better asking the question... 

All kidding aside, thanks for all the great info and someone asked which cruise. Its the November 2, southern carrib. which is port intensive and another reason i was fighting the upgrade, but i hear you, more positives than negatives to upgrade. Well the only negative is $3k...

Thanks again for the input.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, billc23 said:

I have stayed in the PH on every Celebrity ship class (even the old Horizon and Century) and must say that the M class PH is the best one. No contest. The RS on M class has only one bathroom and not nearly as nice a living space as the PH. The M class PH was great cruising the Panama Canal, South America, Pacific costal, Caribbean... even a TA. We were in one over Christmas that they decorated for us with a full size artificial tree! 

There are perks above the RS that are not formally in place and somewhat HD dependent. There is special on ship recognition that you only receive in the top suite on the ship. I think that the extra cost of $3000 is a bargain and will not last long.

Nothing like a deck 6 PH view looking back through the locks of Panama (if you've already seen it from the other end)! 

On M class and S class, where the RS are represented in the top 10 cabins aboard amongst a total of 1,092 (M class) or 1,425 ~ 1,525 (various S class), we have noted that the recognition seems to extend to all 10, if not the unwritten additional PH+ perks.  We've also noted differences in HD practices on a particular cruise.  Have never been sure if those were at the direction of the Hotel Director, or just the rare butler who was given the 'liberty' to make our journey the best it could be, even if a good bit beyond the published 'perks'.

As for a more specific case:  While traveling in an M class RS on a long TA cruise, they once missed sending us a 'door card' spelling out the time and place for an upcoming event whose schedule wasn't known at boarding, but that they knew were were really wanting to attend.  When we didn't put in an appearance, they evidently sent out a search party!  Found us in Cellarmasters and made sure we made it to the event, albeit a little bit late.

In another 'card' foul up for an event not locked down at boarding, we were once sent a card welcoming us to the Tuscan for dinner, making note of the usual $25 (or whatever, back then) pp upcharge, etc. etc.  This was so far removed from anything we had planned that I ignored it until the next afternoon when I dropped in at the Tuscan to inquire as to why we had received the specialty dining card.  They apologized profusely, explaining that we should have instead received the Champagne Tasting card for that event being held in the Tuscan the previous evening.  They asked if we were still interested in the event, and darned if they didn't set up the tasting dinner again for just the two of us that evening.

Right after the COVID restart, it was necessary to-retest between B-?-B cruises (B2B, B3B, whatever one was doing).  Rather than just leave the instructions on the bed the night before turn day as is more common, they got us all together to explain what the process would be, how and when to schedule a new COVID test with the infirmary, how to deal with the results, and what the disembarkation and embarkation process would be.  Everyone was of course paranoid that they might not pass the intermediate test and their BwhateverB would come to a crashing halt.  Fortunately, everyone passed.  However, during that meeting in Blu, my wife left a Celebrity bag with a purchase she had made between her chair and table.  Fortunately, the Seapass receipt was still in it, so they knew to whom it belonged.  Rather than just returning it to our cabin, Paolo, one of the Retreat hosts and one who had been there with us during the B2B meeting, took the time to track her down and hand deliver it to her some 30 minutes after the fact, worried that she'd be wandering around trying to figure out where she had left it.  As in the first example, they somehow located her amongst a ship full of pax.  It's really hard to beat that kind of service.

Congratulations @20165 on the upgrade (assuming you are going ahead)!

Can anyone comment:  which M class ship would you choose for a PS (or are all the M class PS the same).  I'm sorry if I should have started a separate thread on this, it's just that there are a lot of knowledgeable comments already in this thread....

16 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

Can anyone comment:  which M class ship would you choose for a PS (or are all the M class PS the same).  I'm sorry if I should have started a separate thread on this, it's just that there are a lot of knowledgeable comments already in this thread....

All four of the M class PH suites are the same with regard to layout.  So the space and amenities you'd find either way (apart from a grand piano - more on that later) won't vary.

That said, a few years back, Celebrity decided to "Revolutionize" their fleet.  They didn't quite get that completed before COVID hit, and so not all ships received this 'updated' treatment.

Let me preface this by saying we haven't spent any time at all in an M class PH in a 'Revolutionized' ship.  Infinity and Constellation remain pre-rev.  Part of the 'rev' process has been to install all new furniture in staterooms and public spaces, and in general, the ergonomics of the new furniture has been fairly widely panned here and elsewhere.  However, one of the other pieces of the redeco puzzle was to bring some of the darker/wood/old school areas into the new, brighter and blander gray and taupe era.  This includes what was once called Michael's Club (now the suite lounge) and upper level suites with the old decor.

So there's that to consider, and it's largely a matter of personal preference.  Even if you were to choose Constellation, all of the PH soft goods were replaced during the late 2021 dry dock.  Sat our keisters on brand new couches in December 2021.  So while the old school look remains, there's the new but comfortable non-rev furniture to enjoy.

As for the grand piano, last we saw, they remained in both Infinity and Constellation PH, but we heard they were removed from Millennium and Summit as part of the 'Revolution'.  Our jumping around and avoiding the 'rev' ships prevents us from commenting on those last two.  Perhaps someone else can confirm.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, canderson said:

All four of the M class PH suites are the same with regard to layout.  So the space and amenities you'd find either way (apart from a grand piano - more on that later) won't vary.

That said, a few years back, Celebrity decided to "Revolutionize" their fleet.  They didn't quite get that completed before COVID hit, and so not all ships received this 'updated' treatment.

Let me preface this by saying we haven't spent any time at all in an M class PH in a 'Revolutionized' ship.  Infinity and Constellation remain pre-rev.  Part of the 'rev' process has been to install all new furniture in staterooms and public spaces, and in general, the ergonomics of the new furniture has been fairly widely panned here and elsewhere.  However, one of the other pieces of the redeco puzzle was to bring some of the darker/wood/old school areas into the new, brighter and blander gray and taupe era.  This includes what was once called Michael's Club (now the suite lounge) and upper level suites with the old decor.

So there's that to consider, and it's largely a matter of personal preference.  Even if you were to choose Constellation, all of the PH soft goods were replaced during the late 2021 dry dock.  Sat our keisters on brand new couches in December 2021.  So while the old school look remains, there's the new but comfortable non-rev furniture to enjoy.

As for the grand piano, last we saw, they remained in both Infinity and Constellation PH, but we heard they were removed from Millennium and Summit as part of the 'Revolution'.  Our jumping around and avoiding the 'rev' ships prevents us from commenting on those last two.  Perhaps someone else can confirm.

Thank you so much!

Our first X cruise was in the Summit PH in 2002.  It was magical!  I’m solo now (DH passed) but I’ll be placing a MoveUp bid for my spring Panama Canal cruise.  Roll Call party if I win! 🥂🍾

• Like 2

You've gotten great advice on this thread.  I just want to add this: I've been blessed to have cruised on most luxury lines in their top suites, and the Summit PH is the best suite I have cruised in.  I continually chose this suite over luxury lines (and their upgraded service, food and less people) or the newest Celebrity ships because it is so spectacular. I hope that you are sitting on the balcony one day enjoying this experience and your wife says to you "I told you!".  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

You've gotten great advice on this thread.  I just want to add this: I've been blessed to have cruised on most luxury lines in their top suites, and the Summit PH is the best suite I have cruised in.  I continually chose this suite over luxury lines (and their upgraded service, food and less people) or the newest Celebrity ships because it is so spectacular. I hope that you are sitting on the balcony one day enjoying this experience and your wife says to you "I told you!".  

Well said, my late husband and I ‘plunged’ for the M PH on three cruises and we had no regrets. We had imagined the beauty of the space for breakfast, sitting out in the afternoon and enjoying the occasional dinner on but it was the beauty of the space at night that stunned us. Lying on the comfortable sun beds, staring at the stars, listening to the sound of the ocean, seeing light reflecting in the wake…

20165, make some wonderful memories, they are priceless…

• Like 2

10 hours ago, texkat said:

The post-revolution Millennium PH does not have the piano. The video I linked a few posts upthread is a walkthrough of that PH in Sept 2022.

I see that now.  So did you try to get into and out of this one?  How did it go?  😄

Chair.jpg.708337271e85bae47cdddfb949ed877e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

They are the same structure but the revolutionized ones have a somewhat different layout. I find the furniture used on the revolution PH fine and actually more comfortable than the older style, especially the outside area. I'll put some photos below of the older style (Infinity). Note the dining table seating, the piano, the living room furniture, and the deck furniture.

69175874353__05D6FF27-0C0D-49C2-AF5C-F03FF7280DE22.thumb.JPG.9fcae1d2c182b16784b09beaa29d9160.JPG

69175857351__860F5A57-8722-4A71-BA3E-340FD6F12FE2.thumb.JPG.b91e383d687c6d1db648e70856bd599b.JPG

69175854869__C7520D60-6B22-44C3-8674-0486B14AFE9D.thumb.JPG.aadabb75a39fcb1c99366319475729a7.JPG

Her are some photos from the revolutionized ship:

IMG_0459.thumb.JPG.5c3d1f11c265aba57d5872874d6232fe.JPG

IMG_0458.thumb.JPG.441c9d9f68b8f2c6c626771596f86e62.JPG

IMG_0457.thumb.JPG.499212e88a48393a79ec182a75ff2476.JPG

IMG_0452.thumb.JPG.8518bcaab873a9efcc5fc2340876873a.JPG

IMG_0451.thumb.JPG.b34c32a5c0068cd6b4f7ef5c486ff8cc.JPG

as far as extra attention - special lunch:

IMG_07512.thumb.JPG.7944bf635aafab44f41bd2c623f0c545.JPG

Setting up for a small party:

IMG_08232.thumb.JPG.90bcd7ea599f7302fa234bdc3f442a55.JPG

IMG_0817.thumb.JPG.60fbb8ba8304c2db43350bffa430704b.JPG

What's not to like???

IMG_0819 2.JPG

Edited by billc23
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, canderson said:

I see that now.  So did you try to get into and out of this one?  How did it go?  😄

Chair.jpg.708337271e85bae47cdddfb949ed877e.jpg

I used it as much as the piano that was in this spot. When the ship was rocking it would mysteriously spin in a circle!

69175875843__F76C16D0-67E6-4615-8FAE-196EF6A6907B.thumb.JPG.18106e10edcc5f35e0cf75fbf609c6fb.JPG

IMG_8330.thumb.JPG.460b754d619c4f529b0c044d1e886bf5.JPG

This room is 6148. 

Edited by billc23
  • Haha 1